You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 75>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Slaying the Badger, about the LeMond-Hinault Tour de France in I think 1987.
1986, Stephen Roche won it and everything else in 1987
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm
I enjoyed Matt Walker's book a bit more than you, SD, but I have read a lot worse books by people going to football matches recently! At least he had some sort of plan!LOL
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:06am

Read a few books lately:

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson (it's from the 1980s): about a mountain climber who fell and broke his ankle high up in the Andes and had to crawl home, after basically being left for dead. It has a bit of technical climbing language in places but it's still understandable (and you can google a term if you want to). Even though you know how it ends, it's still an absolutely gripping read (pun intended). The way he captures the mental ups and downs of the entire journey is superb, going from hopelessness to elation to despair and back up again. I'd give it 5/5.

Thanks for reminding me about this, that book was absolutely amazing. Read it a few years ago and even though you know how it ends I couldn't put it down.
If you liked that SD you might like https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29925608-alone 
It is about a surfer that falls off a boat into the ocean and survives over 24h in the water. It's not as well written as Simpson's book and is quite boring in some parts at the beginning but the story of what actually happened is amazing.

Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Read a few books lately:

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson (it's from the 1980s): about a mountain climber who fell and broke his ankle high up in the Andes and had to crawl home, after basically being left for dead. It has a bit of technical climbing language in places but it's still understandable (and you can google a term if you want to). Even though you know how it ends, it's still an absolutely gripping read (pun intended). The way he captures the mental ups and downs of the entire journey is superb, going from hopelessness to elation to despair and back up again. I'd give it 5/5.

Thanks for reminding me about this, that book was absolutely amazing. Read it a few years ago and even though you know how it ends I couldn't put it down.
If you liked that SD you might like https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29925608-alone 
It is about a surfer that falls off a boat into the ocean and survives over 24h in the water. It's not as well written as Simpson's book and is quite boring in some parts at the beginning but the story of what actually happened is amazing.

He done a documentary on an il fated German expedition in the 30s - it’s very good , probably still on you tube - it’s on page one of the documentary thread 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:22am

Read a few books lately:
"Europe United" by Matt Walker: a lad who went to a top flight game in every UEFA member state over one season. Tbh, I didn't love it. It was more a continual stream of loosely-linked anecdotes and there's a lot of "then I had a kebab then I went to the pub then I met a fan then we watched the match then I went to Ljubljana". It's an interesting idea but the book itself wasn't brilliant. I actually met him in Georgia the last time we were there (he was going from Azerbaijan to Armenia at the time). I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it but it could have been so much better. It gets a 2.5/5 from me.

"The Secret Barrister" by anonymous: about the criminal legal aid system in England and Wales. It's a very good read and readable and understandable by lawyers and non-lawyers alike, demonstrating the serious flaws with the criminal justice system there, basically entirely caused by a continued underfunding of the system (and I don't mean more money for lawyers), in particular with court closures, overworked prosecution staff and overworked police officers, not to mention overworked defence lawyers. It's an excellent read and a lot of the same stuff applies here. It can be a bit repetitive and, at times, it comes across as a plea for nothing more than more money (which it really isn't) but it does make its point well enough all the same. It gets 4/5.

"Around the World in 80 Trains" by Monesha Rajesh: as the cover says, it's an account of travelling around the world by train. It is how travel books should be written, certainly compared to Matt Walker's book above. It was an escape during the worst of the Covid restrictions and her writing is good enough to take you there - up the Tibet railway to Lhasa, across the US with Amtrak, through Europe at speed - she captures it all very well. It's one of the most enjoyable travel books I've read. It gets a 4.5/5.

"Trans-Siberian Adventures" by Matthew Woodward: again, an account of travelling across the Trans-Siberian by train. This is less a travel book and, in some ways, more of an account of the actual train ride, and as such is much more useful for anyone planning to do the same than Rajesh's book. It is none the worse for it though, even if I doubt the value in travelling all the way from Moscow to Beijing directly, without stopping in Russia or, even more unforgivably, Mongolia. It's entertaining all the same and captures the life on board a single long-distance train really well (at least in my own, limited, experience of long-distance train travel). It gets a 4/5.

I've never read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby and I'm half way through it now, then I have The Blind Side by Michael Lewis to follow, then Slaying the Badger, about the LeMond-Hinault Tour de France in I think 1987.

Have you read Three Weeks, Eight Seconds: The Epic Tour de France of 1989 by Nigel Tassell. Great read about the battle between Lemond and Fignon that culminated with a final stage Time Trial from Versailles to the Champs Elysees and Lemond winning the Tour by 8 seconds 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 06 Aug 2020 at 11:24am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:33am
Tassell's 'The Bottom Corner' about non-league football in England was excellent. I intend to read some of his other work, although I might give the lycra based sh*te a miss!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Have you read Three Weeks, Eight Seconds: The Epic Tour de France of 1989 by Nigel Tassell. Great read about the battle between Lemond and Fignon that culminated with a final stage Time Trial from Versailles to the Champs Elysees and Lemond winning the Tour by 8 seconds 
Unreal 

I haven't read that book but I remember it all

What a f**king Tour  

The time trial rivalled Anfield eight weeks previously as the most sensational sporting finish of all time

Always loved LeMond as a cyclist, I think he's the last you could have any modicum of faith in that he might have been doing it (largely) clean, he was the best of his generation  and any generation, his VO2 Max was off the scale

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:30pm
Life - Keith Richards memoir
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:57pm
Finished Kevin Barry's 'Night boat to Tangier'. Enjoyable yarn about the lives and loves of 2 veteran cork drug smugglers. Reading J Wilson's 'The names heard long ago' at the moment. Loving it, though I do have a gra for football nostalgia from central/eastern europe particularly Hungary and East Germany.  Amazing the influence Hungarian thinking on football has to this day. Bielsa, Pep etc learned a lot from these guys. Would love him to do a book on football in the GDR. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Finished Kevin Barry's 'Night boat to Tangier'. Enjoyable yarn about the lives and loves of 2 veteran cork drug smugglers. Reading J Wilson's 'The names heard long ago' at the moment. Loving it, though I do have a gra for football nostalgia from central/eastern europe particularly Hungary and East Germany.  Amazing the influence Hungarian thinking on football has to this day. Bielsa, Pep etc learned a lot from these guys. Would love him to do a book on football in the GDR. 
Love Wilson but was very disappointed with that. It was a bit of an incoherent ramble at times to the point where the book seemed to have no point and the thrust of it was covered in 'The Inverted Pyramid'.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 11:15am
Finished, Running with the Firm: My Double Life as an Undercover Hooligan  by James Bannon

Book is based on  the 1995 film ID. But much better than the film.

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 12:07pm
Just finished "deacon king kong" by James McBride. 

Cracking book, set in 1969 New York. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:54am
Recovering - Richie Sadlier - 7/10

Was surprised at how much self-doubt he had as a player. He was obviously riddled with it on a personal level but usually sport is regarded as a place where athletes can express themselves. Didn't seem to be the case for him. 

Hotel K - Kathryn Bonella - 6/10

A grim collection of tales from inmates of one of Bali's most infamous jails. It's fascinating at the start but becomes less interesting as the book ends. Some of the sentences received by Westerners for even something like being caught with 2 yokes are staggering, but bribery in the courts system seems to be a huge issue.

Prisoners of Geography - Tim Marshall - 8/10

Felt he discounted ideology a bit too much but his insight into how geography plays a huge role in the relations between neighbouring countries is very interesting and relevant in the current climate.

The Lost Soul of Eamonn Magee - Paul Gibson - 9/10

One of the best books I've read. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Das Reboot (Raph Honigstein), In Sunshine or in Shadow (Donald McRae) and Divided (Tim Marshall) are next on the list.

Edited by The Huntacha - 13 Aug 2020 at 8:58am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:53am
'In Sunshine or in Shadow' is on my list. McRae is a great writer.

The Nanny State and Me- Stuart Maconie 9/10

The case for the welfare state with chats with the Manics, Nigel from HMHB, Arthur Scargill's daughter, Alan Bennett and Simon Armitage was always going to be up my street, even if he spent too much time around the BBC to realise that Corbyn was the last hope for it, regardless of his faults.

