You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

My money and i choose where i want to spend it , and like Wheelo i will never go to Croke Park again .

Deal with it Baldie and move on . 

LOL Of course it is. Nobody is saying you should be forced to go to Croke Park.  But it is a small minded decision in my opinion based on a dislike of the GAA I suspect. 

Also what would you do if the village people reformed and played Croke Park.  
The village people play there all the time. It's for the village people that the GAA exists...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 5:36pm
the answer to bigotry is not more bigotry.  There was and still is people involved in the GAA that would make your skin crawl, but the same goes for the FAI. In fact one of them was running the show for a while.  
AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 11:09am
My god this thread has gotten stupid and bitter. Decades old GAA rules on banning of foreign games and the muppets in charge of the FAI being brought in to a debate on 2 modern stadiums Confused. Not to mention the obvious fact they are built for two different purposes, might as well comment that Wimbledon Tennis club have lovely stadiums but too small for football.
Surely both stadiums can only be compared by facilities? Been mentioned a few times on here that the concourse areas in Lansdowne are far to narrow and tight where as in Croker they are extremely open and large areas, down to the space available for redevelopment at Lansdowne but they should be bigger. Like women's toilets being changed to men's, shows an oversight at design stage.

IMO the premium & corporate levels in Lansdowne are far too big for football and clearly this pandered to the rugby crowed. I don't think the facilities in Lansdowne premium compare in anyway to that in Croker. Premium in Croker feels like walking around a nice hotel with restaurants and bars while my experience of premium in Lansdowne has been of just another tier with plastic pint cups. 

I think Lansdowne definitely holds in noise better but hard to compare given there is normally a much more partisan crowed at matches there. 

Can't be used to compare the two but I much more prefer the area around Croker for pubs and pre/post game atmosphere. But obviously just a personal preference.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

My god this thread has gotten stupid and bitter. Decades old GAA rules on banning of foreign games and the muppets in charge of the FAI being brought in to a debate on 2 modern stadiums Confused. Not to mention the obvious fact they are built for two different purposes, might as well comment that Wimbledon Tennis club have lovely stadiums but too small for football.
Surely both stadiums can only be compared by facilities? Been mentioned a few times on here that the concourse areas in Lansdowne are far to narrow and tight where as in Croker they are extremely open and large areas, down to the space available for redevelopment at Lansdowne but they should be bigger. Like women's toilets being changed to men's, shows an oversight at design stage.

IMO the premium & corporate levels in Lansdowne are far too big for football and clearly this pandered to the rugby crowed. I don't think the facilities in Lansdowne premium compare in anyway to that in Croker. Premium in Croker feels like walking around a nice hotel with restaurants and bars while my experience of premium in Lansdowne has been of just another tier with plastic pint cups. 

I think Lansdowne definitely holds in noise better but hard to compare given there is normally a much more partisan crowed at matches there. 

Can't be used to compare the two but I much more prefer the area around Croker for pubs and pre/post game atmosphere. But obviously just a personal preference.
I'd agree with all of that, bar the area, prefer the pubs around Landsdowne, especially since the big ones around Croker disappeared (Big Tree, Quinns). The spillover has meant the others are far too busy these days.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 4:13pm
I think the Aviva is a nicer stadium then Croke Park which looks like a multi-storey car park at the corners but there's no doubt the Croke Park Premium section is way better than at the Aviva. It's not even a close comparison. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 5:29pm
You can really feel the history associated with Croker when you're in it.The Hill, The Hogan stand, they're icononic Irish sporting monuments really. The insurance bowl doesn't have that unfortunately. It doesn't in anyway feel connected to the old Lansdown Road IMO. 

It's horses for courses though. They are 2 excellent modern stadiums and we are lucky to have them in country of this size. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

You can really feel the history associated with Croker when you're in it.The Hill, The Hogan stand, they're icononic Irish sporting monuments really. The insurance bowl doesn't have that unfortunately. It doesn't in anyway feel connected to the old Lansdown Road IMO. 

It's horses for courses though. They are 2 excellent modern stadiums and we are lucky to have them in country of this size. 
I'd have loved them to rebuild Landsdowne in the same shape as the old stadium, 2 giant stands, and a single tier at either end. Would have kept some of the character but obviously money talks.

Same for every stadium to be fair. Would love to see a stadium like Upton Pak, Highbury just rebuild wih the same outline, just completely modernised.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:08pm
there was feck all wrong with the aviva when we were
Chasing an equaliser at 2-3 v Russia
beating Germany 1-0

etc

Problem being  we have usually been muck/playing muck ,

the way people are talking you could put the Brazil 1970 team in the aviva and they would stink the place out
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:03am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I've never really thought about it before but "premium" level in Lansdowne is an overstatement alright. It's extremely basic for the prices that are charged.

In terms of match day experience for an Ireland game, Lansdowne is far better. Pubs are closer, less of a walk to the stadium, etc. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic