You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

With the exception of the small stand I think Lansdowne is a very good stadium. A decent view from most areas, the stands are close to the pitch (unlike a lot of stadiums that are being built now), it's within walking range of the city centre with plenty around it. Is it the best stadium I've ever been in? No, but it's better than most. A big one is accessibility. A lot if stadiums now are built in the middle of nowhere and are a pain in the hole to get to/from.

The concourse in the south stand lower is far too small. Gets way too crowded on big match days. Bottle necks everywhere
Danger here, OH NO
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:15am
Croke Park is only good when it gets to the All Ireland series (Quarter finals on)
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:45pm
Both are good but I'd go with croker for the extra 30k capacity and large terrace. The atmosphere for ROI matches seemed terrible but then so were results on the pitch.

The match against Italy when we drew 2 2 the place was absolutely hoping. Incredible atmosphere. When we moved to the aviva the atmosphere wasn't great for a while either and it was dire for the rugby team. 

Edited by eireland - 10 Sep 2021 at 12:46pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:46pm
Love Croker for Dublin matches but not a fan for soccer because the pitch being centered the way it was. 

Aviva is a decent stadium and great location. Be a nightmare having to take a bus or something out to Abbotstown and then back again.
I do agree the view in 114 is not great. I've tend to watch from the upper east or west recently as you get a great view of the match. Obviously you miss the atmosphere but I justify it by being a posted agent in the stand who will try and get the people around me to join in the chants when they get going

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Both are good but I'd go with croker for the extra 30k capacity and large terrace. The atmosphere for ROI matches seemed terrible but then so were results on the pitch.

The match against Italy when we drew 2 2 the place was absolutely hoping. Incredible atmosphere. When we moved to the aviva the atmosphere wasn't great for a while either and it was dire for the rugby team. 

If the fare served up is dire the atsmosphere will suffer and you can’t really blame the fans 

traps crucial home game v Slovakia a game in point the ground was bouncing at the start but the had the life drained from us as the game progressed . A Radiohead song would of cheered you up at the end 

Nothing wrong with the Aviva if those on the pitch do the business , Shane long v Germany I will take to my grave 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:44pm
Yup. The Bosnia game too had a great atmosphere. As has been said, if the team is doing well the place is hopping.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Yup. The Bosnia game too had a great atmosphere. As has been said, if the team is doing well the place is hopping.

The playoff game against Denmark it was bouncing beforehand too and absolute carnage when Duffy scored. Obviously it went downhill badly from there!!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:02pm
I used to blame the acoustics of the Aviva for the poor atmosphere...In reality if the team is doing well the atmosphere will be better. To be fair to the non singing section areas, they got involved far more the last two matches and it improved things greatly
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

To be fair to the non singing section areas, they got involved far more the last two matches and it improved things greatly

Thought the same myself Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:41am

I used to blame the acoustics of the Aviva for the poor atmosphere...In reality if the team is doing well the atmosphere will be better. To be fair to the non singing section areas, they got involved far more the last two matches and it improved things greatly

I used to think the same but the Bohs games with 6-8k at each game disproved that. The action on the pitch is definitely the major factor in sustaining a decent atmosphere.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:56am
Horses for courses. The new Lansdown took a little while to settle into, but it really feels like home now. And I've always thought the atmosphere there has been good when we played in games where there was something on the line and we were pressing. The last 10 minutes against Switzerland and Denmark in the last campaign, the place was rocking for example.

A full Croker for a big GAA match is hard to beat though. I'm not sure I've been to any sporting event that had a better atmosphere than the 2011 All Ireland Final. Even at 50% capacity, if Mayo win today you'll definitely feel it through the tv
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I used to think the same but the Bohs games with 6-8k at each game disproved that. The action on the pitch is definitely the major factor in sustaining a decent atmosphere.

Yep defo. Easy to blame acoustics and even the teams performance but it's the crowd that create atmospheres and thankfully there is some improvement on this front
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm
In the West Upper the other night, about 3-4 rows from front. When you sit back in seat, can't see the near touchline. Some sh*te stadium. LOL
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

In the West Upper the other night, about 3-4 rows from front. When you sit back in seat, can't see the near touchline. Some sh*te stadium. LOL

You must be tiny. I've a ST there and can see the touchline no problem. I think it's a great view of the game also.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:13pm

Well, it does look like a bedpan for a reason.

Can't have skyscrapers to protect our sh*te skyline.

Can't have nice stadiums because the old farts who live in proximity to them think they own the sunlight.

Can't have concerts because the old farts who live in proximity to them can't handle a bit of noise between 8 and 10 any more than 5 times a year.

Nothing more Irish than old people needing something to moan about or make them feel important.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Can't have nice stadiums because the old farts who live in proximity to them think they own the sunlight.

Can't have concerts because the old farts who live in proximity to them can't handle a bit of noise between 8 and 10 any more than 5 times a year.

Nothing more Irish than old people needing something to moan about or make them feel important.
Like you now? LOL

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Like you now? LOL

I might be mistaken but is this not the chap who’s made the things that annoy thread his own?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:28pm

You mean in the case of Croker a main rail line behind the hill and then private homes. God forbid people don’t want to sell their homes. 
In the case of LR, again some people didn’t want to sell their homes, again their absolute right. Nothing to do with sunlight in either case as properties and legal property boundaries were used in their fullest by each stadium development. Regardless people have every right to want to see a bit of sunshine. Your abuse of the elderly here is disgusting.

Yet again more abuse of the elderly. These people, of all ages, live beside football stadiums not music venues. They have never, to my knowledge opposed any sporting event, certainly not that I can recall making the headlines. They have every right to be able to enjoy their own homes and environs to the max and certainly expect where agreement was reached for non sporting events to take place, that such agreements are then respected by moneybag promoters and sports bodies and that they’re not trampled over. You citing a bit of noise between 8-10 just shows even more the clueless ridiculousness of your post. Fair play to the residents standing their ground

Nothing more Irish than Irish people labelling those standing up for themselves as old people needing something to moan about

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Oct 2021 at 3:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic