You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Healy-Rae/kerry gombeens at it again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Healy-Rae/kerry gombeens at it again
    Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:46am

Kerry county councillors have backed a motion calling for a permit system to allow isolated rural people to drink and drive over the current legal limit.

The motion, tabled by Councillor Danny Healy-Rae, was passed yesterday by five votes to three, with the remainder of the councillors either absent or abstaining.

Councillors said the permits would be issued at the discretion of local gardaí.

Mr Healy-Rae said a permit system would go a long way towards tackling rural isolation.

He said people living in rural areas cannot avail of buses or trains and have limited access to taxis.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Healy-Rae said the motorists would only be travelling at low speeds on local roads.

He said: "I'm not asking to break the law. What I'm asking is that a different law be implemented to cater for these kind of people ... Two or three drinks would be the amount.

"I don't want to cause any deaths. What I'm trying to do is prevent deaths because it has been known, and it has been mentioned by our coroner, that suicide is becoming an ever-increasing problem.

"While I'm not saying that this is the cause of all the suicides, we must start somewhere and prevent everyone that we can."

Kerry Mayor Terry O'Brien said he opposed the motion because it did not "make any sense" to him.

The Labour Councillor said: "It is incredibly dangerous. I don't know how anybody can be allowed to say 'You've had two pints, so you're justified to drive'.

"I don't know what expertise one would have to look at someone in a bar to give them a permit to drive a car after any alcohol."

A number of the councillors who passed the motion are publicans, but Mr Healy-Rae denied that the councillors' professions influenced the vote.

The council will write to the Department of Justice to propose the law change.

WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:54am
FFS....

diff planet
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:00am
Crazy idea but he has a point about social exclusion in rural areas
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:04am
I agree with this idea.

Poor lads out in the middle of nowhere, no other way home. They're not causing any harm (we're not talking boy racers here), they just want to have a bit of a social life. If they get caught at present with 2/3 pints they could be off the road and totally stranded.
Trap for Pope View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap for Pope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:12am
Agreed greengiant, but there is no end to this families gombeenism....

Does he ever listen to himself? 

Jackie: 'You're driving to Killarney Padjoe, so you can only have the 1 pint'. 

Padjoe: 'Not tonight Jackie, I'm driving 5 miles to ballygobackwards', 

'Just the 3 for you so Padjoe.....'

FFS!!
Living for Away days
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:17am
absolute joke... who defines what is rural or not... how many miles does you have to live from pub...

Gardai will not allow this to happen anyway..Permit system has no bearing on the law as the law is the law!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Trap for Pope Trap for Pope wrote:

Agreed greengiant, but there is no end to this families gombeenism....

Does he ever listen to himself? 

Jackie: 'You're driving to Killarney Padjoe, so you can only have the 1 pint'. 

Padjoe: 'Not tonight Jackie, I'm driving 5 miles to ballygobackwards', 

'Just the 3 for you so Padjoe.....'

FFS!!
I agree it would never work but it is a serious issue,no easy resolution if any at all,which is sad really. Although i heard a local rumour about a taxi man bringing black women round to these lads and picking them up the next morning!!,might not be all bad for them!!,god knows how much they are fleecing old farmer bachelors for!!
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:24am
you'd think most aul lads who have been drinking all their lives would be able to have 3 pints and still blow under the limit.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:26am
Solution is a a number of pubs to pitch in for a mini bus and for it to do a run of the houses every hour from about 11 onwards.  If you get 5 pubs in a rural area to pitch on it, it could be workable. 
AKA pedantic kunt
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:26am
This has absoultely nothing to do with the fact that Jackie has a pub in the middle of nowhere and all his clientele have to drive to his pub EmbarrassedAngry

fookin eejit of the highest order.

Edited by colemanY2K - 22 Jan 2013 at 10:27am
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Solution is a a number of pubs to pitch in for a mini bus and for it to do a run of the houses every hour from about 11 onwards.  If you get 5 pubs in a rural area to pitch on it, it could be workable. 

Rural...5 pubs...thats a major town in Kerry
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Exactly plus if theres 2-3 pubs chipping in there will always be 1 who feels there missing out and kick up.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:36am

that could be a diameter of 20km or so. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Exactly plus if theres 2-3 pubs chipping in there will always be 1 who feels there missing out and kick up.
kick up to who. Its a private solution betwen the pubs if they are not happy then tough.  Its a private soluction amongst a number of pubs. 5 does not have to be the number.  Its a workable agreement between pubs in a similar areas that is mutually beneficial to all the pubs concerned. If it is not benefcial then the pub will not become involved.   There are a number of these already working around the country. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:47am

Would the driver of the minbus have a permit allowing him to have a pint in all the pubs?
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Would the driver of the minbus have a permit allowing him to have a pint in all the pubs?
No the driver would be AidoM and he would send all the passengers off to sleep
AKA pedantic kunt
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:54am
Jackie owns a pub, well maybe its in his son's name in Kilgarvan on the way into Kenmare -

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:01am

Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

kick up to who. Its a private solution betwen the pubs if they are not happy then tough.  Its a private soluction amongst a number of pubs. 5 does not have to be the number.  Its a workable agreement between pubs in a similar areas that is mutually beneficial to all the pubs concerned. If it is not benefcial then the pub will not become involved.   There are a number of these already working around the country. 
Im not slating the idea Baldrick,i thought u meant bring them to a village with 2-3 pubs and let them bail into whatever one they want. Thats why i said some publican might kick up because he could be forking out his share for the bus and not get a customer out of it or give out that the other pub is busier etc!. I like the idea of a pub crawl thing,i wouldnt like to be the bus driver trying to get them aul lads out of the pub! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic