You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 75>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Warsaw 1944 - Hitler, Himmler and the crushing of a city.
Written by Alexandra Richie

About a third of the way through it. Harrowing stuff but a very interesting read.

Strangely the uprising has similarities with our own rising in that a poorly trained rag tag bunch, low on arms but high on morale went up against a professional army hardened by years of war - with neither rising ever having any hope of success. The major difference being the scale of death and destruction meted out to Warsaw and its residents.

Highly recommended if you're into second world war history.

beat you to it CY2K Smile

Warsaw 1944 - Alexandra Richie - very good so far ( references nothwithstanding)

It a great book but the lack of back up to the references was really annoying - they referenced some website - I tried it but couldn't get the references

I think it was your post on here which alerted me to it. Bought the book at the time but only got around to start reading it at the weekend Big smile

Since yesterday I've read the chapter about the Wola massacre. The book is becoming very difficult to read. No word of a lie I actually felt physically sick on the bus reading this latest section.

Oskar Dirlewanger was a truly evil man. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:23pm

Since yesterday I've read the chapter about the Wola massacre. The book is becoming very difficult to read. No word of a lie I actually felt physically sick on the bus reading this latest section.

Yeah not many laughs, the Poles were truly fuked

Do you not find the lack of end notes really annoying never came across it before ? would usually flick bck and forth reading a book checking the references 

Headed to Chapters next Friday to stock up

Edited by Newryrep - 03 Oct 2018 at 8:32pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 9:43pm

Yeah not many laughs, the Poles were truly fuked

Do you not find the lack of end notes really annoying never came across it before ? would usually flick bck and forth reading a book checking the references 

Headed to Chapters next Friday to stock up

Not really tbh. I was getting through this book at a rate of knots until today. The utter savagery and the detail in which it is described is now making reading very difficult. Having said that I still want to turn the page. 

What probably adds to the difficulty in reading it is that my own fiancé is Polish. I've listened to herself, her parents and grandmother in particular who survived the war tell me numerous stories of atrocities committed against the family. They lost many members to the different sides in the conflict and to this day it still affects them.

This book makes me really glad we have the European Union. It is without doubt the single greatest achievement we Europeans have managed. Despite the Brits, long may it last.

Edited by colemanY2K - 03 Oct 2018 at 9:46pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 5:27pm
@newryrep the reference website appears to be working now. You have to download a ~60 page document which contains all the references. I read on an Amazon review that said the authors father in law survived the uprising and went on to become Poland's foreign minister when democracy was restored in 89. A lot of the material for the book come from his archives.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 5:39pm

@newryrep the reference website appears to be working now. You have to download a ~60 page document which contains all the references. I read on an Amazon review that said the authors father in law survived the uprising and went on to become Poland's foreign minister when democracy was restored in 89. A lot of the material for the book come from his archives.
Thumbs Up
Thumbs Up Will check it out why didn’t they just print the bloody thing 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 3:55pm
Derf Backderf- My Friend Dahmer

I've never really got into graphic novels, they are usually not about things I have an interest in, but the subject here, growing up as a school friend of arguably America's most notorious serial killer, is fascinating. I enjoy his artwork too.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I've never really got into graphic novels, they are usually not about things I have an interest in, but the subject here, growing up as a school friend of arguably America's most notorious serial killer, is fascinating. I enjoy his artwork too.

Yeah, I'm sure you do
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 4:38pm
Dracula-Bram Stoker 

Absolute classic and favorite of mine I try to read it every October
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you do
It is comic book drawing, not the ceiling on the Sistine Chapel. You will either like it or you won't.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you do

It is comic book drawing, not the ceiling on the Sistine Chapel. You will either like it or you won't.

It's not the artwork I'm laughing at - think about it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 4:59pm
I haven't got a notion, sorry. I'm not overly bothered either.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm
vonnegut - slaughterhouse 5
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 5:04pm
the assassination of Reinhard heydrich -Callum Mac Donald 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:39am
Starting Angels with Dirty Faces, it's been recommended on here a few times so interested to see what it's like.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:56am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Starting Angels with Dirty Faces, it's been recommended on here a few times so interested to see what it's like.

Clap

Brilliant book
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Clap

Brilliant book

yea, top read. jonathan wilson really did his homework on it. enjoy!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Clap

Brilliant book

I think he's a fantastic writer, I've read both Angels and Inverting the pyramid (Behind the curtain is awaiting me ) both fantastic, his new one about Barcelona is another my list
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:10am

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Clap

Brilliant book

I think he's a fantastic writer, I've read both Angels and Inverting the pyramid (Behind the curtain is awaiting me ) both fantastic, his new one about Barcelona is another my list

Angels with Dirty Faces one of the best footballing books ive read in a long time 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 75>
  Share Topic