Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rob Elliot Goalkeeper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:36pm
68 appearances in 9 years is absolutely shameful, whether the chap was settled in the North East or not it's a major issue in modern football where many are happy to not play once they're getting well paid for doing so.

I understand that professional footballers want to try and maximise their earning potential but someone like Rob Elliot would still have been on good money in The Championship or beyond, it baffles me tbh.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:50pm
Was he not injured for a lot of it no? 

Always seemed to be injured from what I remember. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

68 appearances in 9 years is absolutely shameful, whether the chap was settled in the North East or not it's a major issue in modern football where many are happy to not play once they're getting well paid for doing so.

I understand that professional footballers want to try and maximise their earning potential but someone like Rob Elliot would still have been on good money in The Championship or beyond, it baffles me tbh.

The sad part is Rob is actually a good shot stopper imo.

An absolutely wasted career. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Was he not injured for a lot of it no? 

Always seemed to be injured from what I remember. 

I had thought this as well. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:01pm
The only bad injury he had when he was being touted for the Irish #1 jersey a while back.

The early-mid part of his career playing #3 to Given and Harper then #2 to Tim Krul.

When Krul went his time finally came and had that bad injury, unlucky in a sense but like his counterpart Harper he’ll be known as the ultimate benchwarmer
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:02pm
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rob-elliot/verletzungen/spieler/39037

According to the link above (don't take it as gospel) but he has missed a total of 59 games that Newcastle were involved in 9 years.

Granted he had 1 serious knee injury but I'm sorry to be blunt but he smacks of being a mercenary for me anyhow, happy not to play once he can pick up a handy wage every week.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm

According to the link above (don't take it as gospel) but he has missed a total of 59 games that Newcastle were involved in 9 years.

Granted he had 1 serious knee injury but I'm sorry to be blunt but he smacks of being a mercenary for me anyhow, happy not to play once he can pick up a handy wage every week.

Think that's exceptionally harsh when it comes to goalkeepers, whatever about outfield players. They don't get the same opportunities to play as other players. There's been plenty of keepers over the years who have spent most of their careers as back up as clubs want to have a solid keeper in reserve. Most keepers in that situation are confident in their own ability and are only one injury to their teammate away from getting their chance and potentially taking it as Elliott did until he got injured.

It's a ridiculous argument to put forward saying he only missed 59 games in 9 years due to injury when it's the losing of his starting place when those injuries struck that's the real issue. Calling him a mercenary is way over the top. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:23pm
The major red flag mistake of Rob's career was the signing of Matz Sels during the Rafa era.

He was an awful goalkeeper, terrible, clumsy and outright bad but he was preferred ahead of Elliot, that was his queue to leave, but he didn't.

Edited by coyne - 25 Jun 2020 at 5:24pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Think that's exceptionally harsh when it comes to goalkeepers, whatever about outfield players. They don't get the same opportunities to play as other players. There's been plenty of keepers over the years who have spent most of their careers as back up as clubs want to have a solid keeper in reserve. Most keepers in that situation are confident in their own ability and are only one injury to their teammate away from getting their chance and potentially taking it as Elliott did until he got injured.

It's a ridiculous argument to put forward saying he only missed 59 games in 9 years due to injury when it's the losing of his starting place when those injuries struck that's the real issue. Calling him a mercenary is way over the top. 

Yes maybe over a couple of seasons, not 9 years.

A wasted career, simple as.

Edited by Green Devil - 25 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
He was probably on a million a year at Newcastle minimum.

I'd happily waste my career right now for a million a year.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The major red flag mistake of Rob's career was the signing of Matz Sels during the Rafa era.

He was an awful goalkeeper, terrible, clumsy and outright bad but he was preferred ahead of Elliot, that was his queue to leave, but he didn't.

I've no problem seeing a keeper being a solid second choice and getting 3 or 4 league games per year and a good run in the cups, but to settle for being a 3rd choice keeper in your prime years is mercenary behaviour and shows no ambition.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 6:04pm
It was probably a combination of generous Premiership wages and his domestic circumstances ( young family settled in the area ) that kept him at Newcastle. Football remains a short career and not many are going to drop down a division for inferior wages, family disruption, etc on the off chance it might be beneficial to their career eventually. That would make more sense for a younger player with no dependants. Good luck to the man, somewhere like Middlesbrough or Sunderland are not too far away and might be options.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 6:26pm
The only way Rob ends up at Sunderland is if another pandemic happens and Rob appears to run out of toilet roll a bit like when everyone panicked at the start of the last pandemic and is willingly to accept payment in toilet roll instead of cash.

That's how low the chances are.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:12pm
He was pushing very hard for not only a place in the Euros squad but the no. 1 spot until he got injured in the Dutch friendly before the Euros. Randolph wasn’t  first choice at West ham at the time only playing cup games mainly and Elliott has a very good spell of form in the Newcastle team. Randolph took his chance and no. 1 since anyway.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

He was pushing very hard for not only a place in the Euros squad but the no. 1 spot until he got injured in the Dutch friendly before the Euros. Randolph wasn’t  first choice at West ham at the time only playing cup games mainly and Elliott has a very good spell of form in the Newcastle team. Randolph took his chance and no. 1 since anyway.

Everyone has already mentioned that already? Confused

That spell was a period over 6 months and he was there for 9 years.

Edited by coyne - 25 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:54pm

Which poster mentioned that? Haven’t seen any saying he got injured against the Dutch while on a good run of form have they unless you want to point them out before being a smartarse.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:38pm

Which poster mentioned that? Haven’t seen any saying he got injured against the Dutch while on a good run of form have they unless you want to point them out before being a smartarse.

The only bad injury he had when he was being touted for the Irish #1 jersey a while back.

Sorry that you're unable to read.

We know he's had a bad injury during a good run but it doesn't take away the fact he's spent 7 and 3/4 seasons on the bench or in the reserves. 

That is a complete waste of a good shot stopper which I think he is/was

Edited by coyne - 25 Jun 2020 at 10:47pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:51pm

Sorry that you're unable to read.

We know he's had a bad injury during a good run but it doesn't take away the fact he's spent 7 and 3/4 seasons on the bench or in the reserves. 

That is a complete waste of a good shot stopper which I think he is/was

He suffered a massive injury when he was in the best form of his career; I'd call that fairly significant.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic