You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Jesus wept, would you give a shop €40 more for an item if you could get it elsewhere for cheaper? I would rather buy my items in a shop and keep them going but the saving is too much to be throwing money away like that, maybe if more people shop online then shops might lower their prices, we are being ripped off.

Am, no, we're not. Certainly not by way of this anecdote anyway.

It's just an example of the cost differential of buying in a physical shop versus a virtual one. The virtual shop cutting out rent, rates, electricity, marketing, wages and bulk distribution is obviously going to be cheaper. The cost of overheads are built into the retail price.

Oh yeah, and it's not really rip off Ireland either, is it? You aren't comparing like with like.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:28am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

They were sold online at a profit I'm sure, anyway I'm glad I didn't purchase for €125

And when there are no shops left and no jobs in retail for the local workforce it'll be great too.

I remember some wan complaining on Frontline about the shop closing down in her village but then followed up when asked by admiting she did most if not all of her shopping in Tesco!

Amazon and the likes, while cheaper and convenient, will destroy the local economy.

I saw a documentary on Netflix recently which said currently 70% of jobs on the planet can be done more efficiently by computers.

Which doc was it?

Either the second or third Zeitgeist iirc
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:01pm

Jesus wept, would you give a shop €40 more for an item if you could get it elsewhere for cheaper? I would rather buy my items in a shop and keep them going but the saving is too much to be throwing money away like that, maybe if more people shop online then shops might lower their prices, we are being ripped off.

It's just an example of the cost differential of buying in a physical shop versus a virtual one. The virtual shop cutting out rent, rates, electricity, marketing, wages and bulk distribution is obviously going to be cheaper. The cost of overheads are built into the retail price.

Oh yeah, and it's not really rip off Ireland either, is it? You aren't comparing like with like.

Newsflash, online shopping is huge in today's market, shops know they are being done by a lot of online shops yet it still isn't driving the prices down. A shop selling the same product online for €80 is making a profit at this price and I would say close enough to 100% markup on them(what I think not a fact) while you are telling me that the shop here is justified in their pricing because of the factors above? They could choose to sell at a lower more competitive rate which may encourage to customer to stick with the shop as opposed to buying online but they choose not to. I as the consumer want best value for money and if that means buying online and saving myself €45 then only a fool would purchase in store, not that I am calling you a fool or anything but if you are one of the people that shops in these stores and pays these extortionate prices then maybe I'm left with no other alternative.....

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:03pm
Oh and by the way, lifestyle have an online shop like most shops do with no rent, rates, electricity, marketing, wages, bulk distribution to factor in and I don't get any saving for shopping there either, your argument is poor if I'm honest

eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:46pm

Newsflash, online shopping is huge in today's market, shops know they are being done by a lot of online shops yet it still isn't driving the prices down. A shop selling the same product online for €80 is making a profit at this price and I would say close enough to 100% markup on them(what I think not a fact) while you are telling me that the shop here is justified in their pricing because of the factors above? They could choose to sell at a lower more competitive rate which may encourage to customer to stick with the shop as opposed to buying online but they choose not to. I as the consumer want best value for money and if that means buying online and saving myself €45 then only a fool would purchase in store, not that I am calling you a fool or anything but if you are one of the people that shops in these stores and pays these extortionate prices then maybe I'm left with no other alternative.....

Ah here you are probably 12 and don't grasp the most basic of economic logic so I won't waste my time. Shops are dearer because they have higher costs than a warehouse selling through the Internet. Believe it or not.

As regards Lifestyle online, why would they close their stores by selling cheaper? The only reason they have an online presence at all is to retain their real world market share.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:07pm
Popped into O'Briens for a sambo - 10e LOL

Walked out again - you could end up paying over 20e for a sambo\soup and a drink.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Walked out again - you could end up paying over 20e for a sambo\soup and a drink.

10er for a sambo in that Hot Sandwich place just over the bridge into baldoyle. Have you been Horse? Worth every penny Heart
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

10er for a sambo in that Hot Sandwich place just over the bridge into baldoyle. Have you been Horse? Worth every penny Heart

No, the O'Briens chain. The last time I went it was 5.95.

Which place are you talking about?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:01pm

No, the O'Briens chain. The last time I went it was 5.95.

Which place are you talking about?

Yeah yeah i get the kip chain you're talking about. I'm just comparing what a tenners worth gets you in the cracking place over the bridge in Baldoyle. Just in The Coast estate. Try their chorizo stack Clap

AS YOU WERE McGx

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:09pm
Can't beat BLT's in Cabinteely for a sambo. Best around Hug
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:56pm

On the flip side, I had a lovely Bento box in Zakura in Ranelagh during the week.
Miso Soup
2 pieces of Sushi
Japanese fried chicken with salad
Fillet Beef dish with rice

€11.50 Thumbs Up
El Puto Amo
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

never heard of it. Always go to News Cafe when out that way…breakfast triple decker sambo😍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 9:07am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

never heard of it. Always go to News Cafe when out that way…breakfast triple decker sambo😍

Same place. The breakfast sandwich is my go to as well. I think they have another spot in Blackrock.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:04am

Same place. The breakfast sandwich is my go to as well. I think they have another spot in Blackrock.
they sure do. Great gear. Club sambo is also quality 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:08am

they sure do. Great gear. Club sambo is also quality 

The Cabinteely one shut during covid as the sites at Cheerywood and Brennanstown Road as well as schools were closed. Hard to think how we go through those dark days.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:27am
Was one in Windy Arbour also but it’s gone now
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 12:42pm
Sambos Clap
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:26pm

Sambos Clap

Sambos are massively underrated here. We tend to think of sambos as a scabby bit of bread and butter with a bit of cheese and or ham in it.

A proper stacked sambo with all the works, like a BLT, Club, Reuben, Philly Cheese steak etc.. cannot be beaten.

I cant pass 147 deli without getting a Reuben any time Im in that part of the City.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic