You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Each to their own an all that ferret. Whether it is named after a former UK prime minister or an insurance company makes little difference to me personally.

Besides, it is certainly different enough from the old Lansdowne Road to no longer warrant calling it that. The atmospheres in the respective stadiums are incomparable sadly, although I do think visually speaking the Aviva looks better. Nearly all stadiums these days have corporate names as well, don't they? That's just the way she goes I'm afraid.

Maybe my previous posts weren't clear enough tho I genuinely thought I done my best to explain myself including using bold. I'll give it one more brief go as I don't want to be guilty of sending the thread any further off topic out of respect to others.
For clarity; I HAVE NO OBJECTION TO COMMERCIAL NAMING OF STADIUMS, if thats the route sports bodies/clubs feel is in their best interests then so be it. I also fully understand why the FAI and the media,etc would officially publically endorse/use the sponsors name. Of course they would for financial reasons, contractual/legal obligations etc. Thats not the issue so lets leave that red herring to one side.

I'm talking about supporters. Football supporters. Who have only ever known the place as Lansdowne Road and their father and before him again only ever knew it as. That is all.

I couldn't see any connection btw with Shedite's arguement between someone amongst their mates calling it after a corporate entity and then suddenly hey presto thats good for Irish grassroots football financially. If I'm not quoting him/her incorrectly he/she used the phrase "I'll call it what they want me to call it". I find that strange and a bit sad frankly. I guess I could understand a teenager of 14 /15 referring to LR under it's AVIVA name because thats all they have ever known. Will you still call it The AVIVA when it becomes the Supervalu Stadium? And what about when it changes to the Cadburys Cream Egg Stadium? Do you see my point? They are transient, vacuous self-interested corporate logo names. But Lansdowne Road, that will remain.

I don't know what football Club you support Devrozex, but I used the Liverpool analogy and slightly tongue in cheek earlier but there was a serious point behind it. If KFC won the naming rights to Anfield tomorrow would you go about asking your mates are they going to watch the game in the The Kentucky Fried Chicken Stadium or simply it's name which has always been there and will always be there when the corporates moves on to another hobbyhorse? 

They can call it the I can't believe it's not Butter Stadium if they like, I'll only ever know it as Lansdowne Thumbs Up

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 3:31pm
No need to be so condescending chief – I knew exactly what you meant I was just outlining points from a different perspective. For me the stadium is distinct enough from the previous one to not warrant being called the same name. I really wish we still had the old Lansdowne Road as I felt it was a much, much more intimidating stadium for opposition sides to visit. As I said the Aviva looks nice, but it is not in slightest bit intimating and opposing sides so often look very comfortable there. In fairness this has coincided with the quality of our national side slipping, but I think most people would admit the Old Lansdowne – with the pitch much close to the fans, better acoustics etc – was a more intimidating environment.

As for Shedite’s angle, I think he more meant that if a company is willing to put money into something that will benefit the grassroots of the game then they should be respected in the form of calling the stadium what they have paid for it to be called. I see your point that the naming rights of the stadium shouldn’t really impact upon the average fan – but that is just simply an opinion. For example I wouldn’t really bat much of an eyelid if I was chatting to someone in the pub and they referred to it as the Aviva or as Lansdowne. You, apparently, would. Again, I see your point - I’m just saying to me personally it is too different a stadium to be still called Lansdowne, though I have no issue with people calling it that if they so wish. As I said at the start, each to their own.

By the way, was a UCD fan as a nipper but no real interest anymore. Either way if they wanted to rename where they play as the Cheerios Bowl, and the good people at Cheerios were kind enough to give them a load of loots for the privilege, then all the power to them! Thumbs Up

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 5:09pm

Obviously finances and the FAI are a bit of a sore point, but for me, if companies are looking to pay money to have their name on a stadium, I'm happy to go along with that.

Probably works better for a club side, would you begrudge Wigan fans calling their ground the DW Stadium? The money from the sponsorship deal probably keep the club afloat. Sponsorship money keeps football alive.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

No need to be so condescending chief – I knew exactly what you meant I was just outlining points from a different perspective. For me the stadium is distinct enough from the previous one to not warrant being called the same name. I really wish we still had the old Lansdowne Road as I felt it was a much, much more intimidating stadium for opposition sides to visit. As I said the Aviva looks nice, but it is not in slightest bit intimating and opposing sides so often look very comfortable there. In fairness this has coincided with the quality of our national side slipping, but I think most people would admit the Old Lansdowne – with the pitch much close to the fans, better acoustics etc – was a more intimidating environment.

As for Shedite’s angle, I think he more meant that if a company is willing to put money into something that will benefit the grassroots of the game then they should be respected in the form of calling the stadium what they have paid for it to be called. I see your point that the naming rights of the stadium shouldn’t really impact upon the average fan – but that is just simply an opinion. For example I wouldn’t really bat much of an eyelid if I was chatting to someone in the pub and they referred to it as the Aviva or as Lansdowne. You, apparently, would. Again, I see your point - I’m just saying to me personally it is too different a stadium to be still called Lansdowne, though I have no issue with people calling it that if they so wish. As I said at the start, each to their own.

By the way, was a UCD fan as a nipper but no real interest anymore. Either way if they wanted to rename where they play as the Cheerios Bowl, and the good people at Cheerios were kind enough to give them a load of loots for the privilege, then all the power to them! Thumbs Up

I read back my post and can't see the condescension you're offended by Devrozex, but if you are there was no intention so apologies.

As I said several times I've no issue with ANY company sponsoring the Stadium and you are correct OFFICIALLY they then do have the right to insist their naming rights are used in all Official business,etc. I have no arguement with any of that.  But what a company in a boardroom be it in an insurance company or the FAI currently name the ground matters little to the average man in the street.
To me how the stadium looks architecturally is not convincing as an arguement either. Lots of stadia are renovated/remodelled, even re-located, and retain their traditional name. I don't see what difference the stadium architecture layout changing should impact on retaining the original name. 

I'd agree with you fully regards how largely sterile the New Lansdowne is from the previous layout, but thats nothing really to do with the name change debate.

My essential point is that corporate names are transient and temporary so why attach yourself to them as a football supporter? The name Lansdowne will endure long after we are gone, "the Aviva" etc and other corporate names won't by their very nature, as they are based on the financial position of a company for a limited number of years so better to use the name that has been around and will endure than refer to the ground as a different corporate name every couple of years. We'll agree to disagree on this one Handshake
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 5:29pm
Tis worse in Americay.

Miami Dolphins have variously played their home games at:
Joe Robbie Stadium
Pro Player Park
Pro Player Stadium
Dolphins Stadium
Dolphin Stadium
Land Shark Stadium
Sun Life Stadium

7 names in the 27 years since it opened.

The Baltimore Ravens stadium has, from 1998, been variously known as "Ravens Stadium at Camden Yards", "PSINet Stadium", "Ravens Stadium" and "M&T Bank Stadium". The Oakland Raiders stadium has been "Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum", "Network Associates Coliseum", "McAfee Coliseum", "Overstock.com Coliseum" and "O.co Coliseum", at various stages in the last ten or fifteen years.

It could be a lot worse than the Aviva stadium.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 7:11pm
MFClap
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Tis worse in Americay.

Miami Dolphins have variously played their home games at:
Joe Robbie Stadium
Pro Player Park
Pro Player Stadium
Dolphins Stadium
Dolphin Stadium
Land Shark Stadium
Sun Life Stadium

7 names in the 27 years since it opened.

It could be a lot worse than the Aviva stadium.

The John Delaney I've more than one hole in the same arse Memorial Stadium? 
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 8:31pm
[QUOTE=Shebber] They'll both be lovely stadiums when they're finished!! [QUOTE]

This.

All joking aside I hate the small side on the Aviva, absolutely hate it and it reckons the ground. It looks like an unfinished stadium that was designed badly. sh*te looking. Croaker can get away with the uncovered side because the Hill is big and standing.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 11 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:44pm
Having being back to both these stadiums this summer. Croke park is far superior IMO. No excitement or love for the Aviva. Was at the front of 114 for first half of Serbia game. Awful view.  
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:50pm
Sure if you were at the front of the canal end it's ****ish too. And the view from the hill is mediocre at best. Great view in Upper tiers though. And was in Upper tier in Lansdowne for the last two games and loved it . Brilliant view! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Having being back to both these stadiums this summer. Croke park is far superior IMO. No excitement or love for the Aviva. Was at the front of 114 for first half of Serbia game. Awful view.  

What kind of view do you expect from the front of a lower tier block behind the goal? Why do you think they're the cheapest seats? You'd really have to wonder about people at times.

Edited by Paulie - 10 Sep 2021 at 1:13am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:07am
I don't think i will ever be back in Croke Park again , now did all 11 games when Lansdowne was closed and that was enough for me for a life time .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I don't think i will ever be back in Croke Park again , now did all 11 games when Lansdowne was closed and that was enough for me for a life time .

Hated every minute in croke park.

Can’t take to “new lansdowne” either though, loved it as it was! Cry
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

What kind of view do you expect from the front of a lower tier block behind the goal? Why do you think they're the cheapest seats? You'd really have to wonder about people at times.

Lower tiers are too low. Nearly looking upwards. Other new stadiums like say the Friends Area got it right. Aviva looks good from the outside. That’s about it. Poor stadium IMO. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 8:39am

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Lower tiers are too low. Nearly looking upwards. Other new stadiums like say the Friends Area got it right. Aviva looks good from the outside. That’s about it. Poor stadium IMO. 

All modern stadium's are like that with regards to how low the lower tiers are. In a lot of the English EPL grounds, you feel like you're a lot lower than the Aviva.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hated every minute in croke park.

Can’t take to “new lansdowne” either though, loved it as it was! Cry

Croke Park is a great GAA stadium but it wasn’t suited to football due to the size of the pitch. 

With the lack of live sport we have had over last two years I would even think about going to seeing Munster in Thomond at this stage 😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:18am
I think both stadiums had to have compromises given they were built in very densely populated areas. There's not many modern stadiums get much love from fans really. 

The locations of both is great though, I'm very glad we didn't end up in Abbotstown or some empty site
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:35am
With the exception of the small stand I think Lansdowne is a very good stadium. A decent view from most areas, the stands are close to the pitch (unlike a lot of stadiums that are being built now), it's within walking range of the city centre with plenty around it. Is it the best stadium I've ever been in? No, but it's better than most. A big one is accessibility. A lot if stadiums now are built in the middle of nowhere and are a pain in the hole to get to/from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic