You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

just did 40km

My gaff to Baldoyle to portmarnock back to Sutton, up over the poxy hill from Howth village and up to summit, hit a nervous top speed of 35kph (laugh at me lads but new bike nerves) coming back down the other side of the hill down into Sutton, then out on cycle track to the wooden bridge in Clontarf then back to Elphin and through Baldoyle and home. 

Arse be in bits.

Edit

54kph according to my Garmin. Kin ell.

Easily hit 50kph downhill on a racing bike, some adrenalin rush but yea scary... Thankfully all my falls have been at reasonable speeds LOL

Pretty sure Ger hared off at 70kph Pat man LOL

Hit 88.5 kph coming down mt.Ventoux in France, on a road I had never been on before, some buzz.

Took a few Strava KOMs today averaging about 50 on flat roads with a nice wee wind. 

Once you get a bit more confidence you’ll be grand with those speeds, just gotta learn to trust your tyres and brakes.

As said above, minute for minute you will burn more calories on a run, but you will always do more on the bike, I did a 25k run about a month ago and was 1300 calories, burnt 1200 this morning on the bike. I could get up and go again on the bike tomorrow but I wouldn’t be able to go for a run

Saw that there now, some going. Clap highest i've got to in the KOM's is 2nd and its on a fairly rapid downhill sprint. hitting just over the 60kph mark. Doing ok on times for this year stats. in a good few top 10 but the KOM's i'm way off. do all my cycling on my own but you do see a lot of lads riding just to beat times. i like to just cycling along around 30kph mark while these lads just cycle to the segment areas slow and then go hell for leather at the segment.
Going to upgrade the bike either at xmas or March next year when i head back to Oz on holidays. Bikes over there are much cheaper to buy with the GST you can claim back and the currency conversion. Looking at getting the Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc or the Giant Propel Advanced Pro Disc. Paid over $4k for my own bike back in 2014 so im after getting good value for money out of it. prob only get about 1k for it now if lucky. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:09am

As said above, minute for minute you will burn more calories on a run, but you will always do more on the bike, I did a 25k run about a month ago and was 1300 calories, burnt 1200 this morning on the bike. I could get up and go again on the bike tomorrow but I wouldn’t be able to go for a run

out of curiosity what would your average heart rate be on a cycle compared to a run? I was 165bpm for a 10k run at the weekend. Would usually be sub 160bpm but hadn't done 10k in a few weeks. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

just did 40km

My gaff to Baldoyle to portmarnock back to Sutton, up over the poxy hill from Howth village and up to summit, hit a nervous top speed of 35kph (laugh at me lads but new bike nerves) coming back down the other side of the hill down into Sutton, then out on cycle track to the wooden bridge in Clontarf then back to Elphin and through Baldoyle and home. 

Arse be in bits.

Edit

54kph according to my Garmin. Kin ell.

Easily hit 50kph downhill on a racing bike, some adrenalin rush but yea scary... Thankfully all my falls have been at reasonable speeds LOL

Pretty sure Ger hared off at 70kph Pat man LOL

Hit 88.5 kph coming down mt.Ventoux in France, on a road I had never been on before, some buzz.

Took a few Strava KOMs today averaging about 50 on flat roads with a nice wee wind. 

Once you get a bit more confidence you’ll be grand with those speeds, just gotta learn to trust your tyres and brakes.

Saw that there now, some going. Clap highest i've got to in the KOM's is 2nd and its on a fairly rapid downhill sprint. hitting just over the 60kph mark. Doing ok on times for this year stats. in a good few top 10 but the KOM's i'm way off. do all my cycling on my own but you do see a lot of lads riding just to beat times. i like to just cycling along around 30kph mark while these lads just cycle to the segment areas slow and then go hell for leather at the segment.
Going to upgrade the bike either at xmas or March next year when i head back to Oz on holidays. Bikes over there are much cheaper to buy with the GST you can claim back and the currency conversion. Looking at getting the Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc or the Giant Propel Advanced Pro Disc. Paid over $4k for my own bike back in 2014 so im after getting good value for money out of it. prob only get about 1k for it now if lucky. 

