You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Meyler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 101>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:04pm
Unlucky with injuries but a bang average player. 

Had some good moments when he played for ireland but I don't understand why people are eulogising about him.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
In fairness, I think it’s paying respects to a former Captain, who has had his career cut short.

Like I said before, in another life, he goes to WC 18 as our Captain.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:11pm
He was always very committed to the cause and helped us with big performances in a few big games. 

Shame for him that he has to retire fairly young. Can see him slipping into a media role he kind of fits the profile.

And it comes at a perfect time with FIFA 20 out in September!

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, I think it’s paying respects to a former Captain, who has had his career cut short.

I dont think he should ever have been capt. He went from nowhere to capt under oneill.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:35pm
Very average player but Put in a few great shifts for us. Well wishes
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
gutted about this always liked him from when he was at sunderland , i remember on twitter he wrote "future ireland captain" fair play to him he achieved it

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:49pm
He then went from being captain to not being in the squad in what seemed like the blink of an eye. He sat beside MON at that press conference said something like "these Danish lads aren't up to much"the 1-5 debacle followed and his feet didn't touch the ground 

Odd Ireland career for him.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 5:21pm
DM was a very good footballer. What he lacked in ability he made up for in terms of his decision making on the pitch. Always seemed to read the game well. He’s an absolute gem of a fella too. Best of luck with a new chapter in life Davey Thumbs Up
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:56pm

Hes retiring in his 30s a millionaire from a sport he enjoyed.
I think he's going to be fine 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Yeah, because no rich sportsman ever had any issues after retiring. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yeah, because no rich sportsman ever had any issues after retiring. 

You're confusing retirement with mental health issues and depression that also manifests itself during players playing days. (Football isn't a cure)

Mayler will have a lot of other career option open to him, coaching, punditry etc.
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 12:59pm
Mad, seems like yesterday he was being touted as our next Roy Keane. When I first made an account here, a number of SUFC fans had him ahead of Jordan Henderson. Shortly after he had the first of a number of bad injuries and never quite hit the level he was expected to after that.

Had a few good moments for us and I'm sure he'll do well whatever he goes on to do.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:00pm
This fckin idiot back again now as left foot Wacko
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

This fckin idiot back again now as left foot Wacko

I really don't know what you're talking about Dublin doc. I'm not a troll and I'm not whomever the idiot Is you're accusing me of. 

If you have an issue with my opinion here please let me know what it is? 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm

He may well be.

But we should acknowledge his contribution.
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 2:14pm
Could never fault his commitment, so can't ask any more than that, but always felt he was so close to being a very good player that it was a little frustrating he never quite got there.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:55pm
Good interview with Meyler on off the ball now.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
Saw him last night on rte panel and lets be honest he was awful. Very baige and he rambled on about nothing really a few times. I was like what was the question david?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 101>
  Share Topic