You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

All fares on public transport tickets should be at least doubled, free travel for elderly should be discarded, a proper license and tax system should be introduced for the winged rats (cyclists).
The revenue earned should be used to repair the rural roads which have fallen into a sorry state over the last few years

The amount of elderly people who go for midweek breaks and keep hotels all around the country open due to the free travel is unreal.    Short sighted  viewpoint there Deise.  

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade.  

Public Transport in High density areas actually helps economic activing as it gets lots of people to and from work in a quick time and frees the main roads for transport of goods and services. 

Efficient well used public transports is a key component of a successful economy.
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

jeez that's dirt cheap.

I spend €25 a week on the london underground and €65 on the overground so that's a total of €90/week. My commute is approx a 50 mile round trip which works out at €18/day or €360/month.

Someone on a previous page was giving out about there being no competition but over here there is plenty of competition the only problem is te routes are carved up between the operators therefore there is no competition on many of the routes.

Overall I've found prices to have come down significantly in Ireland. What stands out though to the contrary is meals in bars and the price of alcohol. jeez I felt disgusted when I saw what I paid for a round in that snotty Bruxelles last year.

Bruxells is a rip off though. People always pick the wort places such as bruxelles, temple bar etc.  These places are outliers to the extreme.  There are other outliers at the other end such as O Reillys and Mc Turcaills at the lower end or a couple of pubs in Cork where I got a pint of Beamich for 2.90.  

As I said in an earlier post the UK has a private transport system and is one of the most expensive systems in the world.
AKA pedantic kunt
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:52pm
Havent a breeze what I was doing there but thanks Baldy Big smile
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

All fares on public transport tickets should be at least doubled, free travel for elderly should be discarded, a proper license and tax system should be introduced for the winged rats (cyclists).
The revenue earned should be used to repair the rural roads which have fallen into a sorry state over the last few years

The amount of elderly people who go for midweek breaks and keep hotels all around the country open due to the free travel is unreal.    Short sighted  viewpoint there Deise.  

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade

Public Transport in High density areas actually helps economic activing as it gets lots of people to and from work in a quick time and frees the main roads for transport of goods and services. 

Efficient well used public transports is a key component of a successful economy.

would love to see some evidence supporting this?

i dont think i have ever heard anyone describe our public transport system as efficient either

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:59pm

jeez that's dirt cheap.

I spend €25 a week on the london underground and €65 on the overground so that's a total of €90/week. My commute is approx a 50 mile round trip which works out at €18/day or €360/month.

Someone on a previous page was giving out about there being no competition but over here there is plenty of competition the only problem is te routes are carved up between the operators therefore there is no competition on many of the routes.

Overall I've found prices to have come down significantly in Ireland. What stands out though to the contrary is meals in bars and the price of alcohol. jeez I felt disgusted when I saw what I paid for a round in that snotty Bruxelles last year.

Bruxells is a rip off though. People always pick the wort places such as bruxelles, temple bar etc.  These places are outliers to the extreme.  There are other outliers at the other end such as O Reillys and Mc Turcaills at the lower end or a couple of pubs in Cork where I got a pint of Beamich for 2.90.  

As I said in an earlier post the UK has a private transport system and is one of the most expensive systems in the world.

I was with mates baldy who led the way....next time I'll know better.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:00pm
Well Sandra. say you are living out in Balbriggan, and you get the train every day and you never use the bus.  I would recommend that you get the annual train ticket which is 1120 per year. 

If you are on the higher rate of tax this would come to €585 and if you are on the lower rate of tax it would be €841 divided by 52 weeks of the year works out at 11.25  per week and 16.17  per week. 

The Bus and Train ticket is 1420 so thats €681   (13.09 per week) and €979 (18.82 per week) 

AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:04pm

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade

would love to see some evidence supporting this?

i dont think i have ever heard anyone describe our public transport system as efficient either

The Dart is very efficient and the Luas seems to be also, but I do not use it.  I think Dublin bus has very good record in relation to punctuality etc and Irishrail's punctuality.  average is in the mid 90s. Many of the biggest critics of public transport are those who find the idea repulsive to begin with and do not like sharing public spaces with people and as a result love the comfort of their car/van etc.  The dart gets me into the centre anywhere from 15 minutes to 25 minutes every day depending on which train I get.  Doing this in a car on a Saturday morning at 7am without traffic is around 25  minutes so the Dart is unbelievable in this regard as it does during rush hour.    I can go from couch to desk in less than 35 minutes.
AKA pedantic kunt
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:06pm
The only thing that is in anyway efficient is the buses that makes a loss too....very Irish!!

A mate is a bus driver and the amount of customers who are oaps, prisoners on temp release and others with freebie travel is unreal.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

How much would I have to pay on the train from Balbriggan to Sydney Parade Baldy ? only been on the thing once or twice in my life havent a clue about it, thanks.  

U living out that way? How do you find the commute across?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:13pm

The only thing that is in anyway efficient is the buses that makes a loss too....very Irish!!

A mate is a bus driver and the amount of customers who are oaps, prisoners on temp release and others with freebie travel is unreal.

Something can be efficient and make a loss.  People talk about German trains and  they make a loss.  If you look at public transport and purely judge it on a profit and loss it will probably never make a profit.  However public transport has huge benefits to society such as efficient transfer of people and allowing transfer of goods and services throughtout the  economy.  Looking at it purely on the basis of profit and loss misses the point entirely.  Countries such as Sweden, Netherlands Germany France know this and as a result have much higher subsidies for their public transport system. Ireland has one of the lowest levels of Government subsidies.
AKA pedantic kunt
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:20pm

OAPs have paid their dues, no problem with their free travel

But why do prisoners on temp release and self inflicted junkies get free travel, this wrecks my fckuin buzz
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:23pm

jeez that's dirt cheap.

They do do a fine foaming  pint of Stella thoughThumbs Up 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:24pm
I would pay money to see you pay over fiver euro for a beer.  
AKA pedantic kunt
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:25pm
They should bring back freight and cement on the trains, that was a big income but it all went away because FF were getting big money off the hauliers. Ironically the Green party made things worse.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

How much would I have to pay on the train from Balbriggan to Sydney Parade Baldy ? only been on the thing once or twice in my life havent a clue about it, thanks.  

Not yet but will more than likely be in the next few weeks. Not sure if I will hack the commute across to be honest but im going to give it a go. Do you work near Sydney Parade ?
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:28pm
dublin is an awful rip off now.......your better of stay in for 2/3 weekends(hard i know)then getting a cheap flight with ryanair to some city in spain,poland etc and going on the rip fri-sun..save yourself a bomb.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:29pm

I would pay money to see you pay over fiver euro for a beer.  

LOL, I would pay over a fiver for a decent pint of Stella, not the cats piss that is usually on offer in dublin pubs
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Not yet but will more than likely be in the next few weeks. Not sure if I will hack the commute across to be honest but im going to give it a go. Do you work near Sydney Parade ?

Balbriggan is a fair bit out, good value for renting though, there are so many places on daft so good choice. Yeah I am in Booterstown are you out there!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic