You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Hibernian F.C. Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 1:57pm
St Mirren currently 1 0 up live on sky now.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 3:00pm
Hibs now 2 1 up and deserve to be.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 3:54am
The majority of Hibs fans online do seem quite delighted he's gone. 

The biggest complaints being the signing of players on high wages who have been fit and available for selection but are frequently left on the bench. 

Their biggest complaint being Lennon's penchant for "team selection bingo". 

They were also not impressed with him refusing to do interviews when they were on a long losing streak only to suddenly take all the credit when they beat Celtic - this was something that the highly unpopular former Hibs manager Bobby Williamson also used to do.

Lennon should start afresh and go out to Australia, the USA or Canada and manage a club there, I bet he'd do well too.

Gordon Strachan has just been linked with the team he supported as a boy but I don't think he'd take charge of a club where he can't throw around a couple of million in cash.

Graham Arnold, Australia's manager, supposedly wants to have talks with the club whilst the interim manager, Eddie May, doesn't want the job.

The current Livingston manager, Gary Holt, would be a good appointment in my opinion.

Holt has done as well as can be expected at Livingston, sets his teams up to attack and has shown he is willing to trust young players with a first team place rather than bringing in an entire team of mediocre, aged journeymen like other managers would do. Livingston would quite rightly want compensation for him however.

I'd love the inimitable Kenny Shiels to come back to Scottish football. Hibs should consider him too. Kilmarnock had a good team that relished a battle when he managed them.

Is he not managing in the North currently ? He was a great laugh, took the rip out of the press, the SFA board and loved winding up both sides of the Old Firm. The Kilmarnock fans loved him to bits, he only left because of a falling out with the skunk who used to run the club.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:27am

The wheels came off for Kenny Shields at Derry City quite suddenly after he had done some very good work. They overachieved for a couple of years but with the loss of key playing personnel (one in tragic circumstances) it was bound to catch up with them. However, they went on a long losing/ winless streak and he looked a beaten docket at the end. He is defo an interesting character anyway. 

Would Hibs have the funds to tempt someone like Steve Clarke from Killie?
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:48pm
Kenny Shiels would be an awful appointment! I agree with the rest.  Lenny passed the buck upstairs a lot and tried to play to the gallery and while I concede he had bad luck with injuries this season, management is all about results. He made a rod for his own back on a few occasions too, particularly when he said he should have finished second last year and felt he underachieved. That was ill-thought out to say in public, even if he may have had a point. I think his public flogging of Kamberi was when the wheels really started coming off.
I think he really has the patience to deal with players he understands or share his enthusiasm and attitude for the game. It must be incredibly frustrating when players don't care the way you do, and he certainly cares, probably too much. 
I do hope the rumours that are circulating are just that though, he is better than that.

I can't imagine Clarke going there. I don't think the job is as attractive as it seems. I also think it is possible that Rodgers might leave Celtic in the summer and Clarke would be top of any list to replace him. Even if not, he can only enhance his reputation at Kilmarnock. Were they to fall away and finish fifth or sixth, people will still remember the run to the top of the table and say he didn't have the finances, get them to finish in the top 3 and it will be deemed, rightly, remarkable.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
NL gone, think there's still more to come out of this yet 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The wheels came off for Kenny Shields at Derry City quite suddenly after he had done some very good work. They overachieved for a couple of years but with the loss of key playing personnel (one in tragic circumstances) it was bound to catch up with them. However, they went on a long losing/ winless streak and he looked a beaten docket at the end. He is defo an interesting character anyway. 

Would Hibs have the funds to tempt someone like Steve Clarke from Killie?

Thanks for the reply Hammered regarding Kenny Shiels Thumbs Up

Shiels was great entertainment when he managed here. He looked for an argument absolutely everywhere. One thing I remember he used to do with the football reporters was to give them a "death stare" whilst they asked a question and had a very long pause before asking "sorry, what's your name again son ?". The scowl and gravelly Northern accent added to the affect. LOL

With regard to Steve Clarke and Hibernian. Aye, Hibs probably could pay Kilmarnock the compensation they would rightfully ask for but given Clarke's achievements with them they would want plenty. it would quite probably eat into the player transfer and wages budget. Clarke would also want his assistant Alex Dyer along with him too so that's another expense.

Given that he has it so good at Rugby Park just now, I can't see why he'd want to go to leave for Hibs where instant results will be demanded by the fans and the board and there will be more media attention too. I would stay in Ayrshire where the going is good.

And what a job Clarke has done at Killie when you look at it. Clap

Taking an awful team seemingly destined for relegation, completely demoralised players, on a long winless run and no money to spend at all. Ending the season fifth and now still up there near the top. 

Kilmarnock are now playing attractive, attacking football. Young players are at the heart of things. They are not afraid to have a go at Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen. Crucially for a club of their size and resources, attendances have gone right up. 

He's brought in a few free transfers and loan signings but it's still mainly the very same players who were at the club when they were in the doldrums that he continues to use. Clarke has got inside their heads and turned them into winners.

Naturally I want him to be McLeish's successor Wink

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Kenny Shiels would be an awful appointment! 

That wouldn't have anything to with the events of March 18th 2012 at Hampden Park would it PM ? Tongue
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:37pm
Was that his League Cup win? If so, definitely not. There are enough lunatics in Leith, they don't need another.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Was that his League Cup win? If so, definitely not. There are enough lunatics in Leith, they don't need another.

Aye the cup win it was. 

He was at the fans celebrations of Kilmarnock's 150th anniversary a couple of weeks back having a wee dram with the fans and joining in with the sing songs. LOL

Tommy Burns got a big cheer and round of applause when his achievements as player and manager there were mentioned.Clap
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

And what a job Clarke has done at Killie when you look at it. Clap
No doubt.

Crucially for a club of their size and resources, attendances have gone right up.
"Gone right up" is a bit misleading.

Yes, in his first season (2017/18), Killie increased attendances by 9%, and by a further 20% on top the season after.

But the absolute figures were:
2016/17 - 4,964
2017/18 - 5,391
2018/19 - 6,510 (to date)

Compare those with attendances from eg 1998/99 (first season  of SPL):
1998/99 - 11,736
1999/00 - 9,419
2000/01 - 8,224
2001/02 - 7,621
2002/03 - 7,408
2003/04 - 6,966
2004/05 - 5,931
2005/06 - 7,071
2006/07 - 7,564
2007/08 - 6,181
2008/09 - 5,726
2009/10 - 5,919
2010/11 - 6,427
2011/12 - 5,537
2012/13 - (Incomplete figures)
2013/14 - (Incomplete figures)
2014/15 - (Incomplete figures)
2015/16 - 3,946

Considering they haven't been relegated during that period, nor have moved stadium, crowds seem to vary dramatically at that club. And Clark took over at an absolute low, meaning that if he could manage without the money which big crowds bring*, then there should be potential to restore attendances yet further.

* - Huge credit on that front.

Edited by Territorial - 31 Jan 2019 at 2:56pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:11pm
A 9% increase followed by a further 20% is big for a club of Kilmarnock's stature. Not my words but my cousin. The latter is a thirty year plus season ticket holder and his family are shareholders at Kilmarnock. He tells me that that many half season tickets were bought over Christmas and Easter. So I think I will be taking his word (someone that actually goes to the games and takes the club's off field affairs seriously) for it over yours.

But if you want to just float around making petty points then carry on.Thumbs Up

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 31 Jan 2019 at 3:13pm
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm
Erstatz, any idea why Lennon has gone?  Was it him being too impatient with players underperforming and crossing a line or was there something regarding his own discipline or what was it?

I think he's a far better manager than he's given credit for, but I must say I have been surprised Hibs didn't kick on this season after playing some excellent stuff last season (Losing McGinn of course wouldn't have helped).

Just curious as to the "real" reason he's gone.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:35pm
FW - I've been following the Lenny story a fair bit on the BBC Scotland Sportsound podcast and from what I can gather (although there could another non football story) it seems Lenny felt that Hibs should be a serious challenger to Celtic this season and he hasn't been supported by the board and has made this feelings on this quite publically. Lenny's annoyance can be traced back to the John McGinn and Dylan McGeough transfers at the end of last season, McGinn was set to go to Celtic in return for Ryan Christie and a fee (which for Lenny was the best deal), but instead the Hibs board went for Villa's offer instead. He was pissed off over that and didn't get the transfer kitty he wanted despite Hibs having record Season ticket sales for this season. In the meantime, Hibs form has fell off a cliff and are way behind the Huns, Dons and Killie as the main challanger. There is a suggestion that the board were looking for a reason to sack him without having to pay compensation but have bottled it when Lenny got his solicitors involved. Hibs captain David Gray more or less killed off an disciplinary case by saying the dressing room row was nothing out of the standard dressing room fare. I doubt the reason Lenny left was the same reason why Stubbs left..Wink

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 31 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Erstatz, any idea why Lennon has gone?  Was it him being too impatient with players underperforming and crossing a line or was there something regarding his own discipline or what was it?

I think he's a far better manager than he's given credit for, but I must say I have been surprised Hibs didn't kick on this season after playing some excellent stuff last season (Losing McGinn of course wouldn't have helped).

Just curious as to the "real" reason he's gone.

I'm not a Hibee but the poster "DoonTheSlope" over on the TAMB is and he posted this just a few hours ago which might interest you:

"I think it’s more of a culmination of incidents over the past few months rather than one incident in particular that seen him emptied

Going awol after losing at Tynie, refusing to do media duties and leaving it to Garry Parker for weeks on end during a bad spell the suddenly re-appearing after the Celtic game, constantly berating Florian Kamberi in public when he continued to play a system and players who were just as culpable as Florian Kamberi, saying Hibs had reache their peak last season mentioning a glass ceiling had been broken, always saying he was re-evaluating his future after bad results, his refusal to play a fully fit David Gray, him spitting the dummy out at Ofir Marciano on the touchline when he went off injured, numerous touchline bans and questioning players professionalism into question saying at the AGM the only reason that Dylan McGeouch hadn’t been injured lately was because his contract was coming to an end

Acting like a petulant child

He also showed disrespect by leaving in the middle of training camps to fly to Celtic supporters functions and missed a couple of pre-season games to do TV work in Ireland, he should look at his own commitment first before questioning Florian Kamberis who once missed a family funeral for a game against St Johnstone

There'll be 4 sides to the story that what really went on, the players, manager, the board and the truth

His tactics these past 3 months are abominable, changed the system at Half Time on Sunday and there was a huge difference. 3 wins in 15 is as bad as Terry Butchers last 15 games

If he thought that Hibs were going to challenge for the league every year then he’s off his head, considering it’s no secret that Hibs are run by penny pinchers 

The last year has been as exciting as it’s been in my lifetime watching 5-5, 5-3, 6-4 and other goals galore games but Hibs and Lennon was never going to end in kisses and cuddles"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:43pm

A 9% increase followed by a further 20% is big for a club of Kilmarnock's stature. Not my words but my cousin. The latter is a thirty year plus season ticket holder and his family are shareholders at Kilmarnock. He tells me that that many half season tickets were bought over Christmas and Easter. So I think I will be taking his word (someone that actually goes to the games and takes the club's off field affairs seriously) for it over yours.

But if you want to just float around making petty points then carry on.Thumbs Up
I wasn't making any "petty" points (I assume you mean pooh-poohing SC?), merely pointing out some facts.

Which is that whilst Clark's progress has clearly been hugely impressive all round, as I freely acknowledged, re attendances, these should be seen in the context that the increases we've witnessed on his watch have followed on from an historical low: i.e. under 4k the season before he took over, as against nearly 12k seventeen years previously, with an average of nearly 7k in between.

But if you will only accept the most positive possible spin on such matters*, then I'd happily agree that so long as he stays at the club and maintains his success, then there must surely be potential for him to attract even bigger crowds in seasons to come.

There.

Happy now?

* - On your cousin's behalf, at least.

Edited by Territorial - 31 Jan 2019 at 4:43pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I wasn't making any "petty" points (I assume you mean pooh-poohing SC?), merely pointing out some facts.

Which is that whilst Clark's progress has clearly been hugely impressive all round, as I freely acknowledged, re attendances, these should be seen in the context that the increases we've witnessed on his watch have followed on from an historical low: i.e. under 4k the season before he took over, as against nearly 12k seventeen years previously, with an average of nearly 7k in between.

But if you will only accept the most positive possible spin on such matters*, then I'd happily agree that so long as he stays at the club and maintains his success, then there must surely be potential for him to attract even bigger crowds in seasons to come.

There.

Happy now?

I think with all due respect that I'll definitely be taking a season ticket holder of thirty years who you know, actually goes to the games and knows what the hell he's talking about better than some know it all who wants to argue about tiny, sad points .

End of. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 31 Jan 2019 at 4:50pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

There.

Happy now?

I think with all due respect that I'll definitely be taking a season ticket holder of thirty years who you know, actually goes to the games and knows what the hell he's talking about better than some know it all who wants to argue about tiny, sad points .

End of. 

God, you don't know how much you've hurt me.

Now you've ended it, I think I'm going to need counselling...
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:51pm
Thanks for that Ersatz Thumbs Up
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic