You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Started reading the The Power of Habit, 100 pages in definitely recommend it 

I started that months ago but never finished  it. What I had read was interesting  but start it again. 

Just finished it there this morning one of the best books I've read in a while. 100 % recommend it 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:55pm
Finished Sugar Ray Leonard's book. Very average, goes into very little detail about his drug and alcohol abuse and almost seems to be bragging about cheating on his first wife for years. Interesting that he doesn't give too much credit to Angelo Dundee for his achievements in the ring.

Starting Tyson's book.

Edited by The Huntacha - 24 May 2018 at 6:56pm
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:17pm
Tyson book is very good.

If you're interested in the Leonard era ,have a look for Four Kings.Gives  a good account of Sugar Ray,Duran,Hagler and Hearns. 

Edited by rossieman - 24 May 2018 at 8:17pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:03pm

Tyson book is very good.

If you're interested in the Leonard era ,have a look for Four Kings.Gives  a good account of Sugar Ray,Duran,Hagler and Hearns. 

Read it a few years ago, great book. I think it was that book which said that Duran had no fear of Leonard or Hagler, but was always freaked out by Hearns. If that was the case, the result of their fight was hardly surprising.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Tyson book is very good.

Read it a few years ago, great book. I think it was that book which said that Duran had no fear of Leonard or Hagler, but was always freaked out by Hearns. If that was the case, the result of their fight was hardly surprising.

Yeah that was the gist of it,he just thought Hearns was a machine. 
Some great stuff about Duran in that book .
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:34am

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Angels with dirty faces, the footballing history of argentina - jonathan wilson

It's excellent  One of the best football books I've read in a long while although that's probably because it delves into far more than just football . 

had to park the book for a couple of weeks due to work projects, but back on it and near the end. really is a fantastic book. it has me watching every and any video of juan roman, f**k he was such a pleasure to watch! probably my favourite footballer
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:19am
There's a video on YouTube that someone posted on here before called The Legend of Riquelme, his range of passing was excellent. Have that book next on my list.
JK10 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 2:50pm
Almost finished Dave Hannigan "Wonder Boy" - all about his time growing up in Cork, very enjoyable SmileThumbs Up especially if you of a similar age to him i.e. mid forties
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:01pm
Didn't he used to post on here? I always found his writing style irksome and him a bit egomaniacal.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:26am

Tyson book is very good.

About 40 pages in, he had some f*cked up childhood. Sharing a bed with his aul one while she's riding someone in it, no wonder he has a few screws loose.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:39pm
Warsaw 1944 - Alexandra Richie - very good so far ( references nothwithstanding)
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm

Angels with dirty faces, the footballing history of argentina - jonathan wilson

It's excellent  One of the best football books I've read in a long while although that's probably because it delves into far more than just football . 

had to park the book for a couple of weeks due to work projects, but back on it and near the end. really is a fantastic book. it has me watching every and any video of juan roman, f**k he was such a pleasure to watch! probably my favourite footballer

Just started it yesterday , hard to put down once you get going
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
No Hunger in Paradise about grassroots and academy football in England.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:37pm

'The Gospel according to Blindboy' exceeded my expectations. It's a collection of short stories that are written in his surrealist style. There's a couple of duds in there but the good ones far outweighed the bad with some hilarious bits. The story about The Irish War of Independence is fooking gas, pretty sick but very funny. 
El Puto Amo
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
Half way thought Cryuff's My Turn. Descent read so far. One of the most surprising things it that he mentions he was part of the group that tried to bring Wimbledon to Ireland during the late 90's. He says he got involved in the project as he thought it would be great to bring the Waring Catholics and Protestants together thought football !!!!  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 9:56am

Half way thought Cryuff's My Turn. Descent read so far.  
It starts going downhill now.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 1:27pm
three men in a boat , Jerome k Jerome , an oldie but funny. 
Centennial by  Mitchener and
Revenge of the lawn by Richard brautigan.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 6:53am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Half way thought Cryuff's My Turn. Descent read so far.  
It starts going downhill now.

You weren’t wrong . Bit of an air of grumpy old man giving out because people don’t agree with him in the second half 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 75>
  Share Topic