You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 75>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:03am
just started wherever the green is worn by Tim pat coogan 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:20am
Half way through A Season with Verona , sensational book  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

For any Kevin Barry fans, Beatlebone is a superb read. It's a fictionalised account of John Lennons time, having suffered a bit of a mental breakdown, traveling to the island he purchased in Clew Bay for therapeutic purposes chaperoned by a chancer/fixer from Mayo. 

Those in the know will be aware that Lennon really did purchase Dorinish Island and spent time there and on Achill island in the 70's. I wasn't aware of the number of radical groups that populated the West coast in this era and the book covers some of that. 

It's brilliantly written and occasionally funny. 
I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as 'City of Bohane'! It felt like he had  a severe case of writer's block and this was the best he could come up with. It is funny at times and he really understands the Irish psyche, I can also appreciate the idea of taking the piss out of the mythical Lennon and humanising him, but I don't think it really worked. It felt like a short-story and could have been done in twenty pages.

There's a review of it on 'Goodreads' that says: "I have no idea what just happened.

I just read an entire book, and all I can get out of it is that John Lennon was talking to a seal at some point."

Which isn't far off a very fair assessment, although I feel I took more enjoyment from the humour and language than they did.

I think if he wanted to write a book on it  he would have been better off talking about his personal journey surrounding the idea and using the Lennon idea as an amusing aside at interludes. It might have held together. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 1:29pm

I can see why Beatlebone wouldn’t be to everyone’s tastes alright.
It was disjointed but I liked its quirkiness. Barry is clearly very interested in mysticism and he can put those sixth sense feelings into words really well. The interactions between John L and Cornelius were amusing and added levity to some darker subject matter. It showed Barry’s range as it was quite different to his other work. 

His podcast with Blindboy is worth a listen also.

El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:54pm
I must listen to that. I really like Barry, his humour is great and I didn’t have an issue with the quirkiness of it; it just felt like a good short story turned into a book. 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:31am
Just finished Star Wars:Master and Apprentice by Claudia Grey (Set 7 years before The Phantom Menace) and Voices by Arnaldur Indriðason (3rd book in his crime series set in Iceland). 
Have only really got back into reading since I left school except for sports autobiographies which i cant stomach anymore, just seems like everyone works with everyone in the media and everyone is trying not to insult anyone.
Trying to read a lot more rather than being on the phone before bed so just started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, as its actually hard to get book recommendations online or in real life. 
Anyone have any recommendations of authors or even just genres as since last year I've been pretty much been going between Star Wars EU novels and Arnaldur Indriðason's murder series. Wouldn't mind changing up a bit
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:08am
I find using Goodreads great for recommendations and organising what I want to read. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I find using Goodreads great for recommendations and organising what I want to read. 

Thanks, have come across the website but not really looked into it in much detail. I probably need to nail down what sort of books I'd like to read. Thanks again will look into the website proper
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:51am

Ok lads, I just got a Kindle and I'm heading on holidays soon. What will I download? 

I'm not into sports autobiographies unless we are talking about the sordid account of a wayward genius who led a lifestyle that would make Rick James blush. 

I downloaded Akala's "Natives" on PM's recommendation. I tend to lean towards Fiction, Crime Fiction, Historical and occasional Thrillers (John Le Carres writing is enjoyable). 

El Puto Amo
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:06pm

Ok lads, I just got a Kindle and I'm heading on holidays soon. What will I download? 

I'm not into sports autobiographies unless we are talking about the sordid account of a wayward genius who led a lifestyle that would make Rick James blush. 

I downloaded Akala's "Natives" on PM's recommendation. I tend to lean towards Fiction, Crime Fiction, Historical and occasional Thrillers (John Le Carres writing is enjoyable). 

historical - Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey-Maturin series)  
crime fiction - Georges Simenon (you cannot beat Maigret)

If Jan Morris' "Pax Britannica" trilogy is available for download, get it. A fantastic examination of the British Empire in which Morris takes the unusual but incredibly effective decision to present as a "tableaux" from the crowning of Victoria to the funeral of Churchill. 

Oh and Spike Milligan's war memoirs are magnificent, trust me, you will laugh hard !
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:16pm

Thanks ET, some good suggestions there. 
El Puto Amo
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:27pm

Henning Mankell's Wallander books  are quite good.  

Edited by Denis Irwin - 23 May 2019 at 12:28pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:29pm

Torrents are great for the kindle.
Try Arnaldur Indriðason Reykjavik Murder series, not terribly long books so they are an easy read. Tainted blood/Jars is the first in the series
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:56pm
if you are into crime fiction then read 
the ian rankin rebus books 
the james lee burke robichaux books 
the phillip kerr bernard gunther books 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:26pm

Robin Friday biography ticks all the boxs.

Edited by rossieman - 23 May 2019 at 1:28pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Henning Mankell's Wallander books  are quite good.  

I'll second that. Some of his other stuff is a bit hit and miss but Wallander is good. There is an order to them, so start with the first one. It's not like, say, Harry Potter, where there is very much a continuing order, but there is an order nonetheless, and common threads through the books that makes more sense if you read them first to last.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:48pm

What is your holiday destination /preferred destination?
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:12am
Finished Tim Parks , A Season with Verona . Definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read . Can see why people have read it multiple times. Moving on to 21 rules for the 21st Century.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 75>
  Share Topic