Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most overrated/underrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most overrated/underrated
    Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:51pm
Who do you think is the most overrated/underrated Irish player in the current era and in history?
I would go for current as O'Shea overrated and Kelly underrated. Always felt Lee Carsley and Matt Holland were really underrated and Ian Harte was made out to be a lot better then he was.
Sponsored Links

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:55pm
O Shea and McClean ...overrated...............Ciaran Clark is underrated..
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:42pm
Gibson for me the most underrated player.some of the crazy jibes you hear about him is shocking.
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:49pm
bk8811 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk8811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Who do you think is the most overrated/underrated Irish player in the current era and in history?
I would go for current as O'Shea overrated and Kelly underrated. Always felt Lee Carsley and Matt Holland were really underrated and Ian Harte was made out to be a lot better then he was.

sean morrison at reading centre half has had a few good games for them scored a few too 
and gleeson at mk dons underrated 
darron gibson under-rated and mcclean over
dunno if robbie brady is over-rated or under-rated would like to see him play at club level
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:57pm
Kenny Cunningham for me. Caught badly for pace at times and shouldnt have been keeping Dunne out of the team. I know Dunne was just coming onto the scene but he should ve been in ahead of Cunningham, more of a goal threat as well imo
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

That is disgusting
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Gaillimh Abu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaillimh Abu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

That is disgusting

LOL
To try and fail is understandable but to fail to try is inexcusable
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:21pm
Under-rated iin my time watching Ireland, Gerry Daly, goalscoring midfield player with United and Derby, scored some crucial goals for us.

Over-rated in my time...........Jaysus, that's a tough wan.  
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:47pm
Overrated: McGeady
Underrated: St Ledger
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

overrated? The guy gets constant abuse despite a very good assist record of late!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:07pm
Mcgeady is playing for a team in the champions league whilst StLedger doesnt make the bench for a championship side, that said StLedger has not done a whole lot wrong for Ireland.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

overrated? The guy gets constant abuse despite a very good assist record of late!

For the amount of games he has played his goal scoring and assists record are just not good enough Marko!
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Kenny Cunningham for me. Caught badly for pace at times and shouldnt have been keeping Dunne out of the team. I know Dunne was just coming onto the scene but he should ve been in ahead of Cunningham, more of a goal threat as well imo

I'd completely disagree with that. Cunningham was a very good reader of the game defensively and a really effective leader and organiser of the back four for us. I'd be interested to hear some specifics on these multiple occasions that he was supposedly exposed due to a lack of pace? He was at fault for Suker's winner in Zagreb during the euro 2000 qualifiers but that was a rare lapse in the otherwise fairly impeccable positional sense he generally displayed playing for Ireland.

While Richard Dunne has gone on to be a truly outstanding player for us there's no way I'd have selected him ahead of Cunningham between 1999 and 2002.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Mcgeady is playing for a team in the champions league whilst StLedger doesnt make the bench for a championship side, that said StLedger has not done a whole lot wrong for Ireland.
going to be hard for any player to make the bench when he's injured
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 4:11pm
Overrated - McClean, McGeady, Doyle

Underrated -  Gibson. Brilliant footballer.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 4:16pm
All Time
Underrated: John Sheridan, Kevin Sheedy
Overrated: Tony Cascarino, Jason McAteer

Current
Underrated: Joey O'Brien, Ciaran Clark
Overrated: James McCarthy, James McClean

Edited by KING-CON - 02 Dec 2012 at 4:21pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'd completely disagree with that. Cunningham was a very good reader of the game defensively and a really effective leader and organiser of the back four for us. I'd be interested to hear some specifics on these multiple occasions that he was supposedly exposed due to a lack of pace? He was at fault for Suker's winner in Zagreb during the euro 2000 qualifiers but that was a rare lapse in the otherwise fairly impeccable positional sense he generally displayed playing for Ireland.

While Richard Dunne has gone on to be a truly outstanding player for us there's no way I'd have selected him ahead of Cunningham between 1999 and 2002.

Well that's what forums are for tony. We're not going to always agree on things. Can't remember specific games but I think there was one friendly against Nigeria at home before the WC but I could be wrong on that. Cunningham was pretty good at full back for Wimbledon but I think Dunne would ve been a better asset. Dunne had a maturity about his play from day one so I don't think experience would ve went against him and unlike Cunningham he was more capable of getting us a goal on set pieces. Dunne for me any day.

Plus I fcuking hate Cunninghams analysis and fork scrapping of a plate voice Wink
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic