You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by eire32 eire32 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

seem to remember you advocating abstinence this time last year eire 32??

i have lost all respect for the cathoic church in the past 12months..

get the f**k out of ireland!

Thank FUK Eire i thought this post was an attack on us Catholics Thumbs Up
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:42pm
This is only a good Friday , not a great Friday when I can drink till I fall if I chose to do so
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by Peake Peake wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Surely people can go one day a year without having the chance to drink?

Absolutely. However, drink laws such as this and the 10 O'Clock rule are outdated, showing a poor reflection on what is suppose to be a modern society.
Whats the 10 O'Clock rule ?

If you haven't scored by 10 O'Clock then any hole's a goal Thumbs Up
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:54pm
From next year on PP will open on Easter Sunday. Also I think the queues outside the offo's are a result of the fact that traditionally Good Friday is a very popular day for house parties so people are stocking up or them. Ill be playing beer pong at my house warming and I can't wait :)
HateHenry View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Crap at lists & YBIG KK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HateHenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:19am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

From next year on PP will open on Easter Sunday. Also I think the queues outside the offo's are a result of the fact that traditionally Good Friday is a very popular day for house parties so people are stocking up or them. Ill be playing beer pong at my house warming and I can't wait :)
ybig invitation....Party??
Polska Bialo Czerwoni
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:44am
Originally posted by eire32 eire32 wrote:

its like this no eating meat sh*te... had some auld one giving out to be in the pub last ash wendesday cause i was having a full irish!! "her words the youth of today and a dity look"!

i just starting to stare at her putting the sausage in and out of my month!!!

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:02am

Absolutely. However, drink laws such as this and the 10 O'Clock rule are outdated, showing a poor reflection on what is suppose to be a modern society.
Whats the 10 O'Clock rule ?

Offos can't sell alcohol after 10.

Work in a petrol station with an off licence, IMO it wouldn't be a great idea if they kept serving cheap drink after 10. All well a good the man or woman who come for a few cans or a bottle of wine for themselves but when you have alcos or scummers constantly being able to buy cheap booze all night long, well it's a recipe for disaster.

Do you not think it encourages binge drinking though? For example, people going in at half 8 need to stock up and dont know whether theyll have time to drink 6 or 8 cans before they head out so they'll always get 8 to cover themselves. If off licenses were open til 11 or half 11 people wouldnt buy in such bulk because theyd know they have an option to go down later.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:59am

Work in a petrol station with an off licence, IMO it wouldn't be a great idea if they kept serving cheap drink after 10. All well a good the man or woman who come for a few cans or a bottle of wine for themselves but when you have alcos or scummers constantly being able to buy cheap booze all night long, well it's a recipe for disaster.

There's nothing to stop a petrol station putting up a sign saying 'No Alcohol sold after XXXX time'. People would soon get the message. There was no need to change the law just to stop it getting messy for workers late at night. The law shouldn't have been changed for these reasons. 

Despite someone saying earlier that the 10 o'clock is an outdated law - it's not  - this law is only a recent change. I see many pubs breaking it, and selling cans after 10pm.  Bad law will always be broken.

As for the Good Friday ban on pubs. Stupid archaic sh*te and wrecks me head every year, given the minimal religious observation of people these days.  I wouldn't mind if it extended to all establishments, but allowing breakaway rules is just plain stupid.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Whats the <span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 1.4">10 O'Clock rule ?</span>

Do you not think it encourages binge drinking though? For example, people going in at half 8 need to stock up and dont know whether theyll have time to drink 6 or 8 cans before they head out so they'll always get 8 to cover themselves. If off licenses were open til 11 or half 11 people wouldnt buy in such bulk because theyd know they have an option to go down later.

Most people just come in and buy a 6 pack or a bottle of wine but you have a few people who would be in and out in the space of a few hours buying single cans and what not. I think an off licence being open from 10 30 to 10 every day is enough time to be honest.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 1:18pm
It was a change a few years ago at the behest of the vintners, ffs, to encourage people to drink in pubs. They knew that the vast majority of people buying booze between 10pm and 11pm in off licences before then were students and the like buying a few more before heading out and thought that inconveniencing them would help them make more money.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:07pm

Most people just come in and buy a 6 pack or a bottle of wine but you have a few people who would be in and out in the space of a few hours buying single cans and what not. I think an off licence being open from 10 30 to 10 every day is enough time to be honest.
I was down in Sligo a few weeks ago and I was going to an Indian restaraunt which was BYOB. I walked into Tescos at 22:05 to try to get a bottle of wine and a six pack but was told I couldn't because it was after 22:00. Now say what you want about alcoholism in Ireland or whatever but I was so fckin pissed off. How the fook is going to the offie 10 minutes earlier going to stop alcoholism in this country??? All I did was forget about this ridiculous law and I get penalised. I'd say foreign tourists think it's a joke also. As some pointed out earlier, if an establishment wants to stop serving alcohol at a certain time, that is fine, but to have it imposed by the state if ludicrous.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:10pm

Kevin Bridges on Twitter -

When i see you Jesus i go out of my head, i just can get enough, i just cant get enough, Crucified but he rose again and he walked the streets of Bethlehem

He died for our sins, he died for our sins, Jesus of Nazareth, he died for our sins

Na na na na na na na na na na Jesus Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus Jesus Christ

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I was down in Sligo a few weeks ago and I was going to an Indian restaraunt which was BYOB. I walked into Tescos at 22:05 to try to get a bottle of wine and a six pack but was told I couldn't because it was after 22:00. Now say what you want about alcoholism in Ireland or whatever but I was so fckin pissed off. How the fook is going to the offie 10 minutes earlier going to stop alcoholism in this country??? All I did was forget about this ridiculous law and I get penalised. I'd say foreign tourists think it's a joke also. As some pointed out earlier, if an establishment wants to stop serving alcohol at a certain time, that is fine, but to have it imposed by the state if ludicrous.

I think they have a similar law in Spain. Dont know about anywhere else. Even in Sweden you could buy 3.5% cans all night and thats the biggest nanny state Ive ever been in.

Btw, I worked in Tesco and after 10 the register doesnt let you scan it. Its a joke really because youd get people coming up about 30 seconds late and you can do nothing for them. I doubt the law's for turning though
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:49pm
I'm not sure about Spain dude, they don't really have concenience stores (Spar/Centra etc) and supermarkets are closed by 9 o'clock. I doubt very much there is a seperate law between selling alcohol in shops and bars but I could be wrong. I've seen cans in vending machines in Spain before.

I've never been in Sweden but I know about their strict alcohol laws.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
Can understand why people would be pissed off but if there wasn't a law do you think that someone should be able to buy a bottle of vodka or whatever at 3 in the morning when after a club closed?

Edited by seanyshuffler - 29 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 2:59pm

Can understand why people would be pissed off but if there wasn't a law do you think that someone should be able to buy a bottle of vodka or whatever at 3 in the morning when after a club closed?
A judgement call should be made by the person selling the bottle of Vodka. If the person is clearly drunk they shouldn't be sold the bottle of Vodka.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm

A judgement call should be made by the person selling the bottle of Vodka. If the person is clearly drunk they shouldn't be sold the bottle of Vodka.

A judgement call is made anytime someone's going to buy drink. Some people are able to hide how drunk they are. I think the law is fine as it is. Pubs are struggling enough as it is and off licences closing at 10 at least give pubs a chance of getting some business.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:10pm

A judgement call is made anytime someone's going to buy drink. Some people are able to hide how drunk they are. I think the law is fine as it is. Pubs are struggling enough as it is and off licences closing at 10 at least give pubs a chance of getting some business.

You sure?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic