You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPC / Virgin v SKY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPC / Virgin v SKY
    Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:23pm
Im with Sky at the minute , costs €27 a month standard package job. UPC are offering me the same package but includes ESPN and Setanta for €25 a month . . .

Sounds good to me but my mate was with UPC for a few years and went to Sky and swears by them , said the Sky menu and stuff is a lot easier and quicker to navigate about ....

Anybody ??
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:29pm
upc's pricing can be very deceiving, I'd double check closely
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
UPC menu is a pain in the hole Babbs, so frustrating to use and when you have been using sky and then go to these you will notice a huge difference and not for the better, if you can stick with sky if I were you,(by the way I am with UPC and I hate it but in a contract and a bundle with broadband) will look to change when contract runs out unless they improve.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:46pm
I'm with UPC and have broadband + tv, will be switching to sky when my contract is up as UPC are sh*te and sky now offer broadband.
Stick with sky
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:55pm
The free ESPN and Setanta with basic package makes it worth staying with UPC if you into sports which you are. I wouldn't bother going back to Sky as I have GAA matches, FA cup and Premier league games on ESPN at no extra cost but I wouldn't pay for a Sports package with SKY.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:11pm
The upc box is absolutely rubbish in comparison to the sky box. The sky box is just so much more user friendly. What I will say though is that if you want quick and reliable internet access, I believe that UPC's internet service is very good. If it's just for telly though, I would definitely go with sky.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:21pm
Get a dreambox , best thing I did was f**k out sky.
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:42pm
BB with the package you are on at the moment is that just telly? If so which channels do you get with that? I am choosing between both at the moment too, cheers.
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:44pm
Wouldn't go near UPC absolutely sh*te

Skygo is quality too
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:48pm
I am a telly provider virgin so I havent a clue that and the fact that I rarely watch telly doesnt help. I would be happy with the normal channels but my BF isnt. How much dearer is sky for the internet and tv? Approx?
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/eurovox-the-starview-kryptview-dreambox_topic40285.html

I was on the phone when I posted earlier on so couldnt link that post.Anyone who has a good intenet speed should have a look at going down this route.

Edited by rossieman - 20 Feb 2013 at 7:55pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm
What the fook is the story witht he upc remote control? Trying to press channel 401 for example and you press the 4, then the 0, then when you press the 1 and the 4 and the 0 disappear and it goea to the upc channel. Usually it works on the 4th attempt. Piece of rubbish.

Also notice when you are watching tv and press the ok button to see what else is on on other channels so you press the left or right arrows then after maybe 10-12 channels it switches to the digital video recorder menu.

And before any smartasses say I am pressing the wrong buttons I am not and doing it quick enough.

Also the buttons on the actual upc box dont work.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

BB with the package you are on at the moment is that just telly? If so which channels do you get with that? I am choosing between both at the moment too, cheers.

I just changed to UPC for broadband. Same price and lightening quick . Vodafone state up to 25mb download speed but ye only get around 4 to 5mb . UPC say definitely 25mb but I'm up to around 27mb

Wit regards to the TV , normal package without movies and sports will cost ye around €27 with either sky or UPC . Only thing is UPC give ye Setanta and ESPN with the standard package . That's why I'm debating it anyway but gonna stay wit Sky as most tell me using the UPC box will have my head done in.. We watch feck all TV anyway mostly series and stuff we have on a hard drive.

All in all , €45 for phone and broadband. €71 for phone , broadband and tv . Reasonable enough

Edited by BabbsBalls - 20 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What the fook is the story witht he upc remote control? Trying to press channel 401 for example and you press the 4, then the 0, then when you press the 1 and the 4 and the 0 disappear and it goea to the upc channel. Usually it works on the 4th attempt. Piece of rubbish.

Also notice when you are watching tv and press the ok button to see what else is on on other channels so you press the left or right arrows then after maybe 10-12 channels it switches to the digital video recorder menu.

And before any smartasses say I am pressing the wrong buttons I am not and doing it quick enough.

The exact same thing happens me with the UPC box. You can never get the third button in at the first attempt. It keeps going onto that poxy channel 100. Hate the bastards. Rang sky the other day, they don't Internet in my area yet but as soon as they do I'm switching to them.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

I just changed to UPC for broadband. Same price and lightening quick . Vodafone state up to 25mb download speed but ye only get around 4 to 5mb . UPC say definitely 25mb but I'm up to around 27mb

Wit regards to the TV , normal package without movies and sports will cost ye around €27 with either sky or UPC . Only thing is UPC give ye Setanta and ESPN with the standard package . That's why I'm debating it anyway but gonna stay wit Sky as most tell me using the UPC box will have my head done in.. We watch feck all TV anyway mostly series and stuff we have on a hard drive.

All in all , €45 for phone and broadband. €71 for phone , broadband and tv . Reasonable enough
That's only Setanta Ireland for free dude and most of the Saturday EPL games are on Setanta Sports 1.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:47pm

Not gonna bother changing . Sky get their business done.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Have all these issues too TJ, it really is a joke.

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:07pm
My UPC box knocks itself off all the time and have that problem with the remote all the time as well
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic