You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

When you compare lanesdown Rd or Croker to the millennium stadium they are very poor. Millennium stadium cost about half what lanesdown rd cost.

Favourite stadium to watch football. Absolute quality.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Originally posted by MaradonaSeven MaradonaSeven wrote:

What are the pros and cons of both stadiums. Pros of Croke park are capacity although rarely full, a terrace, big area were food and drinks are. Cons: location not much around there. <FONT #000000??>Lack of atmosphere.

Aviva: cons Lower tiers not steep enough, too many preminum seats, area were food and drink is to pokey.
Pros: close to the pitch ,signing section

Ever been an all-Ireland final day. Croke Park wasnt the reason there was no atmosphere. sh*te attendances were.

Been to good few hurling ones. And the two hurling final this year had good athmosphere, especially the Galway fans. But I fell Croke Paek too big for an atmosphere to develop.

Great set of lads those guys are Between themselves and Kilkenny they brought 22,000 to the Leinster final. 

I was at that too Wexford minors playing that day. The crowd was desperate. The bandwagoners fans then Baldrick.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
They're both great for what they are intended for (ie Croker great for GAA, crap for football; Aviva great for football, crap for NFL). I think the aviva feels a little "cheaper" (seats/stairs/bars) than Croker, but being closer to the action is a big plus. The atmosphere in both is great if the action on the field is living up to it.

Wouldn't have any problem with the location of either, plenty of boozers around both.

Feckin delighted I live in a city with these two magnificant stadia

flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm
I think the atmosphere at the Italy qualifier and France playoffs were better than any atmosphere at Lansdowne
GWAN YBIG
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

Where do you want us to play our games? Richmond Park? You'll be on top of the pitch, they'll need about 10 balls to finish the game, but one end is called "the shed", with half the roof of it demolished. You'll fork €15 out to stand in that tip every time.

We pay fair prices to go to Lansdowne, we deserve some comfort for it. It won't be "soulless" for the Poland game, but rather too much "Polska BC" Confused for my liking.

Edited by planning - 04 Feb 2013 at 4:01pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

I think the atmosphere at the Italy qualifier and France playoffs were better than any atmosphere at Lansdowne

France probably best I've ever seen
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
Both average stadiums IMO
Both could have been so much better
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

Where do you want us to play our games? Richmond Park? You'll be on top of the pitch, they'll need about 10 balls to finish the game, but one end is called "the shed", with half the roof of it demolished. You'll fork €15 out to stand in that tip every time.

We pay fair prices to go to Lansdowne, we deserve some comfort for it. It won't be "soulless" for the Poland game, but rather too much "Polska BC" Confused for my liking.

I think the design could have been much better. For starters the stands are still too far from the pitch imo, the north end is sh*te and them white pipes look horrendous and blocks the spectators view of other fans.  The corporate section is too big.  I have been in the Millenium stadium and that is much much better. Its tight and the atmosphere is way better. We should have built a smaller version, 40,000 capacity stadium with fook all corporate seats (ideally none) and have it built with atmosphere in mind. The aviva was built for rugby to be honest.  Very big corporate sectors, with business in mind not atmosphere.  Someone said the aviva was built to have good acoustics. Thats a load of rubbish. You cant hear the PA for god's sake and the atmosphere is shocking. As someone said the lower terraces could have been made a bit steeper. It's a functional arena thats all that can be said for it. Might win awards for architecture but it wont win any rewards on or off the pitch for atmosphere. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Both average stadiums IMO
Both could have been so much better

In what way, I like that croke park has terrace but my ideal one would be like Dortmunds one.
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:57pm
I would love to nuke both Lansdowne Road and Croke Park, I also hate ****s who call a football ground after a sponsor AngryAngryAngryAngry
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:27pm
+1
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:51pm
You cant compere two stadia that were built for different purposes Croke park is a tremendous stadium built for and used by an amateur association and no better place to be when its near a full house Down or Dublin games Thumbs Up a statistic used in local gaa circles is that it only breaks even when the attendance is over 26000 people - The GAA shouldnt be about money and Croker should be used for all GAA showcase games no matter the code regardless of attendance -Never had any bother around the pubs be it Cat and Cage / Kennedy's / Skylon -Northside or the Big tree / Meaghers / etc etc on the other side - as for the new Aviva dont know much about that side of town apart from Clann na Gael fontenoys 3 euro a pint midweek - the vintage - the old jurys hotels x 3 but as a stadium not the best ive ever been in
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:00pm
Croke Park:
Pros:Capacity very high
nice to see a terrace,even if its not symetrical to the rest of the ground
when full makes incredible noise.

Cons:To people outside of Ireland such as away fans in the football it seemed like a temporary stand.
  And playing surface too big for football

Lansdowne:
Pros:Very nice and modern looking
Good facilities
The fact that there is a section where you can stand,sing and shout (SS)

Cons:The north stand!would have been nice to see a two tier end or something along those lines not so much a carbon copy of the south but definitely not the half-arsed north stand we have         now
As somebody said above it can be quite soulless.
and of course the sponsored name.

Edited by GreenArmy! - 04 Feb 2013 at 7:01pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm
Aviva doesn't have nice facilities. Crap, tight entrances for the jacks, massive queues for the shops and bars that don't open for soccer matches. I know they open for rugby matches, but frankly they could be used as shops during the soccer matches selling far more than they do. The queues are terrible at the shops for football matches, way worse than at rugby matches (i've been twice) even when the attendance is the same.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:03pm
I am happy that I will never need to go back to Croke Park again Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:08pm

I find Lansdowne road very cramped in the concourse area and not nearly enough toilets. TBH they were probably better off building a new stadium on a green field site, which they will probably have to after this version of Lansdowne Road is expired.

The queues for booze at rugby matches is actually alright. Food is no goer for rugby or football. 

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:08pm
What's the deal with the toilets in LR they are so cramped and pokey. Is this the same all over only been in the south stand., cant remember what they like in east stand.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm

What's the deal with the toilets in LR they are so cramped and pokey. Is this the same all over only been in the south stand., cant remember what they like in east stand.

I was in the east stand before and its still the same. Even in the premium area in the South there are huge queues.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic