FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Meyler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 101>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Saw him last night on rte panel and lets be honest he was awful. Very baige and he rambled on about nothing really a few times. I was like what was the question david?

Cork people shouldn't be on the telly period. Awful awful accent 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:04pm
i lost a bit of respect for him when he was full of bravado before the denmark 1-5 game talking to media......then on the way
out of the ground head down massive headset on his head  not even looking at the reporters...couldnt even say 'well beaten' or something
oh yeah the 'look ' in interviews is a real gaa thing now and 'the lads' 'working hard' blah blah 
Come on Irelind
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:34am
Had to laugh at his story about Steve Bruce telling him and Henderson that they'll be marking Ballack and Lampard and that the Chelsea players legs have gone. End up losing 7-2 or something like that LOL

There's almost no point in asking players like Meyler about O'Neill & Keane's faults as coaches/managers. They either don't see the faults or because they played under them for club & country, they're unwilling to give an honest opinion.

Did well to make a good career for himself despite 2 bad cruciate injuries on the same knee.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm not doubting the injuries took their toll, but I think the reality is that he probably just lost his hunger for the game and saying he's retiring due to previous injuries is a convenient way to tie things up. The reality is that he's hardly been injured at all since he last done his knee, so I'm not sure it tallies that his body has suddenly just given up.

I think you're absolutely right. Too many outside distractions.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Saw him last night on rte panel and lets be honest he was awful. Very baige and he rambled on about nothing really a few times. I was like what was the question david?

A lot of “Look” 
Where did all this Look come from in interviews - the Gaa???
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:19pm
I'm not doubting the injuries took their toll, but I think the reality is that he probably just lost his hunger for the game and saying he's retiring due to previous injuries is a convenient way to tie things up. The reality is that he's hardly been injured at all since he last done his knee, so I'm not sure it tallies that his body has suddenly just given up.
We're decent enough..
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:16pm
Very sad for him the way his career panned out. He was excellent aged 18 and 19, injuries just killed him. Fair play to him for carving out a career, a mate of mine would be good pals with him from years ago and he’s had to deal with a lot off the field. His mam was unwell, his wife had a couple of miscarriages and he never got the break career wise that his talent deserved. People who looked at him over the last couple of years like to jeer him and criticise him - they didn’t see him 10 years ago before he got crocked. A super player who can feel hard done by when he looks back on how things worked out.

I hope he does well with whatever he does going forward.

Edited by bundy - 11 Sep 2019 at 9:16pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:02pm
Totally different setup obviously. He's just talking about his injuries, his career etc. How Kenny Dalglish was interested in signing him for Liverpool when they signed Henderson. A few interesting bits in it.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:55pm
Good interview with Meyler on off the ball now.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 2:14pm
Could never fault his commitment, so can't ask any more than that, but always felt he was so close to being a very good player that it was a little frustrating he never quite got there.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, I think it’s paying respects to a former Captain, who has had his career cut short.

Like I said before, in another life, he goes to WC 18 as our Captain.

Hes retiring in his 30s a millionaire from a sport he enjoyed.
I think he's going to be fine 

He may well be.

But we should acknowledge his contribution.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

This fckin idiot back again now as left foot Wacko

I really don't know what you're talking about Dublin doc. I'm not a troll and I'm not whomever the idiot Is you're accusing me of. 

If you have an issue with my opinion here please let me know what it is? 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:00pm
This fckin idiot back again now as left foot Wacko
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 12:59pm
Mad, seems like yesterday he was being touted as our next Roy Keane. When I first made an account here, a number of SUFC fans had him ahead of Jordan Henderson. Shortly after he had the first of a number of bad injuries and never quite hit the level he was expected to after that.

Had a few good moments for us and I'm sure he'll do well whatever he goes on to do.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

In fairness, I think it’s paying respects to a former Captain, who has had his career cut short.

Yeah, because no rich sportsman ever had any issues after retiring. 

You're confusing retirement with mental health issues and depression that also manifests itself during players playing days. (Football isn't a cure)

Mayler will have a lot of other career option open to him, coaching, punditry etc.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:42am

Yeah, because no rich sportsman ever had any issues after retiring. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:56pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 101>
  Share Topic