You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 75>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:11am
I used to wonder about the necessity for Bierhoff's role until I read the book. 

They even built their own place to stay during the WC. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It is.

Paul Williams books are very good though - but he's still a **** of the highest order.
He writes them in blue crayon. The man is a **** with an awful style of writing. You have to admire the grift, not to mention the complete absence of morals, but he is an embarrassment. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is.

Paul Williams books are very good though - but he's still a **** of the highest order.
He writes them in blue crayon. The man is a **** with an awful style of writing. You have to admire the grift, not to mention the complete absence of morals, but he is an embarrassment. 

Wouldn't disagree with a lot you are saying, but I am more interesting in the subject rather than the style of writing or the author more than anything else.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:58pm

It is.

Wouldn't disagree with a lot you are saying, but I am more interesting in the subject rather than the style of writing or the author more than anything else.

The subject is the problem. Glorifying these lads for their benefit and his pocket. It is totally amoral. You would forgive him if he could write!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
That's pretty common, I would've thought. There's an author named George Anastasia who writes books about organised crime. I like the books, and they're well-written, but you get the impression he cannot separate the fact he grew up in the same city [Philadelphia] with the same background as the kind of people he writes about and sometimes I have to cringe while I read his books.

A sense of detachment works wonders. I haven't read any of Williams books, though, so can't comment.

Was more of an Observer man when I still bought papers LOL.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm

It is.

Yep I'm the same. Even the first chapter of the monk book I was rolling my eyes with some the metaphors and sh*t but it died down in general and was more readable. 
I hated him on radio too, he is self righteous arsehole but I've enjoyed most of his books. 
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:23pm
1312 by James Montague. Thought it was very good. He explores the 'Ultra' scene in various different countries. Places like Indonesia, I wouldnt have associated with an ultra scene, is nuts. Shows how the game in the UK has been mostly sanitised from this culture. 

Just finished The Witness. Thought it was a great read whilst harrowing at the same time. Has anyone read Do or Die by Kenny's ex, if so worth reading?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:23pm
I haven't read 1312 yet, but I loved 'When Friday Comes' and 'Billionaire's Club'.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm

James Cooper Clarke autobiography "I Wanna Be Yours"

As an early punk poet who toured with many big acts whilst maintaining his devotion to hard drugs, JCC is an interesting character. The book itself is grand. He spends ages outlining his childhood and early years without anything particularly earth shattering taking place. 
We learn that he was a dedicated follower of fashion, to reference The Kinks, and he loved going to the cinema with his Mam. I didnt see the need for 35% of the content centering his adolescence. He doesn't try to be too cool for school which surprised me a bit, he's happy to share that he was always easily star struck and still acts like a fanboy around celebs. He also didnt really wallow in self pity as a lot of heroin addict authors tend to. The man enjoyed his drugs for a couple of decades. The addiction and need to get sorted gave him a daily focus. Anyway, if you're interested in the punk and early underground entertainment scene around Manchester and England generally this is a decent book. 
5.5/10

"OK, Let's Do Your Stupid Idea" by Patrick Freyne

I wanted something light and easy. I chose this as the reviews were decent and I had read a few of the authors articles and they were amusing. The great reviews were probably from his journalist pals. The book is fine. Again, it's an autobiography. There's a few moments that made me smile but it's not really funny. It was unexpectedly poignant in places when he discusses death and loss in his life. He writes reasonably well about anxiety and mental stress.

5/10

I've recently bought "Democracy For Sale" by Peter Geoghegan so I'll report back when I finish it. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:52pm
Interesting. I'm a big JCC fan and was contemplating his autobiography. I might not bother now.

I also like Freyne's column on a Friday (ooh matron), I find him quite funny, so I am surprised his book is a bit bland. 

'Democracy for Sale' is on my list too. It has certainly been well received. 
In a similar vein, I read Fintan O'Toole's book on Brexit before Christmas and while I enjoyed it overall, he is a fine writer and he certainly made some interesting points, it felt like he was trying to force a full book out of it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:18pm

I was possibly a harsh critic as I was in brutal form over New Years so take my review with a pinch of salt.

On a more positive note, I enjoyed “That Old Country Music” by Kevin Barry. I’m a fan of his anyway but this was a nice collection of short stories and not as dark as his usual stuff 
El Puto Amo
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:24pm

I haven't read 1312 yet, but I loved 'When Friday Comes' and 'Billionaire's Club'.

Those two are on my list, hopefully get one of them ticked off soon.

Dont think you will be disappointed with 1312. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm
Must try some more KB, it is just finding the time for them all! Even when bored as f**k in a pandemic, I still can't read everything I want to.

I was going to wait for 1312 in hardback. In a similar style, I really enjoyed Tobias Jones' 'Ultra', which looks at the ultra scene in Italy. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 12:00am
”the greatest footballer you never saw”...the robin Friday story.

An ok read,short enough book about a colorful character but found it slightly repetitive about Friday’s off field antics.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm

"Democracy for Sale" - Peter Geoghegan

It is a very interesting read. The subject matter is heavy but the story of dark money and the internet is made enjoyable by plenty of anecdotes involving plenty of well known global figures (Trump, Bannon, Boris, Putin, Orban etc). It really illustrated how well organised and funded the conservative right are on a global scale. My only criticism is that there is a bit of occasional repetition. It's scary stuff but important reading in the modern era.

7.5 /10  
El Puto Amo
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
David Baldacci - Amos Decker series. Enjoyable reading 
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 3:12pm
Claptons Autobio Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:10pm
I  read Declan Lynch's 'Days of Heaven' about the Charlton years this morning, has anyone else read it? I didn't expect a hagiography of Jack at all, or even a football book, but I didn't expect so much Father Michael Cleary either. You kind of expect Bono to appear in every page from anyone with a Hot Press link, but some of the tangents are a bit wearisome!
Despite it all I enjoyed it enough to read it in one sitting and enjoyed his need to give an opinion on absolutely everything, even the many bits I didn't agree with. 
He is a fine writer, but like a lot of men with his background he struggles to get a hold of a book and the matter at hand. He could have left Irish football out of it completely and called it 'Declan Lynch's take on Ireland: 1985-96'!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 75>
  Share Topic