You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cork Film Festival

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cork Film Festival
    Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:51am
This is a message aimed at anyone from Cork and anyone in Ireland who has ever attended or been part of the Cork Film festival -

One of the worlds oldest Film festivals - a great Irish and cork annual event - In a very bizarre turn of events the two main people behind the festival for the last 33years Mick Hannigan and Una Feely - were sacked by the board -

This is not good for the festival - I first met Mick Hannigan and Una as lecturers when I attended Crawford College of art and design - I set up a film society and had the pleasure of their guidence and help - I worked with Mick as a selector for the short films section of the festival and I also worked with him on the 'where's me culture' a rebellion against the whole city of culture event. Mick and Una are very commited to their jobs and without their involvement, well I would really wonder if the festival could survive - Mick & Una have travelled the world as promoters and advocates of Irish film, the respect he has earned world wide, well it would be damn hard to find in any other people. You can't buy that sort of dedication and experience.

some info by mick about the board.
People have been asking "Who are the board of Cork Film Festival?" Here is a list of names, plus some background on how the board functions,

Denis McSweeney,Chairman. ex-marketing executive of Ford motor company, one-time sponsors of the festival.
Danjoe Colemen, Accountant, Company Secretary.
Michael O'Connell, Solicitor, board member since 1986.
Finola Doyle-O'Neill, lecturer in History Dept., UCC.
Sebastian Green , retired Professor of Management, UCC.
Mary McCarthy, Director of The National Sculpture Factory.
Tadgh O'Donovan, marketing executive with Glenn Ellen Foods.
Valerie O'Sullivan, Director of Corporate Affairs, Cork City Council.

Are there any filmmakers on the board?
No. There are no film directors, producers or craftspeople.

Are there non-Cork residents on the Board.
No, all board members are long time residents of Cork.

Who appoints the Board?
New board members are invited on by existing board members. The one exception to this is Valerie O'Sullivan who was nominated by the City Manager of Cork City Council
Valerie is essentially a City Council nominee and represents the Council's interests on the board.

Is there Board Rotation? No
Most charitable and semi-State boards Board members serve for three years and can be reappointed for a further three years. This is not the case with The Cork Film Festival Ltd. While there is natural wastage or as happened recently, resignations on matters of principle, Board members go on year after year. At the AGM each year, three directors 'step-down' but are immediately reappointed.

Who is the Board answerable to?
The Board is not answerable to anyone. As long as the board act in accordance with the company's Articles of Association and abide by legislation covering company directors they are free to do as they wish.

If people are unhappy with the recent actions of the Board what can they do?
Other than exerting moral pressure or communicating displeasure with recent actions, there is little can be done. The board, though trustees on behalf of a wider public, are not obliged to listen to or act on the views of that wider public. Stakeholder pressure can however be brought to bear. Festival audiences are important stakeholders.

Is this healthy?
It's most unhealthy to have a structure which enables a self-appointing, self-perpetuating board to have untrammelled control over a company which is established to serve a wider public, The board is unaccountable and for a charitable organisation this, in my opinion, is unhealthy.

He issued this on his facebook - there will be an emergency meeting held by the Lord Mayor of cork to try and salvage the situation. If anyone on here is interested - please take the time to write a message to support them.

WHAT CAN BE DONE?

Many people have offered support and contacted us wondering what they can do to help; to help both Úna and I but also to help Cork Film Festival which is clearly in crisis right now.

I believe that the Board of the festival took a wrong decision in removing the management and programming team. Not just wrong in terms of dealing with employees but wrong in their obligation to act in the best interest of the company. Sacking Úna and I has damaged the reputation of the festival locally with audiences and festival partners, also the event's reputation within the Irish arts and film community and also internationally.

A charitable interpretation of the Board decision is that it was made within the bubble of a Board meeting without considering the wider implications. And they could not have foreseen the response of all those who admired the festival.

The intervention of the Lord Mayor of Cork therefore is significant. He has called for an urgent meeting between the Arts Committee of Cork City Council and the Board of Cork Film Festival. I can only imagine this is out of concern for the festival and indeed for the city which the festival serves.

So, if people are concerned about the situation, I urge that you contact your Cork City Council representative or indeed the Lord Mayor, John Buttimer directly and make your feelings known. His email address is lord_mayor@corkcity.ie

Tourism, Art and Culture Functional Committee
Cllr. E. O’Halloran
Cllr. D. Cahill
Cllr. P. Gosch
Cllr. K. McCarthy
Cllr. G. Gibbons
Cllr. J. Kelleher
Cllr. L. Kingston
Cllr. T. Fitzgerald
Cllr. K. O’Flynn
Cllr. T. Brosnan
Cllr. T. Gould
Cllr. F. Kerins
Cllr. T. Tynan
Cllr. M. Finn
Cllr. J. Kavanagh

If you could take the time it could really help.

hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:54am
done
Whacha gonna do
LayneVedder View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LayneVedder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:55am
Heard about this alright, awful blow for a great festival, will get on it. Best of luck.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 11:18am
here is a letter my friend Clair Mac sweeney wrote, it would give you an idea of how you can help.

Dear Lord Mayor
I was shocked & dismayed to hear Tuesday on Twitter of the decision of the board of Cork Film Festival to let Mick Hannigan & Una Feeley go from their positions.
When I saw the Examiner today and your decision to call a meeting with the Arts Committee & the Board I was on my way to town to collect my children and was delighted to tell them we are part of a town that cares deeply about people and honestly about the true meaning of culture.

We welcome a positive outcome from this meeting as my extended family, workplace & community value the tremendous passion, intellect & commitment that Mick and Una have brought to bear on one of the oldest film festivals on Earth.

When my husband Rico's brother Maurizio passed away suddenly from lung cancer in November 2011 Una and Mick dedicated a film so perfect to him as a festival photographer and friend; it was a film that showed urban change, decay, passing cycles of wealth and want through the wise, keen eye of a lens. It struck such a chord of grace with the Vallebella family who had come to Cork to say goodbye to Mauri. The tapestry of the Cork Film Festival that Mick & Una weave are made of threads like this.

Cork doesn't need a red carpet.
True Cork is the fibre of the filament of innovation, of imagination, of couldn't give a feck that births true stars and engenders a spirit of a sense of place; it celebrates the short film, the honest eye, the truth of the thing and makes a festival such as this iconic as a true reflection of said place and it is a reason why the Cork Film Festival is successful globally without having to pander to vague illusions of 'celebrity' success.

Any festival, business or organisation is as good as its people. Mick and Una are the lifeblood of the Cork Film Festival.
Their reinstatement will send a positive message locally, nationally, internationally that Cork cares about culture, about community, about film and why people make film.

Thank you for your attention to this; I hope for clarity at the meeting and an awareness that mistakes can be made and rectified. Together we are more than the sum of our parts.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:03pm
Well the situation with the current Cork Film festival has not been resolved, they have however got some help from friends and come up with this -

good news for independent movies makers.

New Film Festival for Cork
IndieCork Film Festival - October 16th – 20th

A new film festival for Cork will launch on May 1st it was announced today. IndieCork is the brainchild of a group with backgrounds in education, business, social and community initiatives, film and entertainment, all from Cork. IndieCork has amongst its founders, Mick Hannigan and Úna Feely, recently departed from Cork Film Festival.

Said Hannigan “ This is an exciting new venture, bringing independent cinema to independent-minded audiences. All the soundings we've taken point to enthusiasm for a festival which celebrates short films and independent documentaries and features. We are looking forward to creating an exciting and culturally rich event in October. We have had widespread support from our network of film contacts in Ireland and Internationally. We want to preserve Cork's reputation as a city that champions independent cinema.”

The Honorary Patron of the new festival is award-winning film director Ken Loach. “Throughout his career, Ken Loach has resisted the lure of Hollywood yet found international success and acclaim. IndieCork is thrilled that he immediately agreed to our invitation, citing his support for the vision of this new festival” said Úna Feely.

IndieCork will take place over five days, from October 16th to 20th, using traditional venues but also new screening spaces in the city. The full vision and plan for IndieCork will be launched on May 1st and film lovers and film makers are invited to mark the date in their diaries.

IndieCork will have a radical organizational structure for an arts event. Taking inspiration from Cork City Football Club, IndieCork will have a film fan membership structure. Supporters will be invited to buy a share in the festival, becoming part owners and trustees.

Úna Feely said “On behalf of the founders of IndieCork, we are delighted to be creating this niche festival for Cork. The emphasis will be on independent cinema. We look forward to being creative with the notion of independence, creating interesting events not only centered on screenings. We will offer diversity in our programming and support emerging filmmakers. We believe that this kind of vision and festival is suited to Cork and its rebel spirit”.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:29am
Mick Hannigan posted this on his facebook - I thought it was cool!

The Kindness of Strangers. Man stops me in the street just now "I'm not into the film scene at all, I'm into sports, but I read all about ye in the papers. It's a disgrace, ye made a great contribution to the city." I explain that we're soldiering on and doing another festival and that we're basing the ownership scheme on that of Cork City Football Club and they they are giving us great advice. Turns out he played with Cork City and with Cobh Ramblers. "I played with Roy Keane and Trevor Brooking and Liam Brady, I loved it. I wish ye the very best." Thank you Bob Donovan, I hope we met again.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:59am
Irelands newest independent film festival

http://indiecork.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic