You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gibraltar - possible away trip in the future?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gibraltar - possible away trip in the future?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:20am

Gibraltar national team made provisional member of Uefa

• Uefa congress to meet in May 2013 to vote on admission
• Decision taken after ruling by court for arbitration in sport

guardian.co.uk,
Gibraltar
Gibraltar has long sought to become a full Uefa member. A vote in May 2013 may make this dream a reality. Photograph: AP/Rex Features

Gibraltar has moved a step closer to becoming a member of Uefa after the tiny British colony was admitted as a provisional member by the organisation's executive committee.

"The committee has admitted Gibraltar as a provisional member of Uefa as from today, 1 October 2012," Uefa said in a statement. "This follows a ruling by the court of arbitration for sport (Cas) in August 2011. A decision on the admission of the Gibraltar Football Association (GFA) as a full member of Uefa will be taken by the XXXVII Ordinary Uefa Congress in London in May 2013."

If ratified Gibraltar (population 28,000) will become Uefa's 54th and smallest national team, behind San Marino (32,000), Liechtenstein (36,000) and the Faroe Islands (49,267) though it is unclear when they would be able to play their first international match as a full Uefa member.

Their most recent results include a 2-1 victory over Bury in January 2012, a 3-1 win over an England C team in November 2011, a 2-1 defeat to Rochdale in July 2011 and a 3-0 win over the Faroe Islands in March 2011, a result that will give them hope that they may not necessarily be the worst nation in Europe if they do earn full member status.

Gibraltar residents have long argued that the promontory is deserving of being a Uefa member, pointing to its wealth of football teams (over 100) and its potential to tap into this talent to develop its national team. But politics and strong opposition to the move in Spain has so far proved to be an insurmountable obstacle. Spain is particularly concerned that if Gibraltar is granted independent status as a footballing nation, there may be a strong push in the Basque Country and Catalonia for similar status for their international football teams, who already play regular friendly matches.

Spain's sports minister Miguel Cardenal said: "This was expected. It was unsuccessfully proposed once before in 2007. It had also been admitted provisionally. We continue to work in the interests of Spain."

Spain still claims sovereignty over Gibraltar after it was ceded to Britain under the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht. An edict from the Consejo Superior de Deportes to all sports federations in Spain says they should block any membership application from organisations in Gibraltar.

Gibraltar's national teams included in Uefa draws for the first time

• Criticism in Spain over British territory competing
• Gibraltar FA say inclusion is 'not about politics'

guardian.co.uk,
Gibraltar
Gibraltar's national teams have been included in Uefa competition draws for the first time. Photograph: Curtis Ben Curtis/PA

Gibraltar's national teams have been included in Uefa competition draws for the first time – a move into European football which their FA president insists should not be a political issue.

Gibraltar's FA head, Gareth Latin, said it was "a proud moment" to see their Under-19 and Under-17 teams placed in qualifying groups for their 2014 European Championships, despite strong opposition in Spain.

"This is nothing at all to do with politics and we have said it from day one," Latin said after the draws. "We should think of football and work in unity."

Gibraltar was drawn with an asterisk by its name in an Under-17 pool with England, Ireland and Armenia, and an Under-19 group with the Czech Republic, Croatia and Cyprus.

Those fixtures will be fulfilled next October, in Armenia and the Czech Republic, only if Gibraltar is accepted as a full Uefa member by a majority of Europe's 53 official football nations when they vote next May.

Gibraltar was allowed in the draws because Uefa granted provisional member status in October after previous bids in a long campaign were blocked by Spain, which claims sovereignty.

Still, Gibraltar is sure to make its official competitive debut in January, playing qualifiers for the 2014 Futsal Euro. The matches in Nice, France, will be against the host Montenegro and San Marino, another tiny territory which has become an established member of the European football family.

Latin said Gibraltar has six top-division teams and 600 registered senior players in its population of almost 30,000, who have full British citizenship. It seeks to follow Andorra, the Faroe Islands and San Marino who joined Uefa's ranks within the past 25 years – though without facing such political opposition.

The GFA, which was founded in 1895, applied to Fifa for membership in 1997 with the backing of England, but the world governing body delegated the decision to the European body.

Uefa called a vote at its 2007 Congress but Spain engineered strong opposition to Gibraltar's bid.

After Uefa pushed Gibraltar's application forward in October, Spain's sports minister, José Ignacio Wert, said he hoped "provisional acceptance of Gibraltar won't become permanent".

The Spanish FA president, Angel María Villar, a Fifa vice president and 20-year member of the Uefa board, is a potentially influential opponent ahead of the next vote in London.

"I'm hoping to meet him soon," said Latin. "We want to be friends and we want to build those bridges."

Latin, a volunteer president for four years with a day job in banking, aims to visit all 53 voters before the vote. He acknowledges he has much work to do.

"At the end of the day, I don't expect countries closer to eastern Europe to know who Gibraltar is. That is reality. It's important that we make them aware. It's something we've been waiting for 14 years."

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:24am

http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/kaiane_aldorino_bathing_suit_2009.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Ocean_Village_berths_with_rock_behind.jpg

Edited by rolo - 07 Dec 2012 at 2:38am
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:39am
Been there before. Good craic! Would be great away trip. There's crazy monkeys up on the rock!
Ahh heya!
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:43am
Looks great!

Bit of sun, a beach, hot women (hopefully) and the obligatory square for the pre-match session!

They better get the FAI's vote at Congress in May.

Shocked

Edited by rolo - 07 Dec 2012 at 2:46am
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:53am
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:55am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Looks great!
Bit of sun, a beach, hot women (hopefully) and the obligatory square for the pre-match session!

They better get the FAI's vote at Congress in May.

Shocked

Yep they're the monkeys! They do be jumpin on your back and meesin around. The feckin noise of them, but it's a bit of a laugh. You have the cable car as well that goes up to the top of the rock. And if I remember correctly (I was only about 13 or 14 when there) it's really cheap because it's some sort of tax haven??
Ahh heya!
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 3:00am
Deadly. This place sounds class!

All going well they'll become a country (in UEFAs eyes at least).

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 3:06am
Their stadium holds 5000 people. Stadium is right beside the airport as well LOL

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:00am
A cr*phole I must say , hate the place as it's just a souless pit Thumbs Down
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:03am
Agree rolo......would be a good spot for an Away trip........they have a Yacht Club , so the lads from Galway will feel at home too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Ocean_Village_berths_with_rock_behind.jpg
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:34am
Was there 3 times .

One of the apes was sitting in the middle of the road near the top of the rock with a bus load of tourists standing around looking at him.he started pulling his flute in front of them.i nearly collapsed on the ground laughing.one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

Its actually a complete dive of a place with dear accomodation.you d probably stay in La Linea across the border. their football stadium isnt too bad.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:41am
Been there, its only a stones throw from Malaga, seems eveything is cheap until you realize you are paying in pounds! Monkeys all over the gaff, cheap cigarettes etc, great weather, would be a good away trip alright!
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 8:53am
Class! 
On my to do list. Away day would be savage there. Rob a monkey.

get bent sligo hornet with your smart arse comment to follow!

Edited by McG - 07 Dec 2012 at 8:53am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Class! 
On my to do list. Away day would be savage there. Nobe a monkey.

get bent sligo hornet with your smart arse comment to follow!
  Hey whatever turns you on McG
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 10:39am
be very handy for a lot of the lads on here , they could stay in spain and then not bother going to gibralter to the match at all Shocked
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 11:03am
I don't think they should be in UEFA. What's to stop the Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc joining UEFA if Gibraltar get in?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Was there 3 times .

One of the apes was sitting in the middle of the road near the top of the rock with a bus load of tourists standing around looking at him.he started pulling his flute in front of them
.i nearly collapsed on the ground laughing.one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

Its actually a complete dive of a place with dear accomodation.you d probably stay in La Linea across the border. their football stadium isnt too bad.

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClapClap
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I don't think they should be in UEFA. What's to stop the Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc joining UEFA if Gibraltar get in?

what would your problem with that be?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic