You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Superdave 84 and trains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 12:05pm
How long did you go for shedite and how long would you recommend?

This is one trip that's always been on my bucket list.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 12:47pm
Well, the prices on rzd.ru are official prices, the same as in the station.

That said, you'll not be able to book any ticket from Russia to Mongolia or China online. That can only be done there. You can buy tickets to Ulan Ude online alright which is the last main place before Mongolia.

There's also a daily train from there to Mongolia as well as the weekly train from Moscow to Beijing. Ulaan Bataar to Beijing is where there can be issues getting tickets but check out seat 61 on that.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:24pm
We did about a month in total (summer in college), roughly... 4 nights Talinn, 1 Helsinki, 3 Petersburg, 4 Moscow, 1 Irkutsk, 3 Olkhon Island, 2 Ulan Bataar, 4 on a Mongolian roadtrip, 5 Beijing, and about another 5/6 on overnight trains.

The tracks change in Mongolia (Russians changed their track width to avoid invasion) so ya have to change at the border (although I think some trains have adjustable width now). 

I absolutely loved the destinations (cities have interesting history, and savage ladies, and the countryside is very relaxing), but the train travel got a bit boring eventually. You're in these 4 person cabins, so you're stuck talking to them for the entire thing, we got lucky on 1/4 trips where there were English-speaking Russians to have a bit of fun with. Other than that it was just drinks, poker, books etc.

Would definitely recommend it tho, one of my fondest travelling memories
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:42pm
Sound. The longest I could do is 3 weeks. So would go london > moscow > lake baikal > Ulan Bataar > Beijing.

it'll be 2017 at the earliest though before I get a chance to go on this trip.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:48pm
How much, roughly, did it cost? Always fancied this myself.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This is what I have looked at so far PM

Flight from London to St Petersburg £160
Train from St Petersburg to Moscow 20
Train to Beijing 300 
Beijing to Seoul 170
Seoul to London 440

So about £1100 before accommodation in the cities which I think is okay.

We want to see St Petersburg and Moscow before we get on the train.
Ideally want to stop in Mongolia but with the traintimes would have to stay 4 nights in Ulan Bator.

So we are thinking train all the way, few nights in Beijing and then rock over to Seoul for a long weekend.

We are planning on taking 2 weeks 2 days off..... cant get any longer off. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 2:55pm
Cheers ZK, be interested to see how this works out. Think it would be a great romantic trip!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

We booked it as we went, just rocked up at the train station a day or two before we wanted to move on and booked it there. Had a few language issues but usually had some friendly local who would do the translation. Definitely worked out cheaper.

Definitely go the Mongolia route, Mongolia is well worth a look, really different place. If ya can do 7/8 days there it's class.

Beijing then is another cool city. Plenty to see and do, and some fantastic food.

We have 2 choices Shedite

Either stop off in Mongolia for 4 days or go to South Korea for 3 days at the end

Would you recommend Ulan Bator /Mongolia? I guess this breaks up the train journey but I didnt think there was a lot to do there....  

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Definitely go the Mongolia route, Mongolia is well worth a look, really different place. If ya can do 7/8 days there it's class.
We have 2 choices Shedite

Either stop off in Mongolia for 4 days or go to South Korea for 3 days at the end

Would you recommend Ulan Bator /Mongolia? I guess this breaks up the train journey but I didnt think there was a lot to do there....  
TBH for Mongolia, you either see the city in 2 days, or stay for a week and do a jeep adventure. The jeep trip needs about 4/5 days really. It's a very bizarre spot, even moreso when you get out of the city. Really one of those rvery very uniquie spots, stay in huts (called Ger's) with locals, they cook ya dinner, drive around in dodgy ex-Soviet 4x4's, plenty to see/do about the Gengis Khan era.
https://www.discovermongolia.mn

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah it's not cheap, as "backpacking" go. The 
accommodation and living in the cities in Russia is close to Dublin prices. Mongolia is sensationally cheap, Beijing can be mixed (cheap street food or very expensive restaurants). The days on the trains are very cheap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 4:17pm
I'd warn you against spending that long on a train (Moscow to Ulaan Bataar) without having taken any other night trains first. It's a long slog, and plenty of Russia isn't that scenic. I'd definitely break it up a bit, although Shedite can probably advise better on this. In particular, if you definitely aren't planning on taking the train to Russia (two nights, under £250, in all likelihood), a trip non-stop like Moscow to Mongolia is going to drag.

It's about £170 for the Paris to Moscow train, so add on the £40 for the Eurostar (cheapest advance ticket) and £15 for the Belarus transit visa, and it's about £225. It is marginally more than the flight (and it doesn't take you to St Petersburg) but I think it's a cop out to fly to Russia to save two days if you plan on spending the next ten days on the rails anyway. If nothing else, it gets you used to the routine of spending a long time on a train and used to sleeping on a train, without it being too long, like the five night trip to Mongolia.

Also, in terms of stopping over on Moscow to Ulaan Bataar, chances are it will work out marginally cheaper. As it is, the weekly Moscow to Beijing train is always sold out and the only place to buy tickets is from travel agents, who get access to tickets before the general public, buy them all up, and sell them on at a mark up (gotta love Russia, eh?). However, Moscow to Irkutsk / Ulan Ude is a different matter, with plenty of tickets available and plenty of trains. The same is true of the daily Irkutsk to Ulaan Bataar train, as far as I am aware, although these tickets can only be bought in Russia. Plus, you get to see Lake Baikal if you stop in Irkutsk or Ulan Ude.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'd warn you against spending that long on a train (Moscow to Ulaan Bataar) without having taken any other night trains first. It's a long slog, and plenty of Russia isn't that scenic. I'd definitely break it up a bit, although Shedite can probably advise better on this. In particular, if you definitely aren't planning on taking the train to Russia (two nights, under £250, in all likelihood), a trip non-stop like Moscow to Mongolia is going to drag.

It's about £170 for the Paris to Moscow train, so add on the £40 for the Eurostar (cheapest advance ticket) and £15 for the Belarus transit visa, and it's about £225. It is marginally more than the flight (and it doesn't take you to St Petersburg) but I think it's a cop out to fly to Russia to save two days if you plan on spending the next ten days on the rails anyway. If nothing else, it gets you used to the routine of spending a long time on a train and used to sleeping on a train, without it being too long, like the five night trip to Mongolia.

Also, in terms of stopping over on Moscow to Ulaan Bataar, chances are it will work out marginally cheaper. As it is, the weekly Moscow to Beijing train is always sold out and the only place to buy tickets is from travel agents, who get access to tickets before the general public, buy them all up, and sell them on at a mark up (gotta love Russia, eh?). However, Moscow to Irkutsk / Ulan Ude is a different matter, with plenty of tickets available and plenty of trains. The same is true of the daily Irkutsk to Ulaan Bataar train, as far as I am aware, although these tickets can only be bought in Russia. Plus, you get to see Lake Baikal if you stop in Irkutsk or Ulan Ude.

Thanks SD,

Okay from what I'm hearing getting the train from Moscow to Beijing is just crazy. Too long, too boring and may end up throwing myself off the train. I think Korea will have to wait.

I'm thinking

Fly to St Petersburg (cop out but saving time) - 2 nights  Fri/Sat
Moscow 2 nights Sun/Mon
Train to UB 5 nights  Tue/Sun   -  Trans-Mongolian express
Ulan Bator  4 nights  - break up the train, sleep in a proper bed, woo local women etc
UB to Beijing 2 nights on Train #24 every Thursday
Beijiing 

Going with a mate the last week in Feb so we need to get this booked asap and then chase down visa's/

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 5:01pm
Sounds like a good plan. Although I would throw in a stop in Irkutsk and a side trip to Lake Baikal, but that might just be a personal thing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Sounds like a good plan. Although I would throw in a stop in Irkutsk and a side trip to Lake Baikal, but that might just be a personal thing.

I hear ya, if time wasnt an issue I'd take her handy and stop off a lot more.... I only asked my boss for 2 weeks off so now I have two surprise him with 2 weeks and 2 days! 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm
Yeah, I've looked at your timetable, and it's pretty tricky to work in time in Irkutsk, especially with having to make the Mongolia to Beijing train.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
Hummm was very close to going to take the trans Sib when i was travelling as i had to make my mind up when i was in Beijing  as visas were needed . Now the fool which i am i decided the overland land route through China , Pakistan , Afganistan  Iran and Iraq was the way young Murphy would do it  . Now long story but was only undone by the Iranians in Pakistan as they told me to come back in 3 months time before my transit visa would be looked at again . 
Never much liked them ever since , but as they say as one door closes another opens and i ended up in Italy that year , hey it was  1990 .............
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummm was very close to going to take the trans Sib when i was travelling as i had to make my mind up when i was in Beijing  as visas were needed . Now the fool which i am i decided the overland land route through China , Pakistan , Afganistan  Iran and Iraq was the way young Murphy would do it  . Now long story but was only undone by the Iranians in Pakistan as they told me to come back in 3 months time before my transit visa would be looked at again . 
Never much liked them ever since , but as they say as one door closes another opens and i ended up in Italy that year , hey it was  1990 .............

Hahaha good story CM!!  

We have just looked at the tempeartures in Russia, Mongolia etc.....  its gonna be f.airying cold!!!! plenty of Vodka required!!

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 10:45am

Hahaha good story CM!!  

We have just looked at the tempeartures in Russia, Mongolia etc.....  its gonna be f.airying cold!!!! plenty of Vodka required!!
Funny maybe but all very true , backpackers never die we just get old but the story is always the same  Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 11:27am

Hahaha good story CM!!  

Funny maybe but all very true , backpackers never die we just get old but the story is always the same  Big smile

Sorry I wasn't doubting your story CM....  Young Murphy sounds like a loose cannon (but in a good way!) 
Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic