You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denis O'Brien Libel Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denis O'Brien Libel Case
    Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 10:45pm
Our glorious sponsor, the very litigous Denis O'Brien Esq, has been awarded € 150,000 in his libel action against the Daily Mail.

http://www.thejournal.ie/denis-obrien-awarded-e150k-in-damages-in-defamation-case-against-newspaper-796470-Feb2013/

Big amount of money, but nowhere near the € 9 million the former Kenmare Resources chief Donal Kinsella got a few years ago, or the € 450 K or so awarded to Monica Leech (both libel cases) Would like to hear a few of the defenders of the newspapers on this subject, something just occurred to me while reading it; 

I have often seen on here that papers print stuff in the public interest, that line is usually trotted out when they print a particularly salacious headline (the dog sex one in Limerick springs to mind) . Here is the thing though, undoubtedly these headlines & articles sell papers, but when it comes to court cases, it seems the juries fundamentally disagree that these are in the public interest (to be fair, sometimes they are found guilty of libel by leaving out facts, or printing incorrect ones, which is a different area)

So, are these things in the public interest, newspaper sales might indicate they are, jury libel awards seem to suggest they aren't. Or to put it another way, how is there such a disconnect between the juries who seem to disapprove of this, and the paper buying public, who buy more papers on the back of these stories ?  if members of juries are indicative of the newspaper buying public, howcome they always seem to rule in favour of the person bringing the libel case? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 10:52pm
yep......untouchable.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:01pm
the shiitee that the daily mail publish daily is unbelievable, they get away with it most times as very few individuals will bother to drag them through the courts, similar to the rest of the rags they are well insured for this and take the risk.
not sure why denis o brien has become such a hate figure by so many, suppose its the auld irish begrudgery 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:06pm
Same reason deise why people lie in polls.  What you actually do and what you want your peers to think you do or believe can be 2 different things. 

There have been cases where in the States African American Candidates used to fare well in polls and then a disaster in the actual election.  People wanted to seem more liberal than they actually were.

So people on a jury would quite rationally think something is not in the public interest and when group think comes along and an articulate and intelligent jury member convinces them they will vote one way in the jury. 

The next day they could go and pick up a very similar story in the paper and not see the connection.
AKA pedantic kunt
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

the shiitee that the daily mail publish daily is unbelievable, they get away with it most times as very few individuals will bother to drag them through the courts, similar to the rest of the rags they are well insured for this and take the risk.
not sure why denis o brien has become such a hate figure by so many, suppose its the auld irish begrudgery 

I know he's free to pal around with whoever he wants, but seeing him sitting beside seanny fitz at the Croatia game, sitting a few rows below us really stuck in the craw for me. O'Brien had brought him there as his guest as well.

Also going after Sam Smyth and Vin Browne.. Shows you the mans true regard for journalism.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:16pm
I hope AidoM was the first to congratulate Denis after this court case just like he was after he thanked him for hiring Trap after we qualified for the Euros. 

Embarrassed
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:22pm
I would not have anything against Mr O Brien, but I do not think it is good for ownership of the media to be in the control of any one private company the way it is in Ireland. 

If competition is good, a private monopoly is more dangerous than a public one in my view. 

The company now owns 42 radio stations in 8 countries across Europe, including Ireland: Today FM, Dublin's 98 (Formerly 98FM), Newstalk, Spin 1038 and Spin South West

He is the largest shareholder in the Indpendent group which owns a number of national newspapers in Ireland, the Evening Herald, Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Sunday World and 50% of the Irish Daily Star, as well as 14 regional titles, two free newspapers(the ones they hand out in the morning in Dublin I think , and a magazine.

That is a lot of media for one person to have influence over.

AKA pedantic kunt
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I would not have anything against Mr O Brien, but I do not think it is good for ownership of the media to be in the control of any one private company the way it is in Ireland. 

If competition is good, a private monopoly is more dangerous than a public one in my view. 

The company now owns 42 radio stations in 8 countries across Europe, including Ireland: Today FM, Dublin's 98 (Formerly 98FM), Newstalk, Spin 1038 and Spin South West

He is the largest shareholder in the Indpendent group which owns a number of national newspapers in Ireland, the Evening Herald, Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Sunday World and 50% of the Irish Daily Star, as well as 14 regional titles, two free newspapers(the ones they hand out in the morning in Dublin I think , and a magazine.

That is a lot of media for one person to have influence over.

Well said baldy. It's a sign of a sick democracy when one person has such a stranglehold on public opinion. God forbid he ever had an agenda that he (or any of his mates) wanted pushing..

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 11:52am
Reported on Sky Sports that O'Brien is part of the consortium that are looking to take over Doncaster.

Edited by seanyshuffler - 20 Jul 2013 at 11:52am
Brazil View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:23pm
ok why doesnt he just give the crazy italian that 150 k to f**k off with himself and everyone is happy.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Reported on Sky Sports that O'Brien is part of the consortium that are looking to take over Doncaster.

Does he (or one of his associates/companies) own some of it anyway ? Or did do, remember the whole Lowry tapes episode, that was someway connected with Doncaster Rovers and some land around it, or maybe the stadium itself (really can't be arsed looking it up)

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 2:33pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:17pm
Never realised how well Mr.O'Brien's companies have done since FG/L came into power. Not only did IRBC (formally Anglo) write off €100m to allegedly allow Denis O'Brien to purchase Siteserv,at a knocked down price of €45m but Bord Gais awarded the installation of the water meters contract to Siteserv. Allegedly this contract is valued between €40m-€50m.

Then only last month.....
Brian Hayes, T.D., Minister of State with special responsibility for Public Service Reform and the Office of Public Works today (Friday 25 April) announced the launch of a Framework Agreement for the Supply of Fuel Charge Card Services to the public sector. The Framework Agreement was awarded to Topaz Energy Ltd, following a competitive tendering process undertaken by the Office of Government Procurement (OGP)

So far they've inked a €20m agreement to supply fuel charge cards to the Gardaí, the Irish Prison Service and the Office of Public Works.

Obviously this was done through tendering and of course is no doubt all above board.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:57pm
Are we allowed talk about Catherine Murphy's Dail statement today?

See it's up on oireachtas.ie

Edited by seanyshuffler - 28 May 2015 at 9:57pm
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:37pm
I don't see why not.Its in the public domain.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:50pm
I'd be a bit cautious about mentioning anything to do with the statement, nearly every other media has only referred to it, without going into any great depth on content, except broadsheet.ie, who have told O'Brien's legal army where to go, claiming all Dáil statements ''wherever published'' to be privileged. So they published it in full on their site. O'Brien's legal team have stated their recent injunction won V RTE from reporting on him in nearly any shape or form at all covers the Dail statement as well and have warned them to take it down.  Broadsheet don't agree, they have left the article there, including the bit about correspondence from DOB legal teams,  here's a link to that; 

There is a load of angles you could be worried about here; firstly if broadsheet are correct, that means DOB's legal team know that as well as broadsheet, and their actions are basically bullying/scaremongering, and not too surprisingly, given his willingness to sue, very effective. 

Other than the legalities of publishing the statement, it would seem that he is worried about something coming out of this, and lastly, just why the fcuk is it that of all our media (or at least the bits of it not owned by DOB anyway) seem reluctant to take this on, we have had tribunals & public inquiries for a lot less than this, but nearly every bit of work on this case is being brought by a single independent TD ?? 

Excellent work by Catherine Murphy, a politician actually concerned by matters of public interest & not the usual self interest bollix beloved of our government & main opposition. 

greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 3:16am
https://hiredknaves.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/democracy-but-for-people-who-matter/

Fantastic article,hope the link works,I'm on the phone.

Catherine Murphy's speech is on YouTube last I seen, never mind FIFA that's small fish compared to this!,independents doing some fantastic work in the dail these days!,it's the only positive thing about politics in Ireland at the minute.

Edited by greengiant - 29 May 2015 at 3:18am
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 3:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic