You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shootings in General

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:22pm
I hear there are some bodies in the vacant lots
JSO View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira
Hi, I'm barred for life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

What goes around comes around eventually.

Only in The Oasis would the locals throw chairs at a man with a gun FFS LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 LOL We must pay a visit to this establishment next time your home HM. 

A mate of ours lives and drinks in a pub down the road  from there which i can honestly say is even a bit too much for meLOL although i did find the experience most profitable( sold two jumpers and 3 tshirts) and socially beneficial in a weird positive wayTongue
elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:34pm
The guards really have no control of the gun crime situation.
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Did you see these two hanging around dude??

"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:50pm
Apparently was a case of mistaken identity and this fella is innocent according to front pages of tomorrows papers.

Only said it this morning. Hope he lives.

We should bring in a mandatory life sentence for discharge of a gun for the purpose of serious harm or murder. And life being life
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:05am
Kerrzy, study after study has shown that mandatory sentencing has little or no effect on crime. All that really effects it is increased resources in detection rather than punishment. Criminals think they won't get caught so deterrent sentencing is expensive and somewhat futile. Deterrence policing works much better. I'd rather increase spending on the Gardai by €100m than on the prisons by €100m. You'd see much better results. If the likelihood of getting caught increases, it causes would be criminals to act more rationally and consider the potential consequences of their crimes. And while it might result in increased overcrowding and some people serving shorter sentences, serious criminals (gun criminals, murderers, etc) do get serious sentences and do serve them.

Of course, it could just be that you have a different view of what the criminal justice system should represent and are interested only in making sure those that are caught are locked up for some time and well punished in which case I suppose what I just said doesn't really apply, but each to their own. I prefer to look at it from an economic point of view, albeit that might seem a bit callous.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:15am
Workcamps would put people off crime. Like for example, possession of a gun could get ya five years breaking rocks on Tory Island or something. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:06am

LOL What a show.

Gunman on the main street in Brisbane today. City was on lock down. Police shot him twice. No sh*t taken over here. Get the cops guns Clap

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:10am

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Kerrzy, study after study has shown that mandatory sentencing has little or no effect on crime. All that really effects it is increased resources in detection rather than punishment. Criminals think they won't get caught so deterrent sentencing is expensive and somewhat futile. Deterrence policing works much better. I'd rather increase spending on the Gardai by €100m than on the prisons by €100m. You'd see much better results. If the likelihood of getting caught increases, it causes would be criminals to act more rationally and consider the potential consequences of their crimes. And while it might result in increased overcrowding and some people serving shorter sentences, serious criminals (gun criminals, murderers, etc) do get serious sentences and do serve them.

Of course, it could just be that you have a different view of what the criminal justice system should represent and are interested only in making sure those that are caught are locked up for some time and well punished in which case I suppose what I just said doesn't really apply, but each to their own. I prefer to look at it from an economic point of view, albeit that might seem a bit callous.

Kerzy would lynch any man woman or child who was guilty (or even not guilty) of J walking LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Regardless of effect on crime, I think its better for society that these be sentenced to life. If they killed once in this manner, they wont have any hesitation doing so again. 

Secondly, I do think it would have some effect in a country like Ireland where life means about 15 years max at the moment. That is certainly no deterrent. The prospects of never seeing the outside world would have to have an impact.

Unrelated; heard from a fella today that would be in the know in GAA circles that 1 of the Crossmaglen players that played in the AI semi a couple of weeks ago is a prime suspect for the death of the DetectiveShocked

EDIT: Not a hope HB. J walking is a must for those that dont driveThumbs Up

Edited by Kerrzy - 08 Mar 2013 at 8:26pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm
I agree that a 15 year sentence for life is no deterrent. However, ANY sentencing policy has pretty much no deterrent effect: how could it if the perpetrators of crime think they are going to get away with it?

And sentencing people simply so they cannot commit crimes is a very slippery road to be going down.... soon you'll end up imprisoning people who have done nothing simply because they might commit crimes. Also, the rate of imprisonment has very little effect on the rate of violent crime.

Like I said, most of my objections are economic. Imprisonment makes little or no financial sense and has little or no impact on crime rates; increasing detection rates and letting it be known that detection rates are increasing is the best thing that can be done. Otherwise, f**kers act with impunity, which is where we share common concern.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:04pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm
Nearly all crime statisitcs have reduced. Could also indicate that cutbacks mean less offeneces are listed.
bis en die View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bis en die Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:18pm
Hey Seany Sherlock, those stats are a few years out of date
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:20pm
Most up to date I could find on cso website
Found more recent figures will edit table there.

Edited by seanyshuffler - 09 Mar 2013 at 10:22pm
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:11pm
Is 'wapons' a word??  
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Is 'wapons' a word??  
I left out the e when I was typing it.

Thanks for highlighting it though Embarrassed LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic