You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:36pm
Croker: Completely unsuitable for football, crowd miles away from the action.  Pubs are dumps and smell of nearby Bohs/Shels palpable. Thumbs Down

Lansdowne (not Aviva).   Made for football, crowd near the action.  Pubs are better and smell of nearby Milltown brings tears to a seagull. Thumbs Up

That's all.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:39pm
Prefer Croker to the new LR stadium but not the old one.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

In the old LR there used be a pitch beside it, what is there now.

Still a big pitch between Landsdown and the River behind the East Stand
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Croker: Completely unsuitable for football, crowd miles away from the action.  Pubs are dumps and smell of nearby Bohs/Shels palpable. Thumbs Down

Lansdowne (not Aviva).   Made for football, crowd near the action.  Pubs are better and smell of nearby Milltown brings tears to a seagull. Thumbs Up

That's all.
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

In the old LR there used be a pitch beside it, what is there now.

Still a big pitch between Landsdown and the River behind the East Stand

Thought it was gone.
uibhfhaile View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfhaile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Shebber Shebber wrote:

They'll both be lovely stadiums when they're finished!!Wink
love itLOLLOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:16pm
Dont think its the most popular opinion on here but i love the aviva. It looks classy when you re approaching the west stand before the railway crossing. i love the shape of it but its a pity the small stand is that low but what can ya do.the pubs are nice around the aviva and its in a nice part of Dublin.

I do think there'll be an improvement in the atmosphere when trap goes. his style of football sucks any life out of the place.

Freewheeler is spot on about Croker. I dont even think its a nice stadium at all and the less said about the pubs around it the better. the smell of sh*t of buffers when i went into quinns was rank.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Dont think its the most popular opinion on here but i love the aviva. It looks classy when you re approaching the west stand before the railway crossing. i love the shape of it but its a pity the small stand is that low but what can ya do.the pubs are nice around the aviva and its in a nice part of Dublin.

I do think there'll be an improvement in the atmosphere when trap goes. his style of football sucks any life out of the place.

Freewheeler is spot on about Croker. I dont even think its a nice stadium at all and the less said about the pubs around it the better. the smell of sh*t of buffers when i went into quinns was rank.

Westport man goes to Dublin and is put of by the smell of Buffs in the pubs! ffsLOL
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:19pm

That's all.

I couldn't disagree more. Not contest for me, croker wins hands down for pubs. This is what I'm basing it on.

Baggot St / Ballsbridge is a posh rugby focused area, and always has been. I used to drink in The Den and Cullens (yes I'm aware who owns it) mainly in the old LR days and both of those boozers (along with many more) used to put 50c on the price of a pint on match days. And more often than not you used to end up getting pints in plastic cups, even if drinking inside. I'm 10 years drinking in the Hill on Gardiner St before and after games and have never once been given a plastic cup, and I still think that its only about €4.50 a pint.

Quinns, The Big Tree, Meaghers etc,  all big pubs which accomodate a match crowd within a couple of minutes walk of Croker and you can guaruntee there will be a big crowd in them, no need to organise meets on the internet to help get a crowd in.

2 completely different areas but I'd rather drink around Croker anyday than join the indoor scarf wearing brigade in D4.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

That's all.

I couldn't disagree more. Not contest for me, croker wins hands down for pubs. This is what I'm basing it on.

Baggot St / Ballsbridge is a posh rugby focused area, and always has been. I used to drink in The Den and Cullens (yes I'm aware who owns it) mainly in the old LR days and both of those boozers (along with many more) used to put 50c on the price of a pint on match days. And more often than not you used to end up getting pints in plastic cups, even if drinking inside. I'm 10 years drinking in the Hill on Gardiner St before and after games and have never once been given a plastic cup, and I still think that its only about €4.50 a pint.

Quinns, The Big Tree, Meaghers etc,  all big pubs which accomodate a match crowd within a couple of minutes walk of Croker and you can guaruntee there will be a big crowd in them, no need to organise meets on the internet to help get a crowd in.

2 completely different areas but I'd rather drink around Croker anyday than join the indoor scarf wearing brigade in D4.
Agree completely
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
Im with Sausy on this one. Boozers around Croker are quality and good selection. We start from Smyth's in Fairview, there's also Gaffney's, Meaghars and Clonliffe House if you are coming up from Fairview, with Fairview Park for cans if the weather is good. Then Jury's, Big Tree, Fagans, Cat and Cage, Quinn's on the other side. 

The new Lansdowne just isnt intimidating enough. I far preferred the old run down stadium. It was a dump, but it was our dump that had character
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Im with Sausy on this one. Boozers around Croker are quality and good selection. We start from Smyth's in Fairview, there's also Gaffney's, Meaghars and Clonliffe House if you are coming up from Fairview, with Fairview Park for cans if the weather is good. Then Jury's, Big Tree, Fagans, Cat and Cage, Quinn's on the other side. 

The new Lansdowne just isnt intimidating enough. I far preferred the old run down stadium. It was a dump, but it was our dump that had character

this Clap
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

That's all.

That's traitorous, that is sausy!Cry
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:59pm
Croker is home to a sports organisation that practices bigotry and sporting apartheit. As such its a grey, bleak place in a slum. Does the job fine for the agrisports.

Lansdowne is a far newer, cleaner, brighter build in a far more fitting part of town for the national game.

Croker does have some nice touches in the premium level, I have actually seen people reading books in the leather chairs where it is quiet when the game was on. But overall the new LR is a better build with better views on a far better pitch.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:04pm
Croker has character and atmosphe (when its full)
Landsdowne did as well
The Aviva doesn't
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:09pm
Well Croker is full twice a year when all the 'volunteers' of the Gah scalp their tickets, so I will have to take your word for it.

It depends on what you call atmosphere. Some middle aged farmers with string on their hats shouting racial abuse at the referee isn't to me an atmosphere. The cup final between Rovers and Sligo was.

The Irish fans haven't given the place a proper baptism wheres the LoI and rugby fans have. That says more about them then the stadium.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Croker has character and atmosphe (when its full)
Landsdowne did as well
The Aviva doesn't

100% true.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Well Croker is full twice a year when all the 'volunteers' of the Gah scalp their tickets, so I will have to take your word for it.

It depends on what you call atmosphere. Some middle aged farmers with string on their hats shouting racial abuse at the referee isn't to me an atmosphere. The cup final between Rovers and Sligo was.

The Irish fans haven't given the place a proper baptism wheres the LoI and rugby fans have. That says more about them then the stadium.

LOL

Which race do they insult?
Do Cavan people have their own race?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic