You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013
    Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
Amazing video of just how far football games have evolved over 35 years. Even people not into computer games would see the huge difference nowadays to when they first started.

Sensible soccer was the balls but the one that done it for me was this: 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:50pm
Some great game alright. My first game was Manchester United:Europe.

First manager game was Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

What was the game that the fastest way to get from one end of the field to the other was to slide tackle all the way?

cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
I used to love Microprose Soccer on the C64
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Some great game alright. My first game was Manchester United:Europe.

First manager game was Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

What was the game that the fastest way to get from one end of the field to the other was to slide tackle all the way?

LOL  Obviously realism took a back foot in those days. Slide tackling all the way?!

Would it have been Italia 90 for the sega mega drive? There's probably about 10 countries in that game that don't exist anymore 
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
FIFA98 Clap
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

The road to world cup game was fantastic Clap and you could slide tackle the goalie and get sent off LOL. I remember playing it christmas day in 98 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

The road to world cup game was fantastic Clap and you could slide tackle the goalie and get sent off LOL. I remember playing it christmas day in 98 

Hate that. The rest of us got it for Christmas '97!
Indoor football with fouls turned off, hours of fun.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:27pm
Sensible Soccer is still kingClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

Hate that. The rest of us got it for Christmas '97!
Indoor football with fouls turned off, hours of fun.

Embarrassed sorry mean't christmas 97. the indoor football was good crack 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:31pm
Hadn't the patience for sensible soccer, when you try to turn you end up leaving the ball after you.

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Hadn't the patience for sensible soccer, when you try to turn you end up leaving the ball after you.

that was on the Amiga, think it stuck to your feet on the mega Drive...all grt games!! Back in the day when Ireland where a better team to pick than England.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:41pm
Sensible soccer was the balls, spent a serious amount of time in my pre teen years playing that on the megadrive. Absolutely loved that game. Pro Evo series was the king on PS1 and PS2 but has been awful for the past 8 years. Fifa is top dog now. Another game I loved on the megadrive was a little known game called Ultimate Soccer..
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:55pm

This is the finest footie game I ever played. Clap Shame about the cover

PES 6 and PES 2008 were respectable follow-ups but the series went 20 years backward with 09, slowly trying to make its way back. PES 3 was a great game too! Thumbs Up

FIFA 98 RTWC was a beautiful game that no FIFA after it matched for sheer arcade joy until 2009. 99 was a very good game also but the absence of an indoor mode was criminal! I have FIFA 96 lying around the house somewhere with Jason McAteer and an unidentified Dutch player from the euro play-off on the cover.

Other honourable mentions, This Is Football 2005. The series wasn't spectacular but the last entry was a good game in its own right.

This was the first game I ever owned for the PS1. I had asked Santy to get me Michael Owens World League Soccer 99 but I ended up with this instead. My initial reaction was Confused followed by Angry but once I got to grips with the game and got over the fact it was a management sim, it was a fantastic game Clap Lost it for a year to a friend of mine who borrowed it and never gave it back! Fired up the PS1 in easter 2 years ago just to play it again, signed Jari Litmanen for Hull City in Division 3 LOL

Edited by Del-Piero - 22 Feb 2013 at 4:57pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:58pm
Sensible Soccer and then you could change the players name. McG up front for Milan Cool That was breakthrough stuff!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:00pm

Amazing video of just how far football games have evolved over 35 years. Even people not into computer games would see the huge difference nowadays to when they first started.

Bombing down the flanks with no sign of fatigue Cool
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:08pm

What about that one for the segamega drive, think it was around 1990. For a throw in, they'd throw the ball backwerds.

The indoor soccer one was great too as it was handy not having the throw ins.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Bombing down the flanks with no sign of fatigue Cool

ISS Pro 98 was gas for michael owen and the brazilian ronaldo who noone could catch up with LOL. I used to have roberto carlos up with ronaldo for his sheer pace and deadly shot. it was insane stuff 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Sensible soccer was the balls, spent a serious amount of time in my pre teen years playing that on the megadrive. Absolutely loved that game. Pro Evo series was the king on PS1 and PS2 but has been awful for the past 8 years. Fifa is top dog now. Another game I loved on the megadrive was a little known game called Ultimate Soccer..
Brilliant game!!Wind up full blast on the blue pitch and the craic was on!!Have the music from it in my head now!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic