Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ones that got away

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Aaron Lennon, Ryan Bertrand & Matt Kilgallon 

bertrand?

yep

how so?

FAI chased him when he was out on loan at various points but he was fast-tracked by the FA into the u21s then into the senior England team (main reason why they gave him a cap in the qualifier against Ukraine)
never knew that, he was clearly interested then? Shame.
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Franck Quedrue.......

Was looking at him earlier think he was a generation to late. Could be wrong though.

It was his great grandparent! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
danger here View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danger here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:08pm
Rick O'Shea, the infamous Zambian centre back who scored a world record number of OGs in a season
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Franck Quedrue.......

Was looking at him earlier think he was a generation to late. Could be wrong though.

Yeah, same as Di Santo too I think. And Mark Beeney. Beeney could have been amazing for us.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:15pm
Not sure is clint dempsey third or fourth so.
Brian mcbride was he another?
Will edit the list tomorrow or if someone wants to do it then be my guest
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Franck Quedrue.......

Yeah, same as Di Santo too I think. And Mark Beeney. Beeney could have been amazing for us.

Doubt he would have got much of a look in tbh.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

gwhite View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Nolan doesn't qualify to play for Ireland.

He does actually, at least now. When Stan was sniffing around for him he'd played for the England U-21's and wasn't eligible but after the the rule change he became eligible. I always thought he'd be a useful addition but his heart wasn't in it and it's too late now anyway.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:34pm

Originally posted by mccarticus mccarticus wrote:

Pat crerand
darren fletcher
gary mcsheffrey
Pat crerand never qualified to play for us, despite both his parents being Irish. FIFA law at the time was you had to be born in the country or live in it for two, I think, years.

I would seriously doubt it, the foremost qualification criteria for eligibility now is nationality as determined by the constituent country not country of birth, I would be surpised if it was any different then. All changes,tweeks etc stem from this basic concept  'if you have a countries nationality you can play for them'

Edited by Newryrep - 07 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:15pm
Wasn't Steve McManaman eligible?

Diego Forlan, don't know how far back his Irish roots go (also, source not cited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Uruguayan

I can't remember if it was tabloid hallucinations or if he said it himself, but Sean Dundee was eligible. His wiki page doesn't mention anything though.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

He was asked about this one night on TV3, he said his dad encouraged him to play for England because the country had given him a job, a place to live, etc and it was their way of giving back

which has to be the biggest load of cock i ever heard in my life, sickening attitude Dead 

i thought keowns parents were both from connemara, native irish speakers and keown can speak it as well, i read this in an interview in the sunday indo a fair few years back.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:38am

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Josimar (Josey Maher)
Begorra (played for Chile in 1982 WC)
Fran
Deco

Is that the Deco who played for Barca and Chelsea?

LOLLOLLOLLOL FFS seany
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:47am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Josimar (Josey Maher)
Begorra (played for Chile in 1982 WC)

Fran

Deco

Is that the Deco who played for Barca and Chelsea?

LOLLOLLOLLOL FFS seany

I'll admit it I went looking to see if I could find anything on them.
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:57am

sickening attitude Dead  

How so? It seems like a completely reasonable attitude to have. Playing for the country of your birth and immigrant parents having respect for the country which welcomed them.

In the not too distant future, when the Irish team has players whose parents hail from Eastern Europe, Africa or South America but were born and raised in Ireland, will you be sickened by the sight of them in the green jersey?

Also, the fact that Keown's parents were native Irish speakers is utterly irrelevant.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:07am
Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

sickening attitude Dead  

How so? It seems like a completely reasonable attitude to have. Playing for the country of your birth and immigrant parents having respect for the country which welcomed them.

In the not too distant future, when the Irish team has players whose parents hail from Eastern Europe, Africa or South America but were born and raised in Ireland, will you be sickened by the sight of them in the green jersey?

Also, the fact that Keown's parents were native Irish speakers is utterly irrelevant.

skylarking , the thoughts of my kids playing for any team other than ireland sickens me , i would support them if they did it but it would really be hard to take.

i am an ireland fan and will be delighted if the oyobanjos and podolskis and st. John Smythes line out for us , i will also understand if they chose to  line out for poland england or nigeria though as well. 

keowns parents come across like complete uncle toms to me " oh thank you england for giving us jobs and a house " how welcomed was he ? did he not have to scrap like every other paddy over there? was it not his skills that got him the job, his savings that paid for his house  ? it wasnt charity thats for sure.

now i dont know the people and if they are galway people then they are probably good stick but the attitude is beyond me , cant fathom it at all. DeadDeadDead

finnanselbow View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnanselbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:08am
Paul Gascoigne
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:08am

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

He was asked about this one night on TV3, he said his dad encouraged him to play for England because the country had given him a job, a place to live, etc and it was their way of giving back

which has to be the biggest load of cock i ever heard in my life, sickening attitude Dead 

i thought keowns parents were both from connemara, native irish speakers and keown can speak it as well, i read this in an interview in the sunday indo a fair few years back.

More likely due to the fact that we had Lawrenson, O'Leary, McGrath, Moran and McCarthy in that position when Keown was coming through, England didn't have anywhere near that level of quality at centre half when Keown got picked for their underage teams and once he'd played for them that was it. There was a big gap between his underage caps and making the full squad, may well have switched in this day and age. Think he only ended up getting picked due to Mark Wright getting injured and Wright wouldn't have made our team at the time.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 08 Mar 2013 at 9:08am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:08am
*good stock
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by finnanselbow finnanselbow wrote:

Paul Gascoigne

yeah he said on the late late he was qualifed,
beckham told my mates mother he was qualifed for ireland as well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic