You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ones that got away

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Nolan doesn't qualify to play for Ireland.

I thought he does, but he didn't reckon that third generation was enough to make him feel Irish.
Sponsored Links

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 3:59pm
1.Wayne Rooney
2.Rio Ferdinand
3.Anton Ferdinand
4.Jamie O'Hara
5.Kevin Nolan
6.Kieran Richardson
7.Tim Cahill
8.Lucas Neill *
9.Lee Trundle
10.Landon Donovan
11.Darren Fletcher
12.Kevin Keegan
13.Steven Gerrard
14.Steve Bruce
15.Gareth Barry
16.James Milner
17.Paul Scholes
18.Micheal Packhurst
19.Alfredo di Stefano
20.John O'Brien (USA, used to play for Ajax)
21.Michael Keane
22.Jimmy Greaves
23.Martin Keown
24.Chris Armstrong
25.Kevin Gallen
26.Noel Whelan
27.Clint Dempsey
28.Kyle Naughton
29.Conor Dolye
30.Mark Noble
31.Richard Stearman
32.Gary Cahill
33.Zac Knight
34.Dave Kitson

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:08pm
Tina, her name was. A stunner from Helsinki.

Of course i had to have that extra pint...........Confused
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:21pm
The ones that got away should be players who were considering playing for us, i mean Rio, Anton, Keown etc etc never had any intention of playing for us!

Plus there are a few suspect names on there who i'd have my doubts they were eligible to play for us in the first place. 

As for the likes of Knight, Gallen, Kitson etc etc "getting away" , more like lucky escape for us!! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:25pm
Did McStay qualify for us? am sure he did.

Martin O Neill, Paddy Jennings, Neil Lennon, Mal Donaghy, Pat Nevin,.........
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:38pm
George Best,Dannie and Jackie Blanchflower. Johnny Evans
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The ones that got away should be players who were considering playing for us, i mean Rio, Anton, Keown etc etc never had any intention of playing for us!

Plus there are a few suspect names on there who i'd have my doubts they were eligible to play for us in the first place. 

As for the likes of Knight, Gallen, Kitson etc etc "getting away" , more like lucky escape for us!! 

Doesn't Keown say he was brought up very Irish and it kind of just a progession that he played for England but he always felt Irish. He would be a player I would say did get away as we probably could have swayed him if we got in early.

Edit: Jack tried to call him up before he played a senior game for England but he had played underage for England and at the time you couldn't switch.

I would imagine the fact that players could not switched back then made us lose out to a lot of players since at the time there would have been many people born around the 60's, 70's and 80's that were 2nd generation Irish. When it gets to 3rd generation the lust to play for us shrinks

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Mar 2013 at 4:57pm
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Doesn't Keown say he was brought up very Irish and it kind of just a progession that he played for England but he always felt Irish. He would be a player I would say did get away as we probably could have swayed him if we got in early.

Yeah he wanted to play for us, was it not something to do with his under age caps with England? His parents are from Fermanagh I believe, does he not visit there fairly often?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:00pm
How manyy generations can it go back before you're not eligable?
Fabian O'Neill had irish roots
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

How manyy generations can it go back before you're not eligable?
Fabian O'Neill had irish roots
Grandparents.

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:02pm

The relevant current FIFA statute, Article 17: Acquisition of a new nationality, states:[19]

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfills one of the following conditions:
(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
(d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Yeah he wanted to play for us, was it not something to do with his under age caps with England? His parents are from Fermanagh I believe, does he not visit there fairly often?
He was asked about this one night on TV3, he said his dad encouraged him to play for England because the country had given him a job, a place to live, etc and it was their way of giving back
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

He was asked about this one night on TV3, he said his dad encouraged him to play for England because the country had given him a job, a place to live, etc and it was their way of giving back
 If I have any kids who are eligible for England they won't be getting any such advice!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:29pm
Josimar (Josey Maher)
Begorra (played for Chile in 1982 WC)
Fran
Deco

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:34pm
1.Wayne Rooney
2.Rio Ferdinand
3.Anton Ferdinand
4.Jamie O'Hara
5.Kevin Nolan
6.Kieran Richardson
7.Tim Cahill
8.Lucas Neill *
9.Lee Trundle
10.Landon Donovan
11.Darren Fletcher
12.Kevin Keegan
13.Steven Gerrard
14.Steve Bruce
15.Gareth Barry
16.James Milner
17.Paul Scholes
18.Micheal Packhurst
19.Alfredo di Stefano
20.John O'Brien (USA, used to play for Ajax)
21.Michael Keane
22.Jimmy Greaves
23.Martin Keown
24.Chris Armstrong
25.Kevin Gallen
26.Noel Whelan
27.Clint Dempsey
28.Kyle Naughton
29.Conor Dolye
30.Mark Noble
31.Richard Stearman
32.Gary Cahill
33.Zac Knight
34.Dave Kitson
35.Josimar (Joesy Maher)
36.Begorra (played for Chile in 1982 WC)
37.Fran
38.Deco
39.Martin O'Neill
40.Pat Jennings
41.Jackie Blanchflower
42.Neil Lennon
43.Corey Evans
44.Johnny Evans
45.George Best
46.Pat Nevin
47.Mal Donaghy
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Josimar (Josey Maher)
Fran
Deco

Is that the Deco who played for Barca and Chelsea?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Josimar (Josey Maher)
Fran
Deco

Is that the Deco who played for Barca and Chelsea?

Yeah, those 4 had to be have Paddy blood with names like that.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 5:38pm
Wasn't Steve Bruce more or less told by Fergie to declare for England as at the time, you could only have 3 "foreigners" in European competition and United already had Schmeichael, Cantona and Keane?
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic