You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 75>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm
Im flicking through a book called A guide to Irish Deities by Morgan Daimler at the minute. Bit left field but some interesting stuff.

It lists Irish gods and goddesses from Pagan times. There is some amount of gods and goddesses in Irish times from years past, mainly deities from the Tuath De Danann. Amazing how much and how quickly the catholic church, from a religious standpoint, altered this countries mindset and ideals over the years imo. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 15 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 5:05pm
Finished Angels with Dirty Faces. A great read and provides good insight to the socio-political climate of the period each chapter deals with. Argentinian football really is a basket case, summed up perfectly by this years Libertadores final.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:48am
Finished Andy Lee's book. As a boxing fan, I thought it was good in parts, but despite all the plaudits it's getting, I don't see how any non-boxing fans would be interested in reading it. 

Thought the chapters on the Chavez loss and Steward's illness were excellent though.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Finished Andy Lee's book. As a boxing fan, I thought it was good in parts, but despite all the plaudits it's getting, I don't see how any non-boxing fans would be interested in reading it. 

Thought the chapters on the Chavez loss and Steward's illness were excellent though.

Check out Eamonn Magee's book.Its excellent.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:17am

Finished Angels with Dirty Faces. A great read and provides good insight to the socio-political climate of the period each chapter deals with. Argentinian football really is a basket case, summed up perfectly by this years Libertadores final.

Yeah I enjoyed both books. I have a mini obsession with Argentina generally so I was defo in the target market for Angels with Dirty Faces. It is a serious volume of work and helps explain why football means more to Argentina than probably any other country. 

Andy Lee's book is an easy read and he's a likable fella too. It's a cut above your standard sportsperson's book where the norm is to just list out their achievements and important events. There was good insight into the general lifestyle of a boxer in terms of diet, discipline and work - and it's not glamorous. His piece about the less talented lads who are used to fill fight cards was good, how Andy just wants to get them out of the ring quickly before they get hurt when he was pitted against them. 

The main thinking point for me was about the perception of travelers in general and how to integrate them properly into society. Andy discusses what it's like to be a gypsy in Irish and British culture. Again, he is a wholly decent guy and looking at things from his perspective and then looking at the comments in the Crime thread on here makes me wonder how things can get better. 
El Puto Amo
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:23pm
Lethal Allies.

Tough to read in parts.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
Football against the enemy by Simon Kuper , Half way thought decent read so far. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Football against the enemy by Simon Kuper , Half way thought decent read so far. 
Far and away the greatest book on football. Absolutely flawless.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:37pm

For any Kevin Barry fans, Beatlebone is a superb read. It's a fictionalised account of John Lennons time, having suffered a bit of a mental breakdown, traveling to the island he purchased in Clew Bay for therapeutic purposes chaperoned by a chancer/fixer from Mayo. 

Those in the know will be aware that Lennon really did purchase Dorinish Island and spent time there and on Achill island in the 70's. I wasn't aware of the number of radical groups that populated the West coast in this era and the book covers some of that. 

It's brilliantly written and occasionally funny. 
El Puto Amo
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Have to say the best chapter so far was about the Hertha Berlin fan living in the East 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm

Anyone interested in this book,just spotted Amazon are selling the kindle version for £1.49 .
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Yeah I enjoyed both books. I have a mini obsession with Argentina generally so I was defo in the target market for Angels with Dirty Faces. It is a serious volume of work and helps explain why football means more to Argentina than probably any other country. 

Andy Lee's book is an easy read and he's a likable fella too. It's a cut above your standard sportsperson's book where the norm is to just list out their achievements and important events. There was good insight into the general lifestyle of a boxer in terms of diet, discipline and work - and it's not glamorous. His piece about the less talented lads who are used to fill fight cards was good, how Andy just wants to get them out of the ring quickly before they get hurt when he was pitted against them. 

The main thinking point for me was about the perception of travelers in general and how to integrate them properly into society. Andy discusses what it's like to be a gypsy in Irish and British culture. Again, he is a wholly decent guy and looking at things from his perspective and then looking at the comments in the Crime thread on here makes me wonder how things can get better. 

He gives great insight in to these aspects, especially with his deteriorating relationship with Steward, his struggles with promoters, and the change in coach. It's a pity he never got the coverage he should have back home because as you said, he's seems like a good fella. Hopefully he can do well for himself with his media work to have a comfortable life.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:47pm

Have to say the best chapter so far was about the Hertha Berlin fan living in the East 

Finished this today definitely recommend it 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:16pm

Finished this today definitely recommend it 
It has been a while since I read it, I must pick up another copy.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:13pm
yeah it was an excellent read. Nearly finished Bedroom Secrets Of the Masterchefs by Irvine Welsh. Thoroughly enjoyable
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:10am

Ajax, the Dutch, the War is better.
You’d love it Wink
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Ajax, the Dutch, the War is better.
You’d love it Wink
As I told you the last time you made the same wisecrack; I've read it and enjoyed it. Not as good as 'Football Against the Enemy' but is part of the reason I dislike Ajax. They don't come out of it too well.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

yeah it was an excellent read. Nearly finished Bedroom Secrets Of the Masterchefs by Irvine Welsh. Thoroughly enjoyable
Really? I thought it was his least enjoyable novel, although I haven't read 'Dead Man's Trousers' and one another. As soon as he 'leaves' Scotland his standard deteriorates. He should stick in Edinburgh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 75>
  Share Topic