You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Union flag to be taken down from Belfast city hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Union flag to be taken down from Belfast city hall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 134>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceannaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100095628/northern-ireland-catholics-are-now-more-unionist-than-the-english-can-the-united-kingdom-last/

thats from same survey but doesnt have the 13% figure, have posted it up before though

interesting stat in there - the union is more popular with norn iron catholics than english people

What an absolute load of b*lls. The Telegraph? LOL
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by ceannaire ceannaire wrote:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100095628/northern-ireland-catholics-are-now-more-unionist-than-the-english-can-the-united-kingdom-last/

thats from same survey but doesnt have the 13% figure, have posted it up before though

interesting stat in there - the union is more popular with norn iron catholics than english people

Did you actually read it or just see the telegraph and come to your own conclusions?? The telegraph had nothing to do with the poll, Queens and University of Ulster did it, they just reported on it
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

It's worth bearing in mind that the Scottish referendum is merely a question - do Scots want to go alone. The actual breakup of the Union would be a long and drawn out process which would span a generation, if the English actually let it happen - there's nothing that says they have to actually listen to the results of the referendum.

The Irish situation is, in my opinion, very different and any suggested break away from the UK would lead to all out conflict as pointed out above. That said, I have always believed and I will always believe that unity is better than partition. Be it inside the UK or out, Ireland was one country and in the future i believe it will be one country again. Our Island is far too small to be divided.

People often say the biggest hurdle is convincing our Unionist country men and women to believe in a United Ireland. I believe a bigger challenge is reinvigorating the South to recognise and fight for a United Ireland, peacefully. I'm sick to death of reading comments from stupid mong inbred Southerners on here saying they don't want the North etc etc... Anyone who believes that needs to pick up a history book and learn about the sacrifices made by generations before us. I wasn’t born in Ireland, but I made it my duty to learn about the history of my country. I believe everyone should.

Our Unionist country men and women will only begin to trust us, once we can truly convince ourselves that any future united country would have to be a country of absolute equals, recognising our shared culture, whether it be orange or green. In this country, the 12th should be celebrated with equal cultural importance to St. Guinness Day.  In my opinion, this will happen, but it will take generations and I’m not sure if our generation have the stomach for it.

Fundamentally, London and the people of the UK despise everything Belfast and all the troubles bring. If only our banana republic government in the South had the balls to fight.

That's a bit f*ckin harsh. I concur with Jack Shat.
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 2:55pm

Did you actually read it or just see the telegraph and come to your own conclusions?? The telegraph had nothing to do with the poll, Queens and University of Ulster did it, they just reported on it
They didn't just report on it, that's an opinion piece and it uses some dodgy tactics to come up with the headline that the UK is more popular with NI nationalists than English people.

"52% of NI Catholics want to remain in the Union" links to a Belfast Telegraph story on the survey you mention above. There's no link to the actual survey, what the question was, who the respondants were, margin of error etc.
"48% of English people want to keep the Union" links to a BBC story about a survey on Scottish Independence. In that story it says 48% of people want Scotland to remain in the Union. Again there's no link to the actual survey or details of who the respondants were margin of error etc.

The Telegraph writer takes these entirely seperate surveys and comes to the conclusion that the UK is more popular among NI catholics than the English. Even if you had the raw data of the survey you couldn't draw that conclusion because they're two different surveys with two different sets of questions. The only way to compare opinion on the UK between people in NI and Eng is to carry out the same survey in both areas.

There is always bias in reporting of surveys, there is clear bias here, the writer uses these surveys as a basis to go on an anti SNP and EU rant.

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

They didn't just report on it, that's an opinion piece and it uses some dodgy tactics to come up with the headline that the UK is more popular with NI nationalists than English people.

"52% of NI Catholics want to remain in the Union" links to a Belfast Telegraph story on the survey you mention above. There's no link to the actual survey, what the question was, who the respondants were, margin of error etc.
"48% of English people want to keep the Union" links to a BBC story about a survey on Scottish Independence. In that story it says 48% of people want Scotland to remain in the Union. Again there's no link to the actual survey or details of who the respondants were margin of error etc.

The Telegraph writer takes these entirely seperate surveys and comes to the conclusion that the UK is more popular among NI catholics than the English. Even if you had the raw data of the survey you couldn't draw that conclusion because they're two different surveys with two different sets of questions. The only way to compare opinion on the UK between people in NI and Eng is to carry out the same survey in both areas.

There is always bias in reporting of surveys, there is clear bias here, the writer uses these surveys as a basis to go on an anti SNP and EU rant.

What he said.

Although, disregarding an article just because it was written for The Belfast Telegraph would also be a fairly sensible option.
@AntrimMan85
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 3:06pm
The figures presented are facts from a survery, as are the ones he references from the BBC, yes the rest is his opinion but those two are facts, he can't skew facts and figures. Fair enough there shouldve been info about the respodents and margin of error but seeing as its nearly always +/-2/3% can assume it is for this one too.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 3:12pm

The figures presented are facts from a survery, as are the ones he references from the BBC, yes the rest is his opinion but those two are facts, he can't skew facts and figures. Fair enough there shouldve been info about the respodents and margin of error but seeing as its nearly always +/-2/3% can assume it is for this one too.

Theres just too much unknown for this type of question I think. Theres 1250 people interviewed - where from for a start?

You'll get different results if you ask the question on the Malone Road compared to Crossmaglen.

Fairly sure i could get 100% if i stopped and asked 1250 people on the falls road.

Its a bit of a puff piece similar to Peter Robinsons comments on the subject this week. Its what the readers of the Telegraph want to read just like its what Robinsons electorate want to hear
@AntrimMan85
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Theres just too much unknown for this type of question I think. Theres 1250 people interviewed - where from for a start?

You'll get different results if you ask the question on the Malone Road compared to Crossmaglen.

Fairly sure i could get 100% if i stopped and asked 1250 people on the falls road.

Its a bit of a puff piece similar to Peter Robinsons comments on the subject this week. Its what the readers of the Telegraph want to read just like its what Robinsons electorate want to hear

Can you really see two universities not carrying out a survey in a fair and balanced manner? theyd destroy their reputations if their was any hint of bias in who was surveyed, what they were asked etc.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Can you really see two universities not carrying out a survey in a fair and balanced manner? theyd destroy their reputations if their was any hint of bias in who was surveyed, what they were asked etc.

Without knowing how the survey was carried out I honestly don't know. With any sample there is probably going to be some kind of bias - most likely unintentional. I doubt they bothered going to all corners of the 6 counties, ensuring every age range and social demographic was covered. But again, don't know exactly how they did it so i'd just be speculating.

Just going from personal experience I find the figure a little off.
@AntrimMan85
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:20pm

Who and where were they polling?

Run that poll again in Derry or North\West Belfast and see what the outcome is?
All these so called polls can be manipulated too much to take any notice.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:22pm
why would ya run it there?? ud get a biased outcome, again if you think two universities would carry out a biased survey and release results thatd ur opinion
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:28pm
nvidic,

If you actually believe that poll then you are being very naive.

Why don't you poll the NI Catholics on this forum and see what reaction\opinion they give. 

You will only every got a balanced idea if there was an actual vote.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i think if an election actually occured you might see a hell of a lot more catholics voting for it than 13% ..

would the south vote for it thoughLOL

You did vote for it in the GFA. There will be no corresponding southern poll.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

nvidic,

Why don't you poll the NI Catholics on this forum and see what reaction\opinion they give. 

What grounds is there not to believe it??
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

nvidic,

What grounds is there not to believe it??

Personal experience for one.
Did you read all the comments on the Belfast Telegraph?

Technically the poll could be 100% correct. 
However what questions were asked, who were asked, when were they asked etc...there is a lot of criteria unanswered to make me not believe in this poll or any poll for that matter.
Polls are too easily manipulated.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:48pm
Fair enough, I wouldnt have taken it as is were it a poll done by a company but the fact two uni's did it gives me faith in it.

Little consequence anyway as they wont be re-joining us in my lifetime.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:50pm

It's not about the universaties not being fair or balanced, it's about newspapers taking the results out of context and using them to prove something that wasn't asked.

Without knowing what the question was we don't know if 52% of Catholics in NI prefer being part of the UK for now, prefer being part of the UK until the RoI is back on a better economic footing, prefer being part of the UK for ever etc. The question that was asked and the options given are very important. I'm sure there are plenty of Catholics in NI who if they were asked would you like a United Ireland tomorrow, would look at the economic situation down south and say "nah you're all right", but if they were asked would you like a United Ireland at some point in the future when the economy of the Republic has improved then they would more than likely have a different answer.

But even without that, you can't take the answer of one group of people in a survey specifically about NI and then take the answer of a completely different group of people in a survey about Scotland and take their answers to unrelated questions as some sort of proof that NI catholics are more unionist than English people, which is pretty much what this guy did.

If you carried out a survey in Israel, and 55% said they would favour a separate Palestinian state. And then you carried out a survey in Jordan and 60% said they would prefer the West Bank to be returned to Jordanian control, could you then draw the conclusion that more people in Israel are in favour of an independant Palestine than in Jordan? Not without knowing what each survey asked them to choose between.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 4:52pm
Oh.

Everyone already said that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 134>
  Share Topic