You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:49am
I am guessing most people will have one of
Those already :)
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

The lockdown has not been good for the weight so just signed up for the bike to work and got myself a road bike. I've never had one. Always mountain bikes and one hybrid yoke.

Just took it for a spin. Hands are sore, back sore (just to the position you need to take) and my hole is sore... f**k sakes 

What route you doing?

I usually do a few cycles out to Howth and back or up to Westwood - which is approx 20k and takes about 50m.

Do a bit of sprinting and circuits as well.

You don't burn many calories cycling, it's probably the least effective way.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The lockdown has not been good for the weight so just signed up for the bike to work and got myself a road bike. I've never had one. Always mountain bikes and one hybrid yoke.

Just took it for a spin. Hands are sore, back sore (just to the position you need to take) and my hole is sore... f**k sakes 

What route you doing?

I usually do a few cycles out to Howth and back or up to Westwood - which is approx 20k and takes about 50m.

I'd be inclined to agree that cycling is not the most effective way to lose weight if that is your aim. It is time consuming to put in the amount of effort required to lose weight and then the food required to keep going often ends up in coffee and buns of some sort. I guess if you really enjoy it though, you won't mind putting the time in. Running and kettle bells are far more effective for weight loss.
I had a road bike, but got away from that type of cycling as I don't like the position and would agree that there is often a rare level of goon who takes up cycling. I've a good hybrid bike now, which is much more comfortable for cycling to work on and on my longer cycles allows me to take in views better.
Cycled east coast to west last summer and Mizen to Malin on the hybrid with saddle bags attached. Beautiful way to travel and less chance of punctures on the hybrid bike I find too. 
Regardless of speed or type of bike though you still need the cycling shorts for anything over 40km.

Edited by whitesideOnside - 07 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 1:05pm

What route you doing?

I dunno about that, I find it easier to burn a lot of calories on a cycle than a run. Just looking at my last of each on strava...

Cycle - 2hrs - 59k - 1565 calories
Run - 1hr - 12k - 1092 calories

So yes, running is more effective time-wise, but I wouldn't be able to keep running long enough to burn 1600 calories, whereas I can on the bike.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 2:45pm
Was looking for a bike online recently. Nowhere has any unless they cost over a grand. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
lets get to the main issue here McG, what steroids you now using?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Was looking for a bike online recently. Nowhere has any unless they cost over a grand. 

On the bike to work scheme that can come in for less than 500 euro though depending on what tax band you are on.  Plus can be spread out over the course or a year so 50% off and spread out over a period of time up to 12 months with no interest.  
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 4:14pm
just did 40km

My gaff to Baldoyle to portmarnock back to Sutton, up over the poxy hill from Howth village and up to summit, hit a nervous top speed of 35kph (laugh at me lads but new bike nerves) coming back down the other side of the hill down into Sutton, then out on cycle track to the wooden bridge in Clontarf then back to Elphin and through Baldoyle and home. 

Arse be in bits.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

lets get to the main issue here McG, what steroids you now using?

Justice hooked me up with an IV
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm

just did 40km

My gaff to Baldoyle to portmarnock back to Sutton, up over the poxy hill from Howth village and up to summit, hit a nervous top speed of 35kph (laugh at me lads but new bike nerves) coming back down the other side of the hill down into Sutton, then out on cycle track to the wooden bridge in Clontarf then back to Elphin and through Baldoyle and home. 

Arse be in bits.

Edit

54kph according to my Garmin. Kin ell.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:59pm

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.

Edit

Easily hit 50kph downhill on a racing bike, some adrenalin rush but yea scary... Thankfully all my falls have been at reasonable speeds LOL
Why no wine??!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.

Edit

Easily hit 50kph downhill on a racing bike, some adrenalin rush but yea scary... Thankfully all my falls have been at reasonable speeds LOL

Pretty sure Ger hared off at 70kph Pat man LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.
Did ya make it up the Howth hill without stopping? It's a decent test from the village side. That new route from Baldoyle to Portmarnock is lovely, was out on it this morning
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.
Did ya make it up the Howth hill without stopping? It's a decent test from the village side. That new route from Baldoyle to Portmarnock is lovely, was out on it this morning

Haha few stops man. One of the lads on a MTB so we helped him out a bit. 

Yeah it’s a cracking stretch and when they extend to skerries and beyond it will be a good spin.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 7:28pm

Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.

Edit

Pretty sure Ger hared off at 70kph Pat man LOL

Hit 88.5 kph coming down mt.Ventoux in France, on a road I had never been on before, some buzz.

Took a few Strava KOMs today averaging about 50 on flat roads with a nice wee wind. 

Once you get a bit more confidence you’ll be grand with those speeds, just gotta learn to trust your tyres and brakes.

As said above, minute for minute you will burn more calories on a run, but you will always do more on the bike, I did a 25k run about a month ago and was 1300 calories, burnt 1200 this morning on the bike. I could get up and go again on the bike tomorrow but I wouldn’t be able to go for a run

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

On the bike to work scheme that can come in for less than 500 euro though depending on what tax band you are on.  Plus can be spread out over the course or a year so 50% off and spread out over a period of time up to 12 months with no interest.  

Yeah but self employed, don't think I could get away with it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:17am

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.

Edit

That's some spin.
How long did that take?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:22am

just did 40km

Arse be in bits.

Edit

That's some spin.
How long did that take?

3 hours with stops in Portmarnock for a coffee, summit for a 99 LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic