You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago. With transport you dont have a choice but with pubs, if they retain those rip off prices its only because gombeens are paying those prices. May as well part fools from their money I say. If Anyone here was a publican and could increase prices if You knew people would pay them, ye would!

Get yourself a leap card cheapest fare with it is €1.40. I'm amazed at the amount of people who use Dublin Bus and still pay by cash and by doing so pay 20-30c extra per fare. You can also use the leap card on the Luas and with Irish Rail.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Depends on what tax band you are on but my dart and bus ticket work out about 13 euro net a week and that includes the airlink and nightlink as you say. 

13 euro a weeks a bargain. 

Explain this Baldy, gonna be getting dart from Portmarnock to Sydney Parade and thought it would cost me 30-35 a week?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:05pm
http://www.taxsaver.ie/

You need to buy your annual ticket and have your job deduct it directly from your wages and its deducted out of your gross so depending on which tax band you are in it will determine the savings you are on.  It may be too late to get it as it depends on your job.  Ours has to be in by November.

Edited by Baldrick - 11 Jan 2013 at 9:06pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:14pm
Am aware of tax saved just heard the savings were poor so never looked into it.

Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:23pm
The tram here in Poznan went up to 2.70pln from 2.50pln for 15 minutes -

Considering the wages -

I.e the average into your hand is about 380euro a month the transport is not that cheap. People are really complaining.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

well if you are on the higher rate of tax the tax saving is about 53 per cent when you take into account the USC and other charges such as pension levies etc. 

If you are on the lower rate of tax its still in and around 28 per cent saving. 

anyway the site shows you exactly what you would save.  Its a no brainer to do, and whoever told you that the savings were minimal is a gobsh*te.
AKA pedantic kunt
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:32pm

well if you are on the higher rate of tax the tax saving is about 53 per cent when you take into account the USC and other charges such as pension levies etc. 

anyway the site shows you exactly what you would save.  Its a no brainer to do, and whoever told you that the savings were minimal is a gobsh*te.

Steady on Baldy, when you factor in each person's case then maybe your figures are skewed, I would only commute 5 days a week and wouldn't commute for 4 weeks of the year with annual leave so when you factor in these things maybe it isn't as clear cut as you say.

Your figures are based on someone getting the maximum use of ticket, would have thought better of you than to have a biased argument to back up your case.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:35pm
So your weekly dart will be 11.25 if you are on the higher rate of tax and it will be 16.17 if you are on the lower rate. 

If you go for bus and dart which includes nightlink and the airlink it will cost

13.09  on the higher rate  and 18.82 on the lower rate.  

Nobody can say that those prices are expensive or not good value.
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:37pm

Steady on Baldy, when you factor in each person's case then maybe your figures are skewed, I would only commute 5 days a week and wouldn't commute for 4 weeks of the year with annual leave so when you factor in these things maybe it isn't as clear cut as you say.

Your figures are based on someone getting the maximum use of ticket, would have thought better of you than to have a biased argument to back up your case.

you just said you were expecting it to be 35 euro a week I am saying it can be as low as 11 euro 11 euro a week.  Its a no brainer for feck sake.  Even taking into account your 4 weeks annual leave,  it is still a massive saving.  Whether you are travelling 5 days or not if you said you were thinking it was going to be 35 a week, an average saving of 24 euro a week is not bad. 
AKA pedantic kunt
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

One of the worst pints of Guinness Ive gotten in Galway, The House Hotel - €4.90

Infuriated I walked out of there all the way to McSwiggans in woodquay for a much nicer Pint of porter at the swashbuckling price of €3 ClapClap Unbelievable stuff from the Gents in there.

mcswiggans do pints at €3? is that still on. mates arecoming down for the united pool game on sunday. might head there if thats the price
Ya was in there this weekend still 3 euro.

On another note. Bought 3 double vodka red bulls in the skeff last weekend. Dunno why I was ion there. €42. Worst Pub in Galway
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:38pm

by the way my figures are not based on usage at all. I am saying what the flat charge is.  How are they based on usage.
AKA pedantic kunt
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:39pm
How much would I have to pay on the train from Balbriggan to Sydney Parade Baldy ? only been on the thing once or twice in my life havent a clue about it, thanks.  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:40pm
www.irishrail.ie for the one of charges  etc. 

but if you bought the travel pass with taxsaver.ie and Balbriggan is covered in the annual train pass so your weekly would be as said above depending on what  tax rate you are on

Edited by Baldrick - 11 Jan 2013 at 9:42pm
AKA pedantic kunt
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
Baldy, The Eddie Hobbs of YBIGClap
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
How did you work out all those savings though is it on that site too ?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:43pm
yeah the site does it for you.  The site is fool proof 
AKA pedantic kunt
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:45pm
All fares on public transport tickets should be at least doubled, free travel for elderly should be discarded, a proper license and tax system should be introduced for the winged rats (cyclists).
The revenue earned should be used to repair the rural roads which have fallen into a sorry state over the last few years

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:47pm
jeez that's dirt cheap.

I spend €25 a week on the london underground and €65 on the overground so that's a total of €90/week. My commute is approx a 50 mile round trip which works out at €18/day or €360/month.

Someone on a previous page was giving out about there being no competition but over here there is plenty of competition the only problem is te routes are carved up between the operators therefore there is no competition on many of the routes.

Overall I've found prices to have come down significantly in Ireland. What stands out though to the contrary is meals in bars and the price of alcohol. jeez I felt disgusted when I saw what I paid for a round in that snotty Bruxelles last year.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic