You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 75>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Hi ET , hope things are good in Scotland
Read
Neutral shores (Ireland and the Battle of the Atlantic)- Mark Mc shane
Murder on the home Front - Molly Lefebure
Lost Honour Betrayed Loyalty - Herbert Maeger 

Reading

The Devils Diary - Alfred Rosenberg and the stolen secrets of the third Reich

To read

The German War - a nation under arms - Nicholas Stargardt

here..... turn on the History Channel. takes about a days watching to find out what happened and you dont have to waste days reading sh*te books. 

the last book you opened was a colouring in one
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:21pm
Can you see into his house?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Read

Reading

To read

here..... turn on the History Channel. takes about a days watching to find out what happened and you dont have to waste days reading sh*te books. 
The History Channel is sh*te. 

The old 1970s BBC documentaries are what you want.

"The World At War" (although that was actually made by ITV) is easily the best thing ever made about World War II. 

"The Nazis - A Warning From History" is pretty good too. 

"The Great War" (though I always hated WWI being referred to as that) by BBC was made in 1964 I think. Watched that a few years back. It's all black and white and can be a slog at times but brings home the utter misery of it all very well.

I've been meaning to watch Claude Lanzmann's "Shoah" for years but haven't got around to it yet. I will this year.

At the moment I'm reading "Hiding In Plain Sight" by Sarah Kendzior, about Trump's criminality and all round scum of the earthness. It's very good. She's an outstanding writer and commentator and places Trump firmly within the framework of fascist history and international organised crime, which are the only appropriate frameworks to view him through.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:48pm
My Crazy World - Christy Dignam. How that man is still alive I'll never know. 

Why Nations Fail - A look into why certain countries have prospered ahead of others, mainly due to inclusive political and economic institutions, and the willingness to embrace industrialisation and creative destruction. Found the chapters on South America the most interesting, especially around the real reasons for those countries' determination for independence from Spain.

Next up is Richie Sadlier's book and Prisoners of Geography.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Reading A Tournament Frozen in Time. It's about the European Cup Winners Cup...Interesting read so far. Nice nostalgia trip from before money and greed ruined top level football. Plenty of info about the teams in it but I wouldn't mind if it had more background of some of the players themselves. Book feels as if it's just scratching the surface
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Reading A Tournament Frozen in Time. It's about the European Cup Winners Cup...Interesting read so far. Nice nostalgia trip from before money and greed ruined top level football. Plenty of info about the teams in it but I wouldn't mind if it had more background of some of the players themselves. Book feels as if it's just scratching the surface

The author is a contributor on a podcast I occasionally listen to called 'These Football Times'; he certainly seems knowledgeable on the game and it is an interesting subject. I loved that tournament, particularly on Championship Manager 97-98! Starting with Kilmarnock or Betis just to have a cut at it.LOL
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:11pm
just finished Richie’s Sandliers book. Brilliant read . He had some couple of years after he Finished up 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:22pm

Got it recently. Great read and perfect for dipping in and out of  
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:25pm

Dirty Tricks – BA’s war against Virgin – Martin Gregory – how BA tried to bankrupt the then fledgling Virgin Atlantic – great read on industrial dirty tricks from the Conservative Partys pet

Finished this last week. Superb read. King, Marshall and Burnside are absolute ****s 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Dirty Tricks – BA’s war against Virgin – Martin Gregory – how BA tried to bankrupt the then fledgling Virgin Atlantic – great read on industrial dirty tricks from the Conservative Partys pet

Finished this last week. Superb read. King, Marshall and Burnside are absolute ****s 

Blast from the past SmileSmileglad you enjoyed it DI
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:11pm

Got from your recommendation well worth the money   Thumbs Up

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:42pm

Got from your recommendation well worth the money   Thumbs Up

Thought it was part of the books I offered for free in my giveaway - there were no takers Cry still a fair few to get rid of - must draw up a list though gods knows when I can hand them over 

Edited by Newryrep - 14 May 2020 at 7:45pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:20pm

Read

Reading

To read

Aye all good mate. Hope your well too.

I might check out "Neutral Shores" later this year. The Battle of the Atlantic is a fascinating subject. 

One of my Irish ancestors was working as a steward on Cunard's ships during the Battle of the Atlantic. He come through alright. I can tell you an odd story about him (his name was Bernie) that for some inexplicable reason was handed down to me.

My mob left Co. Cavan for Glasgow around 1913/14 with the exception of Bernie who as a teenager travelled to Liverpool and went to sea with Cunard as a bellboy. Over the next few years he worked his way up to be a boots steward, bathroom steward and finally got the job where the big tips where - first class bedroom steward.

On the day he signed on for a voyage and went to read the list detailing which stewards had been allocated to which group of cabins, something odd happened. All the other stewards kept quietly laughing or making comments such as "good luck lad, you'll need it !".

Bernie asked the chief steward what was wrong. The chap said "Ah, so you'll be young Smith then ?"
"Yes chief."
"Right well, you'll be looking after Mrs --- on this crossing. She's a fine looking, rich, yankee widow. Crosses the Atlantic three or four times a year. But this woman is a bloody pest."
"Oh ?"
"She rings for one of my lads and they end up in her cabin for an hour and come out completely worn out when they should be working.
"Ah."
"And now all the lads wives have found out about her and have written to the company complaining they don't want their husbands looking after this woman."
"I see.
"So that's why I've decided you'll be looking after her. Good luck lad."
"Em, thanks chief".

That's where the story ends. Some might say incomplete .....

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 15 May 2020 at 11:20pm
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:45pm

yea would agree with that. i was looking forward to reading it but was disappointed with it.  thought the book was all over the place. there was no interviews with past players or managers.  the ending felt a bit rushed in that there was a chapter on Wales but he ended up talking about league of ireland clubs and northern ireland. barely mentioned dunfirmlines run to the semi final in 68/69 which i thought would have added to the randomness of the competition.

some deadly facts in it though. de kuip/heysel/ basel stadium hosted a good few finals. never knew that barcelona only won 3 league titles between 1960 and 1985

cup champions
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

just finished Richie’s Sandliers book. Brilliant read . He had some couple of years after he Finished up 

by some accounts part's of that book should be classed under fiction. I'm only the messenger now 

Edited by Artie Ziff - 23 May 2020 at 6:05pm
It would damage this forums' reputation
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:30am
A great book I read recently which I think many will find very interesting in current circumstances is "Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How It Changed the World" by Laura Spinney.

An excellent analysis of the last great worldwide pandemic which killed more people in eighteen months that four years of global war managed to do.

It's also not focused solely on Europe and North America which many previous accounts have been. There are extensive chapters on what the devastating consequences it had on India, China, the Pacific Islands and Africa.

Recommended.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 05 Aug 2020 at 12:31am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:54am
Her articles on the pandemic have been brilliant. It has been on my list for a while, I would like to think I will get around to it eventually!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 3:46pm
Read a few books lately:
"Europe United" by Matt Walker: a lad who went to a top flight game in every UEFA member state over one season. Tbh, I didn't love it. It was more a continual stream of loosely-linked anecdotes and there's a lot of "then I had a kebab then I went to the pub then I met a fan then we watched the match then I went to Ljubljana". It's an interesting idea but the book itself wasn't brilliant. I actually met him in Georgia the last time we were there (he was going from Azerbaijan to Armenia at the time). I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it but it could have been so much better. It gets a 2.5/5 from me.

"The Secret Barrister" by anonymous: about the criminal legal aid system in England and Wales. It's a very good read and readable and understandable by lawyers and non-lawyers alike, demonstrating the serious flaws with the criminal justice system there, basically entirely caused by a continued underfunding of the system (and I don't mean more money for lawyers), in particular with court closures, overworked prosecution staff and overworked police officers, not to mention overworked defence lawyers. It's an excellent read and a lot of the same stuff applies here. It can be a bit repetitive and, at times, it comes across as a plea for nothing more than more money (which it really isn't) but it does make its point well enough all the same. It gets 4/5.

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson (it's from the 1980s): about a mountain climber who fell and broke his ankle high up in the Andes and had to crawl home, after basically being left for dead. It has a bit of technical climbing language in places but it's still understandable (and you can google a term if you want to). Even though you know how it ends, it's still an absolutely gripping read (pun intended). The way he captures the mental ups and downs of the entire journey is superb, going from hopelessness to elation to despair and back up again. I'd give it 5/5.

"Around the World in 80 Trains" by Monesha Rajesh: as the cover says, it's an account of travelling around the world by train. It is how travel books should be written, certainly compared to Matt Walker's book above. It was an escape during the worst of the Covid restrictions and her writing is good enough to take you there - up the Tibet railway to Lhasa, across the US with Amtrak, through Europe at speed - she captures it all very well. It's one of the most enjoyable travel books I've read. It gets a 4.5/5.

"Trans-Siberian Adventures" by Matthew Woodward: again, an account of travelling across the Trans-Siberian by train. This is less a travel book and, in some ways, more of an account of the actual train ride, and as such is much more useful for anyone planning to do the same than Rajesh's book. It is none the worse for it though, even if I doubt the value in travelling all the way from Moscow to Beijing directly, without stopping in Russia or, even more unforgivably, Mongolia. It's entertaining all the same and captures the life on board a single long-distance train really well (at least in my own, limited, experience of long-distance train travel). It gets a 4/5.

I've never read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby and I'm half way through it now, then I have The Blind Side by Michael Lewis to follow, then Slaying the Badger, about the LeMond-Hinault Tour de France in I think 1987.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 75>
  Share Topic