You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 75>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Claptons Autobio Clap
Racist **** and overrated musician. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Claptons Autobio Clap

Ok.....
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:34pm

Claptons Autobio Clap

Ok.....
Not you, I meant Clapton. I have no idea of your musical capabilities.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm
Have just started "The Turning Season" which is a look back at the clubs who were in the last season of the old east German League when the wall came down in 1989. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Have just started "The Turning Season" which is a look back at the clubs who were in the last season of the old east German League when the wall came down in 1989. 
The subject is very interesting, so far that alone I will probably read it, but it has not had good reviews. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The subject is very interesting, so far that alone I will probably read it, but it has not had good reviews. 

Will post an update when I get a bit into it and let you know what it's like. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 6:20pm
Thanks, I would certainly be interestedI am lead to believe that it isn't very well written but that the author's passion for the subject pulls it through.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 9:45pm
Sounds like a great idea for a book! I'm currently reading the biography of Adrian Doherty - Man United's lost star from Strabane. Pretty good so far
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 6:27am
just started the volunteer, by jack fairweather, it’s the story of Witold Pilecki a polish resistance fighter who undertook allow himself be captured and sent to auschwitz, in order to organise resistance within the camp, kill nazi officers, and document the evidence of what was going on there.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:40am
"The Happy Traitor" by Simon Kuper

Decent read so far. Blake is definitely an interesting character. The book is readable in two or three sittings.

You may know Kuper from books such as Football against the Enemy (a great read) and "Ajax, the Dutch, the War", also readable books.

Also read "The Trial" by Kafka recently. You need to be in the right frame of mind to read Kafka, obviously enough. I mean, I had a fair idea of what Kafkaesque meant before reading it and I'm not sure I'm that much the better for having read it, but it's still a good read.

Also, "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead. Definitely a good read. Some excellent twists in it. About escaping from slavery in the American South, obviously enough. Fiction. An entertaining read.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:21am
I read 'The Trial' myself before Christmas and was surprised how easy it was to get through. I assumed a 'Kafkaesque nightmare and all that it entailed would lead to complicated narratives and the like, but the absurdity is simply explained and the theme is still very relevant. I think that comes from rampant misuse of the word 'Kafkaesque'. 
I read 'The Metamorphosis' afterwards, which felt much more autobiographical than you would expect a book about waking up as an insect to do. You certainly would want to be in the right frame of mind for him!

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:24am
I picked up a copy online of 'What's the Story' book, the one with stories from Irish football fans. Nearly every story makes the authors look like a shower of ****s. All of the stories are of the  'Johnny shat on the hotel carpet and the German manager didn't like that at all, but it was all done in a good spirit' variety. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:06am

Claptons Autobio Clap

Ok.....

He really was a **** but at least he owns up to it. f**k sake, how he has any people that are his pal is beyond me. Money wha
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:13am

Claptons Autobio Clap

Ok.....

He really was a **** but at least he owns up to it. f**k sake, how he has any people that are his pal is beyond me. Money wha
He has never apologised for it though. I don't think he ever even admitted what he said was wrong. He is a horrible **** of a man.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:20am

Claptons Autobio Clap

Ok.....

He has never apologised for it though. I don't think he ever even admitted what he said was wrong. He is a horrible **** of a man.

He is fairly apologetic in the book but if anybody else has done some of things he did, it's game over. You're an outcast. 

I still like him, a tortured soul. I think from the turn of the millenium and since he knocked the booze on the head, he is alright in my book, a better person. He had a fear of needles so never injected heroin. Up the nose instead Confused
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:29am
There's a difference between being apologetic in a book and actually apologising. To undo what he done he could have campaigned against racism, made a stand or given some of the huge wealth he made from music; music that was robbed and  appropriated from Black musicians. There's probably a reason he didn't do that.

In some ways we should be grateful to him though, because of him we got 'Rock Against Racism' and all the brilliant music that came with it and pushed many performers to experiment more, creating far more interesting stuff than his bland brand of white blues. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:38am

One problem with reading on the Kindle is that I can never remember the titles of the books I’m reading. Without being able to see the cover regularly, I forget what they are called. 

Currently reading “When Friday Comes”. It’s quite an informative and interesting account of football in the Middle East. The Author tours through most of the region (Qatar, Yemen, Palestine, Iran, Lebanon etc) and tries to take in a big game. 
Enjoyable so far.
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

One problem with reading on the Kindle is that I can never remember the titles of the books I’m reading. Without being able to see the cover regularly, I forget what they are called. 

Currently reading “When Friday Comes”. It’s quite an informative and interesting account of football in the Middle East. The Author tours through most of the region (Qatar, Yemen, Palestine, Iran, Lebanon etc) and tries to take in a big game. 
Enjoyable so far.
I have read this and thoroughly enjoyed it. 'The Billionaire's Club' he wrote was excellent too. 1312 is still on the list. If we are judging books by titles then it is my favourite ever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 75>
  Share Topic