You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you speak Irish?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: How well do you speak/understand Irish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.94%]
16 [25.40%]
32 [50.79%]
10 [15.87%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you speak Irish?
    Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:26pm

How are you when it comes to speaking/ understanding Irish? Most people don't use it once they finish school.

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:32pm
Did honours for my leaving cert and love the language, it's a dying one but I still enjoy speaking it when I am locked when bitching about a taxi man

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:35pm
Kids are enrolled to the local Irish school so meself and the Missis are going to try and use it around the house. Anybody know of any easy ways or good courses out there?
Chips don't bounce
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:42pm
Did honours in the Leaving as well and got an A2, had a brilliant teacher and loved the class. The Stair na Gaeigle was a pain in the hoop but if ya learnt it, it was easy marks.

Was almost fluent leaving school but never kept it up after leaving and really regret it. Could still hold a decent conversation but wouldn't be near the same standard as i was 10 years ago
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:47pm
Confuses the f**k out of traders when your trying to haggle for something. Talk English to your man and Irish to your mate.
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Did honours in the Leaving as well and got an A2, had a brilliant teacher and loved the class. The Stair na Gaeigle was a pain in the hoop but if ya learnt it, it was easy marks.

Was almost fluent leaving school but never kept it up after leaving and really regret it. Could still hold a decent conversation but wouldn't be near the same standard as i was 10 years ago
why didn't you do it in college lad? The fella teaching it was the best Irish teacher I ever had. The whole emphasis was on speaking irish more fluently. About the only module I enjoyed in that **** of a course and prob the only one I turned up to more than 50% of the time
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 10:57pm

+1

The way it's taught in school is an absolute joke. Why do you have to stories and poems in Irish. Should be 70% at least on speaking the language rather than the bullsh*t that surrounds it.
Theres only one sport that matters..
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:00pm
sorry state that i did 14 years of irish and barely a lick and yet four years of chinese has me half fluent

does annoy me a lot though I dont have it and do my best to keep it, have my phone set to irish and little things like that
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

sorry state that i did 14 years of irish and barely a lick and yet four years of chinese has me half fluent

does annoy me a lot though I dont have it and do my best to keep it, have my phone set to irish and little things like that

The fact that the vast vast majority of the country is the same just proves that there is something majorly wrong with the way it is taught.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:03pm
Studied it up til 2 years ago as I did for my first 2 years in College.

Wouldn't say I'm 100% fluent but could certainly hold a good conversation as Gaeilge.
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:10pm
Got an A in my Leaving Cert at Ordinary level. Was well able for honours but the teacher was absolute sh*te and we didn't get along so I just walked out of the class one day and into the Pass class.

In fairness the teacher I had for Pass was the best teacher I ever had. She passed away there around Xmas time. Absolute shame because the school is lost without her i'd say.

Can hold a conversation to a good standard and i'd understand whats going on when watching matches on TG4 alright.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:13pm
My Gaeilgeoir brain only switches on after 5 pints.

Great for talking about burds behind their backs when travelling. Thumbs Up

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:33pm
I know a lot more French than Irish. I could have a very basic conversation in French. I could hardly introduce myself in Irish. I never seen how it could benefit me so I didnt bother putting any effort into it.

I probably know more Spanish than Irish too and that was just from one year doing it and watching football on Spanish streams.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 01 Apr 2013 at 11:35pm
ceannaire View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceannaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I know a lot more French than Irish. I could have a very basic conversation in French. I could hardly introduce myself in Irish. I never seen how it could benefit me so I didnt bother putting any effort into it.

I probably know more Spanish than Irish too and that was just from one year doing it and watching football on Spanish streams.

Sadly that is how many see it. But, really, speaking your native tongue should never come down to a point of whether it is beneficial or not.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

The fact that the vast vast majority of the country is the same just proves that there is something majorly wrong with the way it is taught.

Exactly.

They are though changing it so a much greater emphasis is on speaking it. Hope it works, be great is every could strike up a reasonable conversation.

14 years of been taught it and Im useless at it - I have better German and only did that for three years and t hat was first second and third yearCry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:46pm
Only way to learn a language is to speak it. Im fluent in English I'm proud to say
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:49pm
Between nothing at all and the odd bit. Passed it in the leaving barely. Was not one of me stronger subjects for sure
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 12:05am
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

why didn't you do it in college lad? The fella teaching it was the best Irish teacher I ever had. The whole emphasis was on speaking irish more fluently. About the only module I enjoyed in that **** of a course and prob the only one I turned up to more than 50% of the time

You know right well why!! Bohs fan, big tits, you knew it made sense!! Wink
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic