You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:06pm
No, that's true and I think the game is none the better for it. It would certainly be in the top 100 reasons of why I lost interest in the game at franchise level.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:12pm
You can't get away with being an alcoholic or a regular heavy drinker in today's game because of the hugely increased physical demands

Had the players who were renowned for heavy drinking 30 years ago been around today they simply wouldn't have made it at the top level

The market English teams were selecting players from 30 years ago was much smaller, now it's global

Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Anyone listen to Robbie Keane with Jimmy Bullard. Nothing new in it but few laughs. I want not to like Bullard but hes not a bad lad.
I couldn’t think of anything worse than listening to that unfunny **** & the ego maniac from Tallaght 

Haha LOL your exaggerating there now come on....
2 arseholes  Thumbs UpThumbs Up
One of the few great things about modern footballers being raised by corporate sponsors is that there will never be another Jimmy Bullard.

Was thinking this the other day when i read somewhere someone saying that Phil Foden looks a great talent but the media might ruin him and he could go the same way as Gascoigne. 

I can't really see that happening in this day and age. I would imagine the amount of footballers who are alcoholic is miniscule compared to 20 or 30 years ago. I can't imagine Aguero, Sterling and Gundogan in a Tuesday club. 

Couldn't really see Foden breaking into a zoo and stealing an ostrich to bring in to City training with Pep. 

Its a very different game now, not many characters left in it is something you hear a lot now. Its true, but they aren't really allowed to be characters anymore such are the times we are living in. Do anythign slightly controversial on the pitch now and you'd be torn to shreds on social media. 
Some **** would have their phone out videoing you at the first sign of mischief off the pitch also

Not to take the thread off topic of course. 

Seen a few pundit wax lyrical about James Maddison post match interviews, like hes breaking the mould. I seen a couple from him and it just sounded like the same robotic drivel they all come out with. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm

No, that's true and I think the game is none the better for it. It would certainly be in the top 100 reasons of why I lost interest in the game at franchise level.

The key takeaway from the Maradona documentary by Kapadia was that superstar sportspeople need protection from the public. Poor aul Diego had no one looking after him and people just pulled him apart. 
El Puto Amo
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:18pm
Players generally didn't say much of note 30 years ago 

A lot of younger English players today actually strike me as much more rounded and thoughtful human beings than their counterparts in previous decades

Rashford, Alexander-Arnold, Sterling etc.

Jack Grealish may not be an intellectual but seems like a good lad
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The key takeaway from the Maradona documentary by Kapadia was that superstar sportspeople need protection from the public. Poor aul Diego had no one looking after him and people just pulled him apart. 
Mike Tyson was destroyed in a somewhat similar manner
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

You can't get away with being an alcoholic or a regular heavy drinker in today's game because of the hugely increased physical demands

Had the players who were renowned for heavy drinking 30 years ago been around today they simply wouldn't have made it at the top level

The market English teams were selecting players from 30 years ago was much smaller, now it's global

Not sure about that. If they were around today they wouldn’t have the culture of going out two or three nights a week drinking in the first place to slip into alcoholism.
So you’d expect the likes of McGrath and Adams to be even better with the modern sciences and training methods 
There isn’t a centre half in the premier league at the minute, bar Van Dijk maybe, with anywhere near the talent of McGrath
You’d imagine he wouldn’t have had the injury problems if he was around today either and would be sharper and fitter 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 19 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Mike Tyson was destroyed in a somewhat similar manner

Getting the thread a bit closer to being back on track - Did you watch the Mike Tyson documentary produced by Spike Lee? It was interesting. I was surprised by Tysons storytelling ability 
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:46pm

Not sure about that. If they were around today they wouldn’t have the culture of going out two or three nights a week drinking in the first place to slip into alcoholism.
So you’d expect the likes of McGrath and Adams to be even better with the modern sciences and training methods 
There isn’t a centre half in the premier league at the minute, bar Van Dijk maybe, with anywhere near the talent of McGrath
You’d imagine he wouldn’t have had the injury problems if he was around today either and would be sharper and fitter 
I agree with that.

I disagree about players having nothing to say years ago, I think it was more they didn't have to! There are plenty of players I have strong admiration from all periods of the game, but have little or no feeling for most involved in now. Players used to stir up emotions, but they are all very beige now, with a sprinkling of exceptions like Rashford or Sterling. What emotions do the likes of Harry Kane inspire? 
I take the point about Maradona and it is a fair one, but it feels like the baby went out with the bathwater.

I can't imagine there will be much nostalgia about this period in football history, even from those who are growing up with it. I can't imagine documentaries in the style of 'Howard's Way' or podcasts like ' Quickly Kevin'. The fun has been totally removed from it. It used to be escapism, but outside of going to games, it doesn't feel like that anymore. 

I read a great quote in a book about football last year and it was along the lines of this: football used to be an escape from grim economic reality and now it is grim economic reality. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:56pm
Last few Hector and Tommy podcast haven't been great. Hopefully they pick it up again.

Has anyone become a pateron subscriber for Quickly Kevin?

Edited by seanyshuffler - 19 Feb 2021 at 2:57pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Last few Hector and Tommy podcast haven't been great. Hopefully they pick it up again.

Yeah, I am. A few extra shows. If you enjoy the Steve Bruce episodes it's worth it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:03pm

Yeah, I am. A few extra shows. If you enjoy the Steve Bruce episodes it's worth it.
Enjoyed those episodes a lot so might get it for that.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:14pm

A lot of younger English players today actually strike me as much more rounded and thoughtful human beings than their counterparts in previous decades

Yeah. Apart from the breaking Covid restrictions, several drink driving incidents and hit and run, he's a great fella.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:15pm
Not a patreon subscriber but have listened to a good few of them. They’re good, I think the start and end of each podcast were they do listeners emails and talk about other things isn’t great.
Their quizzes are sh*t too IMO

Must listen to the Steve Bruce one 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Yeah. Apart from the breaking Covid restrictions, several drink driving incidents and hit and run, he's a great fella.
Not everybody can be perfect

But sure wouldn't that make him a "character"?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:26pm

Not a patreon subscriber but have listened to a good few of them. They’re good, I think the start and end of each podcast were they do listeners emails and talk about other things isn’t great.
Their quizzes are sh*t too IMO

Must listen to the Steve Bruce one 
There are three and they just go through the trio of crime novels he wrote. Subscribers get a chapter by chapter breakdown of these. The quizzes are definitely the worst, even if I enjoy the questions themselves, but the emails are probably my favourite part of the show.

The ridiculous calendar they sent me did make me laugh. Particularly David May. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm
I do enjoy the emails too. Particularly any which have to do with Richard Keys.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:29pm

I do enjoy the emails too. Particularly any which have to do with Richard Keys.
That one about him in Marks & Spencer cracked me up. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
  Share Topic