You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 75>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Hunty, if you liked the Silk Roads then you might enjoy Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. 
It was ok, it’s hard to get passed him being a Tory ****, it was implied wherever he could. I felt his book on flags, ‘Worth Dying For’ was a better book.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:17pm

I picked up a couple of cheap classics on the Kindle. Just finished 'The Old Man and The Sea' by Hemingway which was enjoyable and easy to work through.  

Currently reading 'The Metamorphosis' by Kafka which is mildly amusing and not too heavy either. 
El Puto Amo
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:43pm
Will check out the first one you mentioned McH Thumbs Up
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Picked up Danish Dynamite not too long ago was planning on starting it this week but after the game alst week think i'll put it off for awhile.

Going to re-read A life too short - the tragedy of Robert Enke
Danish Dynamite is very enjoyable .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Hunty, if you liked the Silk Roads then you might enjoy Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. 
It was ok, it’s hard to get passed him being a Tory ****, it was implied wherever he could. I felt his book on flags, ‘Worth Dying For’ was a better book.

I'll give 'Worth Dying for' a go. Cheers
El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:18pm
Andre Lyder, “Pushers Out”

An interesting read about the concerned parents movements in Dublin in the 80s and 90s
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:11pm
The Tao of Bill Murray

Collection of stories about Bill Murray and his random encounters with people quite enjoyable
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:55pm
Any old sh*te will get published these days!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Tony 10 - 8/10.

About former employee of An Post whose gambling addiction led him to steal nearly 2 million from the post office he was manager of. Some of the wins and losses he had were outrageous, for example, won 462k in 12 hours, and then had lost it all by the next morning.

Well worth a read. You'll remember a lot of the games, and the stories around his bets on these are funny. Dirk Kuyt's 102nd minute equalising peno against Arsenal (who had scored one in the 98th minute) saved him from losing a fortune on one such bet.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:49am
What have you all been reading whilst shut up in the house for the past few weeks ?

I'm currently reading a collection of supernatural tales by E. F. Benson. The latter was a great writer of classic ghost stories from the early 20th century who relied more on deft suggestions and well crafted atmosphere (I much prefer this kind of approach) to achieve the desired effect rather than relying on blood and guts flying around everywhere.

Before that I read "Britain's War: Into Battle 1937-1941" by Daniel Todman. Superb reading. 

The author used the archives of the voluntary "Mass Observation" project ran during the war to reveal a lot of what people really thought about how things were going and what they thought of those at the top. It challenges quite a few myths about the "stiff upper lip" spirit and reveals things were not as cosy and tight knit as are so often portrayed. 

I've got Tim Pat Coogan's book on the Easter Rising to follow.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:55am
Been re-reading Tor
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

I'm currently reading a collection of supernatural tales by E. F. Benson. The latter was a great writer of classic ghost stories from the early 20th century who relied more on deft suggestions and well crafted atmosphere (I much prefer this kind of approach) to achieve the desired effect rather than relying on blood and guts flying around everywhere.

How's the form ET? Hope you're keeping well.

If you like the above I would suggest Sheridan Le Fanu's 'In a Glass Darkly'. Anthology of five tales from a nineteenth century writer that are similar in nature to those described above.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:04pm
Have been reading a few during the lockdown

Unravelling Oliver - Thriller/Mystery from Irish author Liz Nugent that draws you in, in the first chapter. A quick read because every chapter leaves you wanting to read

The Girl in the Spiders Web - Fourth book in Stieg Larrsons Millenium series. Written by David Lagercrantz after the original authors death. Not a senjoyable as first 3 for me a bit meh

Lonesome Dove - Book about Texas Rangers going on one last cattle drive, really good more about the lives and thoughts etc of the characters than the cattle drive itself 

Re-reading My War Gone by, I miss it so - One of my favourite books about a recovering addict who is a journalist in the Yugoslavian War.. Great book highly recommended

Also started The Last Refuge by Craig Robertson -  About a guy who moves to the faroe islands to get away from Scotland. Its a crime/thriller but havent read enough yet

Probably easy enough reads nothing too high browEmbarrassed

Edited by foggy.nelson - 14 May 2020 at 12:06pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 12:10pm
I read Jonathan Wilson's 'The Names Heard Long Ago' the other week and was disappointed. There's an idea without there being a narrative. It ends up being a load of loosely connected, and often similar, stories of the men who helped develop football tactics in, and from, Budapest, but it just fizzled out.
He is unquestionably an excellent writer, but I found this a chore in the end and incomparable with his book on tactics, on which this overlaps a lot, and on Argentina.

Edited by pre Madonna - 14 May 2020 at 2:56pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

How's the form ET? Hope you're keeping well.

If you like the above I would suggest Sheridan Le Fanu's 'In a Glass Darkly'. Anthology of five tales from a nineteenth century writer that are similar in nature to those described above.

I'm fine thanks. Cheers for asking mate, that's much appreciated and all the best to yourself Thumbs Up

Several years ago I read "In A Glass Darkly" and was like you very impressed with Le Fanu's writing. Oxford World Classics are going to publish a big collection of his short stories soon (with extensive footnotes about the historical period and culture) which I'll definitely be ordering. 

Arthur Machen and Algernon Blackwood are two authors whose works are starting to be republished that I keep meaning to try sometime. In their day they were both very popular writers of "weird stories" as they were called.

For anyone that's interested in their military history I'd recommend "Passchendaele" by Nick Lloyd. A new(ish) account of the infamous WW1 battle. It's not a "dry" history of "Unit X moved to point Y and attacked the positions at Z" but really tells the soldiers stories, both Allied and German. The efforts and the suffering endured by the Irish soldiers are also mentioned. 

What I found really interestingly was the author's case of who really was to blame for the massive casualties. Although not entirely absolved from criticism, Field Marshal Haig is not the authors main "culprit". Rather he reveals that Prime Minister Lloyd George must take responsibility for repeatedly failing to exercise his right (a power which the author proves from official papers that the PM definitely had) to halt anymore offensives and who after the war frequently lied that he had done everything he could to stop it when in fact he was urging more attacks.

A sad moment reading the book for me was that the British General Staff almost called off any further attacks in late September 1917 but decided to seize more high ground. One of my family serving with the Australian Army was killed in the ensuing attack at Broodseinde Ridge on October 5th.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:27pm
Hi ET , hope things are good in Scotland
Read
Neutral shores (Ireland and the Battle of the Atlantic)- Mark Mc shane
Murder on the home Front - Molly Lefebure
Lost Honour Betrayed Loyalty - Herbert Maeger 

Reading

The Devils Diary - Alfred Rosenberg and the stolen secrets of the third Reich

To read

The German War - a nation under arms - Nicholas Stargardt

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I read Jonathan Wilson's 'The Names Heard Long Ago' the other week and was disappointed. There's an idea without their being a narrative. It ends up being a load of loosely connected, and often similar, stories of the men who helped develop football tactics in, and from, Budapest, but it just fizzled out.
He is unquestionably an excellent writer, but I found this a chore in the end and incomparable with his book on tactics, on which this overlaps a lot, and on Argentina.

Yeah i've heard it isn't his best work.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Hi ET , hope things are good in Scotland
Read
Neutral shores (Ireland and the Battle of the Atlantic)- Mark Mc shane
Murder on the home Front - Molly Lefebure
Lost Honour Betrayed Loyalty - Herbert Maeger 

Reading

The Devils Diary - Alfred Rosenberg and the stolen secrets of the third Reich

To read

The German War - a nation under arms - Nicholas Stargardt

here..... turn on the History Channel. takes about a days watching to find out what happened and you dont have to waste days reading sh*te books. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 75>
  Share Topic