You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How exactly does cycling and the Tour de France work?  Its an individual sport yet a team sport and you have to let your leader win ahead of you is it?  Never was into it but I'd at least like to know a tiny bit about the rules and strategy.  Watching on TG4 doesn't do much for an explanation of it.
There's far too much to go through in a post, I've read a whole book on Cycling Strategy and there's so much in it, it's ridiculous.

For the guys going for the win, the team goes back to the car to get bottles for the leader, sets pace up the mountains for the leaders, watches out for breakaways for the leader etc, none of the team will be on duty every day, or even a whole stage (some will be tasked with managing the first 100k of a stage then taking it easy.)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

How exactly does cycling and the Tour de France work?  Its an individual sport yet a team sport and you have to let your leader win ahead of you is it?  Never was into it but I'd at least like to know a tiny bit about the rules and strategy.  Watching on TG4 doesn't do much for an explanation of it.
There's far too much to go through in a post, I've read a whole book on Cycling Strategy and there's so much in it, it's ridiculous.

For the guys going for the win, the team goes back to the car to get bottles for the leader, sets pace up the mountains for the leaders, watches out for breakaways for the leader etc, none of the team will be on duty every day, or even a whole stage (some will be tasked with managing the first 100k of a stage then taking it easy.)

I see the Irish lad won the green jersey for being the best sprinter yeah?  So is there sprinting stages and today was one of them? 

Edited by Trap junior - 08 Sep 2020 at 5:09pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:20pm
Jaysus that was some stage for a pure flat one, working from home this week so watched the whole lot!

Delighted for Bennett, will take a lot of the pressure of him now, might even have another chance tomorrow. Hopefully Roche is ok and not not banged up after his crash.

TJ, it's also on itv 4 if you don't have eurosport.
Basically Sams team spent the whole day working from him, keeping him sheltered from the wind, setting the pace so the breakaway never got too far ahead and gave him a great lead out in the sprint

The green Jersey is for points, stage winner gets the most points, he gets the jersey as he has the most points over the whole race so far

Edited by Shoco - 08 Sep 2020 at 5:21pm

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Jaysus that was some stage for a pure flat one, working from home this week so watched the whole lot!

Delighted for Bennett, will take a lot of the pressure of him now, might even have another chance tomorrow. Hopefully Roche is ok and not not banged up after his crash.

TJ, it's also on itv 4 if you don't have eurosport.
Basically Sams team spent the whole day working from him, keeping him sheltered from the wind, setting the pace so the breakaway never got too far ahead and gave him a great lead out in the sprint

The green Jersey is for points, stage winner gets the most points, he gets the jersey as he has the most points over the whole race so far

I thought the yellow jersey was for most points or whoever is leading the tour?
ITV4 have it blocked in ROI as TG4 have it.  Don't have Eurosport

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:38pm
yellow jersey is for the quickest time

Itv4 works for me! Go into your tv and change your location to the uk rather than Ireland and you will get all the stations, might change the numbers around though

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:15pm
I see his Da is Mick Bennett 
AKA pedantic kunt
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:21pm
Back in the day it used to be on Channel 4. Used to be very informative about strategy etc to fill in the hours. Now I tend to just get the highlights afterwards.
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:01pm
just seeing the highlights of the stage today. We stayed in La Rochelle for a few days before the Belgium game at euro 2016. Did that same cycle one of the days over the bridge to ile de re. Lovely little spot La Rochelle is. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

just seeing the highlights of the stage today. We stayed in La Rochelle for a few days before the Belgium game at euro 2016. Did that same cycle one of the days over the bridge to ile de re. Lovely little spot La Rochelle is. 

So you're saying you are 4 years faster than Sam Bennett over the same stage?  Is that why you had the green jersey?

willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

So you're saying you are 4 years faster than Sam Bennett over the same stage?  Is that why you had the green jersey?
thats precisely it Tongue
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 5:14pm
Sam was beaten on the line today in a 4 man photo finish, ended up 3rd

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:06pm

Up to second now. Sagan relegated to last place. Sam's lead out to 68pts now 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 09 Sep 2020 at 6:10pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:52pm
Who would have thought that professional exerciser and celebrity The Rangers fan Bradley Wiggins would be a full-time ****? I'm shocked.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Who would have thought that professional exerciser and celebrity The Rangers fan Bradley Wiggins would be a full-time ****? I'm shocked.

LOL

You seen his "joke" to claim Bennett then I take it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:56pm
I was wondering why I, of all people, was being sent clips of cycling coverage. Another absolute idiot. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL

You seen his "joke" to claim Bennett then I take it
That was Bradley Wiggins? Confused

I thought it was just some random 52 year old Brexiteer they had dragged in from anti-mask demo

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Up to second now. Sagan relegated to last place. Sam's lead out to 68pts now 

Yeah, good day for him, Probably the right call on Sagan, it was a bit over aggressive especially after what happened with Fabio Jacobsen 

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm
Went on a cycle last night. Involved a pretty steep incline.
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic