You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cycling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

The lockdown has not been good for the weight so just signed up for the bike to work and got myself a road bike. I've never had one. Always mountain bikes and one hybrid yoke.

Just took it for a spin. Hands are sore, back sore (just to the position you need to take) and my hole is sore... f**k sakes 

Aye, that'll happen if you start going about in Lycra at your age.

Embarrassed
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:18pm
LOL

In fairness I was tempted as well as I am f**king piling on pounds here, but fear of certain death in cycling in London put off. 
@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:19pm
*Taking up cycling that is. Not sodomy.
@AntrimMan85
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:22pm
Pal of mine has lost serious flab and swears by leisurely cycling. Going out in the morn and I'll be nervous enough on this yoke. Straps on pedals etc. and you can feel every bump on the toad it seems. further anal probing from the saddle. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:28pm

Pal of mine has lost serious flab and swears by leisurely cycling. Going out in the morn and I'll be nervous enough on this yoke. Straps on pedals etc. and you can feel every bump on the toad it seems. further anal probing from the saddle. 

If your hands are sore it’s probably because you’re not relaxed and gripping the bars too tight. A set of mits will give you a bit more comfort, prefer not to wear them myself, will also give you stupid tan lines on your hands.

What weight are and what size are your tyres? You might be able to drop the tyre pressure a bit if you have half decent roads. 

Seeing as you have bought yourself the bike, treat yourself to a good pair of bib shorts, oh and don’t wear under ware under your shorts!! But your arse will be sore for a bit.

Did the shop at least try and set you up with a decent position on the bike? 

And what bike did you go for anyways?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

If your hands are sore it’s probably because you’re not relaxed and gripping the bars too tight. A set of mits will give you a bit more comfort, prefer not to wear them myself, will also give you stupid tan lines on your hands.

What weight are and what size are your tyres? You might be able to drop the tyre pressure a bit if you have half decent roads. 

Seeing as you have bought yourself the bike, treat yourself to a good pair of bib shorts, oh and don’t wear under ware under your shorts!! But your arse will be sore for a bit.

Did the shop at least try and set you up with a decent position on the bike? 

And what bike did you go for anyways?

i'd tip 90kg i reckon @ 6ft. bike frame size 56? tyres are 700 x 25.

sorry dont wear them? is that because they'll be rammed up your rock? 

Yeah they did help but the usual story, queue out the door, under pressure but sound lads. Got a few freebies.

Bear with me Shoco because i know you're an avid cycler. It's a Cannondale CAAD Optimo 105?

Edited by McG - 06 Jun 2020 at 7:34pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm
cannondale make love aluminium frames. 105 is a great groupset. Same performance as the top end with just a little extra weight.

At 90kg probably not much scope to reduce tyre pressure for a bit more comfort. Probably 90 psi in front and 105 in rear.

The chamois in the shorts is designed to be against the skin, the jocks just create friction. I know it’s weird at first

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:36pm
The shoco is talking sense there young McG. when i started out used to wear the mits myself but have learned not to use them. 
Defo get yourself a pair of bib shorts and some cream to rub into your balls. 
other than that sign up to the premium level of strava and set out your routes and log them into your gps if you have one for the bike. download a programme for training and go from there. start off with 10km, to 20km to 30km and so on.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:46pm

+1 on this bit

If you've your elbows straight and locked, every bump on the road will go straight to your back and shoulders. You'll be in agony after a spin on Irish roads. Make sure the elbows are a little bent, and don't grip the handlebars too much (hands should just be resting on them most of the time)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

+1 on this bit

If you've your elbows straight and locked, every bump on the road will go straight to your back and shoulders. You'll be in agony after a spin on Irish roads. Make sure the elbows are a little bent, and don't grip the handlebars too much (hands should just be resting on them most of the time)

sound lads Thumbs Up
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

The shoco is talking sense there young McG. when i started out used to wear the mits myself but have learned not to use them. 
Defo get yourself a pair of bib shorts and some cream to rub into your balls. 
other than that sign up to the premium level of strava and set out your routes and log them into your gps if you have one for the bike. download a programme for training and go from there. start off with 10km, to 20km to 30km and so on.

Have a Garmin watch and will get Strava going.

I am at 30km now comfortably from the last few spins but that was on the old bike.

Ill get buying the shorts so. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 9:56pm
If you are even think about wearing lycra it means you're a ****. Just to clear that up!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:05pm
yeah wouldnt see myself wearing lycra PM. we all know many share the same opinion on cyclists. but i think a comfy hole is necessary. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 11:28pm

yeah wouldnt see myself wearing lycra PM. we all know many share the same opinion on cyclists. but i think a comfy hole is necessary. 

Have a road bike for years and cycle in and out of work as well as leisure cycles, always wear shorts over my bib shorts Embarrassed  
Why no wine??!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:46am

Lycra is never necessary. Never. The majority of people become twats the moment they sit on a bike anyway!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lycra is never necessary. Never. The majority of people become twats the moment they sit on a bike anyway!

The scientist was ahead of the game here before he got his bike 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:35am
I found after buying the bike the two most important purchases are a decent pair of padded shorts and a pair of cycling shoes.  After that I think everything else is optional but if you are doing anything over 30km Shorts and shoes are vital.
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I found after buying the bike the two most important purchases are a decent pair of padded shorts and a pair of cycling shoes.  After that I think everything else is optional but if you are doing anything over 30km Shorts and shoes are vital.

A t-shirt probably wouldn't go astray either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic