You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Union flag to be taken down from Belfast city hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Union flag to be taken down from Belfast city hall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 134>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:03pm
They are up there 500 years now. I don't know of any other group in Europe where descendants of immigrants never integrated with the natives.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Planned protests about what exactly?

Prince Philip dying - they have added the Grim Reaper to their list of hate figures  
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

They are up there 500 years now. I don't know of any other group in Europe where descendants of immigrants never integrated with the natives.

WATP
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:10pm
horsebox.  He has sold communioncorp as far as I know to Bauer Media Audio for 100m.  Now I know it was subject to regulatory approval back in feb so not sure if that has gone through yet. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:15pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

horsebox.  He has sold communioncorp as far as I know to Bauer Media Audio for 100m.  Now I know it was subject to regulatory approval back in feb so not sure if that has gone through yet. 

Think it went through alright. A great deal to get for a barely profitable company.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 10:43pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:15pm
He's pissed himself. This is what I imagine you to be like if Steven Gerrard walked past you 
It would damage this forums' reputation
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:18pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/clairkeating/status/1380622871639253000
Long night ahead

Edited by tonyjaa - 09 Apr 2021 at 11:18pm
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:26am
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:05pm

Have always though about that. Don't know of any original colinies in the US where people still class themselves as British.
The dark side.. And the light
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Have always though about that. Don't know of any original colinies in the US where people still class themselves as British.
They may not class themselves as British, as their predecessors didn't want to pay tax, but the English influence on American culture cannot be underestimated, nor can the power and influence several families have had who are from this background and often married with each other and attended the same schools and universities in a way very similar to how British society works, or doesn't.

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:21pm
I know what I'm looking up for the last hour and a half of work.
The dark side.. And the light
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:25pm
yes the puritanical nature of parts of American society doesn’t come from nowhere. 

Edited by Baldrick - 10 Apr 2021 at 12:25pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
Did Journal publish an article from a Loyalist justifying the rioting in the north yesterday or was I imagining that?

We really are a strange little country in some ways.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Apr 2021 at 1:07pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

They may not class themselves as British, as their predecessors didn't want to pay tax, but the English influence on American culture cannot be underestimated, nor can the power and influence several families have had who are from this background and often married with each other and attended the same schools and universities in a way very similar to how British society works, or doesn't.

The Dutch, German, French and Scottish influence would also be pretty high if that's the case. Most of the ones I can think of off the top of my head (Rockefeller, Roosevelt, Du Pont, Hearst [Deadwood], Kennedy) aren't English or had very little English roots.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:48pm
There's a difference between having ancestry that is Dutch, French, German etc. and falling in with the dominant and prevailing culture there to get to the top. To get to the top you had to either pull off the American dream, like Rockefeller, famously the son of a con-artist, or marry into it or get into the Ivy League schools. Those last two are examples of what I mean. JFK's family spent a lot of time and money into getting his family into this establishment, including trying to pull off the famous accent.

If you are solely interested in ethnic backgrounds and family names you could have a look at the list of Brahmin families of Boston, but a lot of those names you mentioned are married into or connected with established families. The Du Ponts are closely linked to the Astors, for example, with many of those mentioned having kids going to Harvard etc. 
The connections are all in the Episcopalian, puritanical world, regardless of their own background. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 10 Apr 2021 at 1:53pm
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm
The hillbillies were born and (in) bred from all the protestant immigrants

Hence the name
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 134>
  Share Topic