You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
Watch a youtube video, every single DIY job imaginable has a video 
It would damage this forums' reputation
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:46pm

This isn't a DIY but more a general household question. 

Can anyone recommend a good alarm company. Phonewatch have an offer for €99 install and a monthly €40 monitoring fee for a 12 month contract. This is the deal. Are they worth it or is there a better provider out there?

Installation includes: 1 central control unit with GSM, 1 keypad, 2 PIR camera detectors, 1 smoke detector, 1 door contact, and any 2 other sensors of your choice. Also included: 1 bell box for the outside of your home, keytags to arm/disarm your alarm, and a smartphone app.

Now with FREE Remote Control (RRP €50)

Edited by MC Hammered - 05 May 2020 at 3:47pm
El Puto Amo
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:52pm
the days of phone watch and the likes are gone when you can do it yourself through Google nest and the likes. you can get decent cameras and google nest for about same price you pay phonewatch over 12/18 months. . 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good alarm company. Phonewatch have an offer for €99 install and a monthly €40 monitoring fee for a 12 month contract. This is the deal. Are they worth it or is there a better provider out there?

Installation includes: 1 central control unit with GSM, 1 keypad, 2 PIR camera detectors, 1 smoke detector, 1 door contact, and any 2 other sensors of your choice. Also included: 1 bell box for the outside of your home, keytags to arm/disarm your alarm, and a smartphone app.

€40 a month? That seems pretty steep. I got an alarm off this crowd a few years ago:

Can't recall how much the initial set up was but the monitoring fee is an annual payment of €135. I don't think it has all the bells and whistles of the deal referenced above but if you're looking for a cheaper alternative it might be worth checking out. It does have a smartphone app too however which is definitely handy.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:59pm
I've long since come to the conclusion that alarms are simply not worth the cost, especially if you are paying a monthly fee.

If somebody wants to rob your house or car, they'll find a way.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:15pm
Much better off with a self monitored option with phone app so you can see instantly. By the time Phone watch contact you or your nominated contact, verify the alarm is genuine, contact the Gardai, and then Gardai arrive, the lads are safely back in their caravans watching Crime Call on your telly.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I've long since come to the conclusion that alarms are simply not worth the cost, especially if you are paying a monthly fee.

The whole monthly / annual maintenance charge is some rip off.
The guy used to come out for 15 mins and that was 100 quid.

I’ve stopped using them but still have the box.

Here in London they will break into your house whilst you are there, not one F*** given.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:58pm
As others have said I would go the DIY route. I installed a 'Response' wireless intruder alarm ( no cameras) which will phone up to 3 numbers if it goes off . Just needed a telephone line
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The whole monthly / annual maintenance charge is some rip off.
The guy used to come out for 15 mins and that was 100 quid.

I’ve stopped using them but still have the box.

Here in London they will break into your house whilst you are there, not one F*** given.

I've looked into this a bit - from a security perspective I came to the realization as I said above if they want it, they'll take it.

2 examples.
A guy I worked with, his friend owned a high performance Audi worth about 80k+, the car was locked up in secure lock at night and the same again in work.

The guy was pulled out of the car at a traffic light and the car was never seen again.

Another friend has his Telsa stolen outside his house, they lifted the car over another car, cloned the key fob etc...and not seen again.

Apparently the Tesla model he had was a very secure car.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

As others have said I would go the DIY route. I installed a 'Response' wireless intruder alarm ( no cameras) which will phone up to 3 numbers if it goes off . Just needed a telephone line
Theres also a digi dialler option, just stick a sim into it and it circumvents the landline being cut.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Just installed yale smart sync system at home myself . Very happy with it. Good build quality, customisable for your needs and excellent non subscription app that gives you complete control, no wires, works with alexa voice and routines.

I got three pirs, three window/door sensors, smoke alarm, bellbox and keypad for under €350 on amazon.

Can customise to up to 40 devices inc keyfobs, panic buttons

Integrates with their cameras and smart locks too.

Email, sms, geo location and push notifications free on the app. 

As others have said, someone will break in if they really want to. There is insurance for contents, it's just to warn you if you happen to be home. Monitoring not worth the cost. 

Edited by Saint Tom - 05 May 2020 at 7:15pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 7:21pm
This whole sector is set for serious change with the like of alexa guard coming to Ireland in the near term, already available in uk and usa. 

You just want a brand that will integrate with your smart hub. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:56pm
Idiot deserved to be carjacked for not locking his doors while driving. Surprised his Audi didnt lock automatically, mine does and its much older than his.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:12am
That's it Gary, blame the victim .

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:51am

That's it Gary, blame the victim .

LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:08am
blame the victim for living in Dublin 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Idiot deserved to be carjacked for not locking his doors while driving. Surprised his Audi didnt lock automatically, mine does and its much older than his.

The anti hijack feature (lock after 5 mph reached) can be turned on and off in most cars. But then again he might have just had the window open!!

Re house alarms, I really don't see the point. When a neighbours alarm is going off how many people actually check everything is ok rather than cursing them wanting it off ASAP!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The anti hijack feature (lock after 5 mph reached) can be turned on and off in most cars. But then again he might have just had the window open!!

Re house alarms, I really don't see the point. When a neighbours alarm is going off how many people actually check everything is ok rather than cursing them wanting it off ASAP!

This.

I remember being in bed one morn cursing a neighbours alarm that was going off from early doors - say from 5am until... i actually figured out it was my own EmbarrassedLOL

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
  Share Topic