Hillbilly Elegy- J.D Vance 0/10
The worst book I have ever read. Everything that's wrong with America in a single person. No self-awareness, no empathy and thinks because he made it with hard-work everybody else can. I knew he was a Republican from seeing reviews and interviews but my interest in Appalachia and the huge impact it had made me think it was worth reading. I was wrong. It is worrying that it was so popular, not just because of the message but also because it was so badly written.

Three Men in a Boat- 7/10

Well-known humourous tale of three posh idiots on a boating holiday on the Thames. One of the few redeeming qualities of the English upper classes is their ability to laugh at themselves. 

Things Can Only Get Worse- John O'Farrell 5/10
The sequel to 'Things Can Only get Better', which is about the joy of being a hard-working Labour activist who hadn't seen a victory until '97 tries to come to terms with the faults of New Labour. I suppose I agreed with him a lot more in the first book so, as amusing as he can be, it is difficult to enjoy a book written by someone you so often disagree with. I might have enjoyed it more if he was honest enough to say what is indisputable fact: Tony Blair is a mass murdering old ****.

Another Bloody Saturday- Mat Guy 3/10
One of those books that appears for under a quid on Kindle and you think will be an easy distraction, but is really just a series of blog posts from a man who is using football to fill the hole of his dad's suicide. It is hard not to like him and feel for him and his childish enthusiasm for the game is heart-warming, but it is pretty average.

Post Office- Bukowski 10/10
A re-read of an old favourite and as is often the norm with his work, you read it in one sitting. The man was a genius, most likely a bit of a ****, but a genius. There haven't been that many writers that pass their emotions on to the reader as easily as he does.

Ham on Rye- Bukowski 10/10
See above, but funnier. Henry Chinaski is the anti-hero of the American Dream. 

Superior: The Return of Race Science 10/10
I downloaded this a while back when she was offering it for free on Kindle following George Floyd's death and finally got around to it. I think it is one of the most important books I have read and it should be thought in schools. It is crazy that people still think race has a basis in science in 2020; this debunks that in easy to understand language. Even more importantly it explains why people still believe in race as a scientific construct when it goes against science. That scientists themselves can hold prejudices that go against facts they themselves have proved. Well worth reading.

The Billionaires Club- James Montague 9/10
One of the best football books I have read. A look at who football's billionaire owners are and what they want from the game. He has a wonderful gonzo style that makes me think he could write about anything, but his love of the game and for travel means he is well suited to writing about the global game. He is a sort of David Conn you would like to go on the beer with. His first two books, 31-0 and 'When Friday Comes' were both very good too and I'm very much looking forward to reading the recently released '1312' about the ultras movement. 

52 Times Britain Was  a Bellend- 4/10
A sort of 'orrible histories for grown ups put together by a comedian, of sorts. He means well and has taken lots of abuse for it, but he isn't really that funny, certainly not in written form. A handy one to have for the sh*tter or to open when you are waiting for something, someone or when voiding your bowels.

Currently reading 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'. There's a few classics I have never read that I feel I should. Reading it with modern eyes is quite difficult due to the appalling racism. 'Dracula' is up next and then Margo Jefferson's 'Negroland'.
As you can tell, I have f**k all work to do!

ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'In Sunshine or in Shadow' is on my list. McRae is a great writer.

The Nanny State and Me- Stuart Maconie 9/10

The case for the welfare state with chats with the Manics, Nigel from HMHB, Arthur Scargill's daughter, Alan Bennett and Simon Armitage was always going to be up my street, even if he spent too much time around the BBC to realise that Corbyn was the last hope for it, regardless of his faults.

Hillbilly Elegy- J.D Vance 0/10
The worst book I have ever read. Everything that's wrong with America in a single person. No self-awareness, no empathy and thinks because he made it with hard-work everybody else can. I knew he was a Republican from seeing reviews and interviews but my interest in Appalachia and the huge impact it had made me think it was worth reading. I was wrong. It is worrying that it was so popular, not just because of the message but also because it was so badly written.

Three Men in a Boat- 7/10

Well-known humourous tale of three posh idiots on a boating holiday on the Thames. One of the few redeeming qualities of the English upper classes is their ability to laugh at themselves. 

Things Can Only Get Worse- John O'Farrell 5/10
The sequel to 'Things Can Only get Better', which is about the joy of being a hard-working Labour activist who hadn't seen a victory until '97 tries to come to terms with the faults of New Labour. I suppose I agreed with him a lot more in the first book so, as amusing as he can be, it is difficult to enjoy a book written by someone you so often disagree with. I might have enjoyed it more if he was honest enough to say what is indisputable fact: Tony Blair is a mass murdering old ****.

Another Bloody Saturday- Mat Guy 3/10
One of those books that appears for under a quid on Kindle and you think will be an easy distraction, but is really just a series of blog posts from a man who is using football to fill the hole of his dad's suicide. It is hard not to like him and feel for him and his childish enthusiasm for the game is heart-warming, but it is pretty average.

Post Office- Bukowski 10/10
A re-read of an old favourite and as is often the norm with his work, you read it in one sitting. The man was a genius, most likely a bit of a ****, but a genius. There haven't been that many writers that pass their emotions on to the reader as easily as he does.

Ham on Rye- Bukowski 10/10
See above, but funnier. Henry Chinaski is the anti-hero of the American Dream. 

Superior: The Return of Race Science 10/10
I downloaded this a while back when she was offering it for free on Kindle following George Floyd's death and finally got around to it. I think it is one of the most important books I have read and it should be thought in schools. It is crazy that people still think race has a basis in science in 2020; this debunks that in easy to understand language. Even more importantly it explains why people still believe in race as a scientific construct when it goes against science. That scientists themselves can hold prejudices that go against facts they themselves have proved. Well worth reading.

The Billionaires Club- James Montague 9/10
One of the best football books I have read. A look at who football's billionaire owners are and what they want from the game. He has a wonderful gonzo style that makes me think he could write about anything, but his love of the game and for travel means he is well suited to writing about the global game. He is a sort of David Conn you would like to go on the beer with. His first two books, 31-0 and 'When Friday Comes' were both very good too and I'm very much looking forward to reading the recently released '1312' about the ultras movement. 

52 Times Britain Was  a Bellend- 4/10
A sort of 'orrible histories for grown ups put together by a comedian, of sorts. He means well and has taken lots of abuse for it, but he isn't really that funny, certainly not in written form. A handy one to have for the sh*tter or to open when you are waiting for something, someone or when voiding your bowels.

Currently reading 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'. There's a few classics I have never read that I feel I should. Reading it with modern eyes is quite difficult due to the appalling racism. 'Dracula' is up next and then Margo Jefferson's 'Negroland'.
As you can tell, I have f**k all work to do!

PM, I really think you'd like "Docherty" by the late William McIlvanney. A great novel. It's set during the early 20th Century and concerns the life and the family of a coal miner who works the Ayrshire coal fields and lives in a fictional town based on Kilmarnock. Politics and religion are big themes.

I recently read the autobiographical "The Railway Man" by Eric Lomax. 

Could you meet face to face with someone who once subjected you brutal physical and mental torture ? That's what Lomax did. He recounts his time as a POW of the Japanese during WW2 where he was savagely beaten with pickaxe handles and waterboarded for constructing a clandestine radio receiver. Fifty years later he then arranged to meet one of the men actually did this to him. A powerful, well written book and recommended.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:18am
'Docherty' is on my longlist. Unfortunately, that is a very long longlist! Things usually only get bumped up of I find them in Oxfam these days! 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'Docherty' is on my longlist. Unfortunately, that is a very long longlist! Things usually only get bumped up of I find them in Oxfam these days! 

Aye, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

The main character, Tam Docherty, is the son of Irish immigrants, rejects the Catholic Church, a socialist, always says what he's thinking and takes no nonsense off anyone. I think he'd be your kind of guy PM Wink

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 13 Aug 2020 at 11:21am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:28am
That's probably as close to a compliment as I will ever get on here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 75>
  Share Topic