You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 8:41pm
The Yank: My Life as a Former US Marine in the IRA

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 10:25pm
@ Green Cockade

You read the book about Robert Nairac by Alistair Kerr or the book about the Orange Order by Ruth Dudley Edwards? 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 3:54am
Neither, though I know a fair bit about Nairac. RDE is mostly awful.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 7:48am
Why would anyone read anything by RDE Confused
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 11:30am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why would anyone read anything by RDE Confused
Yeah, the subject matter of both books interests me but I don't want them to be biased towards their subjects, and RDE sounds like an awful headbanger alright.

Finished the sample of Lethal Allies on Amazon and will probably get that. Free with a Kindle Unlimited trial but I bet if I cancel before the 30 days is up there'll be some complication and they'll continue to charge my card so I'll probably just pony up the 8 euros instead.

1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Not a bad book. He loves himself though. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Didn't across like that to me. Excellent book though.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Never got that impression. Agree with a lot of the points he made on the GFA. It was also an eye-opener into the inner-workings, organisation and capabilities of the IRA.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 2:55pm
Reading the relentlessly grim Lethal Allies ATM. 

Reading about how this chap, probably the biggest mass murderer during the troubles, was basically given free rein to lead a death squad murdering Catholic civilians to strike fear into the hearts of the Catholic community, working in tandem with serving RUC and UDR reservists.

Repeatedly caught with his hand in the cookie jar only to suspiciously be let go. (His fingerprints were on the silencer of a gun used in the Miami Showband Massacre; identified by the wife of another victim in an identity parade etc)

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 09 Jan 2023 at 2:57pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 4:10pm
He was in the UDR himself as well as being a mid-Ulster UVF leader. Robin Jackson, aka “The Jackal.”
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 12:06pm
The Rodfather. Roddy Collins book, near the end of it now but i thought it was great read. He really didn't like Delaney LOL.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

The Rodfather. Roddy Collins book, near the end of it now but i thought it was great read. He really didn't like Delaney LOL.
A few of us mentioned it on the umbro for Ireland thread. 
Very enjoyable read 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

A few of us mentioned it on the umbro for Ireland thread. 
Very enjoyable read 

The scrap with Richie Foran LOL
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 10:42pm

On “The Accomplice” latest in the Eddie Flynn series from Irish writer Steve Cananagh. Legal Thrillers with an Irish - American protagonist. Well written with great twists. Big fan of the series.
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 2:22pm
I’ve only read one of Cavanagh’s books ( “Twisted”) but it was a clever and enjoyable piece of work. Interesting character, he was a very good lawyer before he became a full time writer and worked as a bouncer once as well.. His real name is Stephen Mearns, Cavanagh was his mother’s maiden name.
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 5:41pm

Yeah she encouraged his writing. Met him at the Dublin Crime writers festival last year in Dun Laoghaire. Sound lad. 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
JK10 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:04am
Fully agree, a really good read - lots of good yarns - would highly recommend itThumbs Up
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 10:21am
I'm currently reading this its quality.

Lee Brilleaux: Rock'n'Roll Gentleman

Lee Brilleaux, the uniquely charismatic star of proto-punk R&B reprobates Dr Feelgood, was one of rock'n'roll's greatest frontmen. But he was also one of its greatest gentlemen - a class act with heart, fire, wanderlust and a wild streak. Exploding out of Canvey Island in the early 1970s - an age of glam rock, post-hippy folk and pop androgyny - the Feelgoods, with Lee Brilleaux and Wilko Johnson at the helm, charged into London, grabbed the pub rock scene by the throat and sparked a revolutionary new era, proving that you didn't have to be middle class, wearing the 'right clothes' or living in the 'right place' to succeed.
Lee Brilleaux: Rock'n'Roll Gentleman, while a totally different work, is a companion of sorts to the hugely popular Wilko Johnson book: Looking Back At Me (also co-authored by Howe). It is the first comprehensive appreciation of Lee Brilleaux and, with its numerous exclusive interviews and previously unseen images, is a book no Dr Feelgood fan would wish to be without.

Edited by Double Maxim - 14 Mar 2023 at 10:22am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475>
  Share Topic