I don't really bother with them TBH, If i'm on a club spin then you ignore them, If i'm doing a structured session then you ignore them. If i'm just out for a spin and there's a decent wind I might have a go at one if its of any interest to me. Though with the lockdown there's a few of us here have been having a good go at the local ones for a bit of fun. That will stop now with the restrictions lifted today.

The TCR's are lovely bikes, love the frames and they still haven't gone for the dropped seat stays which is a bonus.

Not a fan of the propel, or any aero bike really, all look the same

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

out of curiosity what would your average heart rate be on a cycle compared to a run? I was 165bpm for a 10k run at the weekend. Would usually be sub 160bpm but hadn't done 10k in a few weeks. 
Lower on the bike unless you're giving it welly on a climb
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:49am

I don't think you can compare them really, you get so much more recovery on the bike.
In saying that, i've done handicap races where i've averaged 175 for an hour!

My last run, 7.14km, 36:56, HR 146
Did a half marathon in March in 1:43:30 and HR was 168, but wouldn't normally run at that pace.

Yesterday just spinning on the Bike for 2:30 it was 138bpm,
Saturday doing a structured session aver age was 140, but during the 6x10 minute efforts the average was about 165

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:24pm

I don't think you can compare them really, you get so much more recovery on the bike.
In saying that, i've done handicap races where i've averaged 175 for an hour!

My last run, 7.14km, 36:56, HR 146
Did a half marathon in March in 1:43:30 and HR was 168, but wouldn't normally run at that pace.

Yesterday just spinning on the Bike for 2:30 it was 138bpm,
Saturday doing a structured session aver age was 140, but during the 6x10 minute efforts the average was about 165

I've done an hour on an exercise bike (I know, like running on a treadmill isn't close to the same as being out) on a medium to high resistance and the heart rate was constant at 110bpm, and I was bucketing sweat!!  
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:06am
Only started at the cycling last year but really enjoy it. Got the bike & a few bits through the Bike to Work scheme and have added a few more over time. Go online and get a couple of bibs even if you're only starting, they're the only job. Amazon has good ones cheap enough for starting out. Mits are good too to protect the hands

Started with a couple of friends and first spin was 25km, couldn't walk for a day after it. Like anything else, the more you do the better you get. The average speed increases & the hills get a tad easier. Strava or a similar app is great for tracking it all & comparing your rides. Got a fall near the beginning of it all, got dehydrated/weak from not drinking enough so learned the hard way how important that & eating right on a cycle are

It's an enjoyable pass time but finding the time can be hard with kids etc compared to a 5k run or similar

Edit: Did 60k on Sunday morning. Heart rate on average was 158, peak of 198 on an absolute coont of a steep climb

Edited by Croftman - 09 Jun 2020 at 10:09am
Some people just deserve a slap
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:24pm
Anyone here go mountain biking? 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
Folks,

Have a york fitness discovery cycle training bike at home. Knee's a bit goosed so have to stop road running for a bit. The console on the front has batteries in and is able to pick up my pulse when I grasp the handles.

However, when I cycle time, speed, distance or calories aren't being picked up. So it seems when the pedals are moving whatever wire is supposed to be run isn't getting through. Anyone got any ideas?
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Folks,

Have a york fitness discovery cycle training bike at home. Knee's a bit goosed so have to stop road running for a bit. The console on the front has batteries in and is able to pick up my pulse when I grasp the handles.

However, when I cycle time, speed, distance or calories aren't being picked up. So it seems when the pedals are moving whatever wire is supposed to be run isn't getting through. Anyone got any ideas?

have you taken the handlebars off yet to make sure the wire is still connected? should only be one connection.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 4:34pm
Was a loose wire! All good now. Cheers!
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
first proper spin today since the restrictions were eased, you quickly forget how bad some of the roads are, and having traffic on them compared to the local back roads was a shock to the system

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
The bike to work scheme has been increased to €1250 for normal bikes and €1500 for electric bikes

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
Jaysis that’s great in fairness 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm

The bike to work scheme has been increased to €1250 for normal bikes and €1500 for electric bikes

And reduced to every 4 years i heard 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
Didn't hear that bit? I'm due a go again next year

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm
yeah 4 years 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 6:16pm
cool, might be able to buy again this year instead of having to wait to next year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic