You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cologne - 11th October 2013 - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cologne - 11th October 2013 - General Thread
    Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 9:31am
Originally posted by irishmale0399 irishmale0399 wrote:

Take a look at airbnb, have a few mates who use it regularly in Köln and are very happy. Alternative if you really want a hotel you should look at Düsseldorf or Bonn as alternatives. Trains run through the night at the weekend and both are only about 30 minutes.

thanks a million found a place 5 min walk from Venue( completely forgot to check airbnb and only used it yesterday for an apartment for Rock En Seine festival in Paris at end of August)
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

"Station Hostels for Backpackers" stayed here last year, handy location right beside the train station.

+1 

Can't get more central than this place. excellent place to stay and excellent value  Thumbs Up
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 5:40pm

"Station Hostels for Backpackers" stayed here last year, handy location right beside the train station.

irishmale0399 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmale0399 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 4:39pm
Take a look at airbnb, have a few mates who use it regularly in Köln and are very happy. Alternative if you really want a hotel you should look at Düsseldorf or Bonn as alternatives. Trains run through the night at the weekend and both are only about 30 minutes.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 3:47pm
Stayed in a place called "die wohngemeinschaft cologne" and it was decent. Hostel but grand.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:26am
Sorry all for raising this thread again but i trying to get somewhere cheap to stay in Koln on 20th of Sept to go to a gig. As they are back in the top flight hotels are really expensive that wend and play at home on the Sunday. 

Could anyone point me in the direction of a decent cheap hostel/hotel that they used while there.

Many Thanks
awaythelads View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaythelads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

So a bit of advice needed for anyone that did venture to a decent restaurant while in Koln as decided to go there for NYE as have to work a half day in Lux and want to book somewhere nice as the gf will be with me.

Not quite a fancy restaurant ...
I strongly recommend the beer hall beside hotel I stayed at (Barcelo Cologne City Center). Excellent local food and great value. About 15 mins walk from town or a €10 taxi trip.
Brauhaus Putz, Engelbertstrasse 67, 50674
www.awaythelads.com
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 9:50pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

So a bit of advice needed for anyone that did venture to a decent restaurant while in Koln as decided to go there for NYE as have to work a half day in Lux and want to book somewhere nice as the gf will be with me.

If it's traditional German food you're after rather than an international steakhouse or Chinese/Thai, I went to a few decent ones during the trip.  Try these for size:-

http://www.paeffgen-koelsch.de/
http://bierhaus-am-rhein.de/Startseite

danger here View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danger here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:10pm
Poncho's on Salzgasse was pretty good if you like Argentinian steak http://www.steakhouse-ponchos.com/ Just off main square and nice friendly owner.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 2:35pm
shoggy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Crate of beer on the square on Friday night was savage craic. Espically with Hermin the German. Some stylish beard on him.
<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span>
Herman ze German was gas. "I like you but not your friends, they're all weirdos" says the German dude clearly off his tits! Wacko
To be honest I thought Kölsch was rotten, as did the rest of the Hayes clan. We all ended up drinking Jack Daniels, Tyskie, Becks or Lech. Enjoyed the trip but would have more so if we had found our hotel quicker when we got there. Wandering around in circles p*ssed for 3-4 hours nearly f*cked our trip up!
Many, many thanks to Steve for looking after us so well in Amsterdam on Thursday and again on Saturday night, the man's a legend!  

was that the baldy lad with the "f**k England" scarf who kept offering a lift to the stadium but was bananas drunk?

No he was the one with the beard, who took a bit of a shine to me. Well after the game.

Was his name actually Herman?

Herman was gas craic altogether. He disappeared for 10 minutes and came back with an Ireland jersey on him. Where did you get that we said and he said some irish lad through it on him

Ended up in the gay bar at the bottom of the square at end of Friday night and met this long haired german dude who's only English was "f**k the england" "f**k the england" ....After about half an hour and a few English lessons later he comes back with "f**k the Glasgow rangers" "f**k the Glasgow rangers"...all I knew about him was that he was a dortmund season ticket holder as he showed it to me. Serious good craic on that trip...

Haha he was over with us in the Corkonian on Friday night and that's all you could get out of him F**k England, f**k Rangers LOL the bouncer ended up f**king him out LOL
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Crate of beer on the square on Friday night was savage craic. Espically with Hermin the German. Some stylish beard on him.
<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span>
Herman ze German was gas. "I like you but not your friends, they're all weirdos" says the German dude clearly off his tits! Wacko
To be honest I thought Kölsch was rotten, as did the rest of the Hayes clan. We all ended up drinking Jack Daniels, Tyskie, Becks or Lech. Enjoyed the trip but would have more so if we had found our hotel quicker when we got there. Wandering around in circles p*ssed for 3-4 hours nearly f*cked our trip up!
Many, many thanks to Steve for looking after us so well in Amsterdam on Thursday and again on Saturday night, the man's a legend!  

was that the baldy lad with the "f**k England" scarf who kept offering a lift to the stadium but was bananas drunk?

No he was the one with the beard, who took a bit of a shine to me. Well after the game.

Was his name actually Herman?

Herman was gas craic altogether. He disappeared for 10 minutes and came back with an Ireland jersey on him. Where did you get that we said and he said some irish lad through it on him

Ended up in the gay bar at the bottom of the square at end of Friday night and met this long haired german dude who's only English was "f**k the england" "f**k the england" ....After about half an hour and a few English lessons later he comes back with "f**k the Glasgow rangers" "f**k the Glasgow rangers"...all I knew about him was that he was a dortmund season ticket holder as he showed it to me. Serious good craic on that trip...
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 3:23pm
Standing room / no standing room.

Nothing to see here.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 10:20am
Attendance for WM qualifier Germany vs ireland 46K
Attendance last night Bundesliga 2nd division Köln vs 1860 München 48K+
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Great trip, pity about the result thought we might have nicked a goal to make it interesting but not to be.
Had the pleasure of having a few beers with  Newryrep (nice to put a face to the name) in the bar around the corner from the hotel on the sat night, great night with a brass band first then 2 different bands playing an hour each followed by a dj and a shout out to the 2 glasgow lads also(think they were from there), knew it was a mistake to put a time on finishing up LOL
You sure about that daithiLOL

Cheers Daithi Thumbs Up Piss off BrianieSmile

Had met the two Glasgow lads earlier in the Gilden brew house

Have to say did overdo it a bit on sat night consequently I was the colour of my shirt travelling the next day and extremely quiet Dead
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Great trip, pity about the result thought we might have nicked a goal to make it interesting but not to be.
Had the pleasure of having a few beers with  Newryrep (nice to put a face to the name) in the bar around the corner from the hotel on the sat night, great night with a brass band first then 2 different bands playing an hour each followed by a dj and a shout out to the 2 glasgow lads also(think they were from there), knew it was a mistake to put a time on finishing up LOL
You sure about that daithiLOL
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:33pm
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
  Share Topic