You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:50pm
Wowzers. I think it is 3.25 for a bottle of Paulaner in my local tesco. I would really love to know why they can offer those prices in O'Reillys and 5 mins down the road it is 7.45 a pint for a Carlsberg.
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Wowzers. I think it is 3.25 for a bottle of Paulaner in my local tesco. I would really love to know why they can offer those prices in O'Reillys and 5 mins down the road it is 7.45 a pint for a Carlsberg.

O Reilly's looking for volume and others to bring mates who drink bottles and shorts etc and I would say the rates are low under a train station.

The other lads have tourists sitting around pints and a few lads like sham sniffing around so they need to charge big prices and high rates in temple bar etc.

Still a joke though
AKA pedantic kunt
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:47am
Obviously the rent is higher in Temple Bar, so they need to turn over more to break even etc. But pubs in tourist hotspots are simply greedy too.

A pint here averages around 5.50 to 6.00 in town, and on Dam square they charge nearly 9....
Our pints are a fiver, and 4.50 for regulars. Pure greed, as they know the tourists will buy it anyway.
They don't need to rely on return custom. 
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:51am
Totally agree Steve
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Totally agree Steve

And as long as tourists keep paying it, they'll keep on doing it. And in fairness, this happens all over the world. I remember being in Venice in '96, and my dad having to fork out the equivalent of around 20 euro for 2 cokes and 2 small beers. That was nearly 50 guilders back then, imagine the prices now!

My dad still talks about it to this day LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 9:50am
Any of the beers I've drank in O'Reilly's have been pure muck including the Guinness.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Obviously the rent is higher in Temple Bar, so they need to turn over more to break even etc. But pubs in tourist hotspots are simply greedy too.

A pint here averages around 5.50 to 6.00 in town, and on Dam square they charge nearly 9....
Our pints are a fiver, and 4.50 for regulars. Pure greed, as they know the tourists will buy it anyway.
That €4.50 the YBIG rate too Shteve?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:42am

Totally agree Steve

And as long as tourists keep paying it, they'll keep on doing it. And in fairness, this happens all over the world. I remember being in Venice in '96, and my dad having to fork out the equivalent of around 20 euro for 2 cokes and 2 small beers. That was nearly 50 guilders back then, imagine the prices now!

Did not realise Newry Rep is your dad.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Absolutely Shammers! 10% discount for YBIG'ers on food and drinks Cool
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm

Totally agree Steve

Thankfully not LOL (No offence Newry Wink )

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Absolutely Shammers! 10% discount for YBIG'ers on food and drinks Cool
Clap
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:55pm

Totally agree Steve

Two more off newryrep s Christmas card list

And there was me just saying what a good lad you were to a mutual aquaintance ( obviously you Steve)

Edited by Newryrep - 24 Jul 2014 at 5:57pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:59am
Who are you kidding there is no way you would pay the postage for a Christmas card.
AKA pedantic kunt
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:18am
Some pubs would charge as little as €8 for two pints and a pack of crisps. €6 if it was the Sportmans.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Totally agree Steve

Two more off newryrep s Christmas card list

And there was me just saying what a good lad you were to a mutual aquaintance ( obviously you Steve)

LOL Very fond of my dad, and would not wish him to be anyone else. If it's any consolation; I would be equally thankful to say Baldrick is not my dad! 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:05am
Disgraceful prices but some barkeep tried to charge me $40 for 2 vodka and cokes in Sydney so it's a far more expensive kip IMO.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:27am
Paid €1.40 for a Whispa Gold yesterday

The Crown Court Plaza charges over €1 per dash of lime with a vodka, it's free for a mixer down the country.

Paid €6.30 or something for a Heineken shandy in Fitzsimmons the other day too robbing bastards.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:31am
That is actually something that really annoys with pubs in Dublin, charging €1 for a dash of miwadi. The whole bottle costs about €1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic