You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Oasis Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I think Be Here Now is incredibly underrated
Fantastic album.  Oasis’s b-sides beat Blurs A sides. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:28pm

Be Here Now's problem is it is far too long (71 minutes for 12 tracks which should be 10 or 11) and it's dreadfully over produced. Production is everything. If you listen to the stuff the original producer Dave Bachelor did on Definitely Maybe, it's woeful and had they gone with that, as could easily have happened given Creation were down on their uppers, Definitely Maybe would now be a long forgotten curiosity rather than the landmark it became. Mark Coyle and Owen Morris transformed it in terms of sound.

In 1997 there was a widespread expectation that Oasis were about to release a Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band type record in terms of significance. Britain was in the grip of 1960s nostalgia and it was exactly 30 years later. But Oasis were coked off their heads and had crossed over the line to the wrong side of arrogance.

It isn't as good as the first two records and was never going to be, but it could easily have been a very good record in it's own right, certainly a lot better than it turned out. It's still decent and has some very strong tracks but the production really f**ks it.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:41pm
that Johnny Depp “howdy” on fade in/out Cool
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:29am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

They do in their hole
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:37am

Noel has done a few Podcasts with Matt Morgan over the past couple of months if anyone is arsed listening to them

El Puto Amo
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:49am
Whatever and The Masterplan are just immense.

The Masterplan is a B side which is mind boggling. As said above their collection of B sides trumps most bands A's
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 11:39am

totally agree with this

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Noel has done a few Podcasts with Matt Morgan over the past couple of months if anyone is arsed listening to them

When the last good song Noel wrote?  I'd say Little by Little and that is nowhere near the level of 1994-1996.  He is bad folk singer now.

I'd also put Oasis decline down to hiring the likes of Gem Archer and going away from their Manchester roots.

Pity Guiggsy and the Bonehead left.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

They do in their hole
Oasis b-sides probably beat Oasis a-sides. Despite doing some absolutely dreadful stuff that hasn't aged at all well, Blur probably have the slightly better stuff overall. 

I do think Oasis were the last great musical movement though and that's why they are more loved. Class was certainly an aspect, but I think they were the last of a chain of British bands that were the sound of their generation and time. Started with The Beatles and ended with Oasis and ran from Merseybeat to Britpop. No individual band has been as important since and are unlikely to be due to nature of the world. The fact that they had that punk attitude made ordinary lads empathise with them too. I might prefer Blur, but I wanted a night out with the Gallaghers.  I think every male music fan in the 90s, particularly if they were also into football,  wanted a session with them. Even now, I  would rather listen to Noel being a pound shop Morrissey(having started out as a pound shop Johnny Marr) than listen to Alex James talk about cheese.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

They do in their hole
Oasis b-sides probably beat Oasis a-sides. Despite doing some absolutely dreadful stuff that hasn't aged at all well, Blur probably have the slightly better stuff overall. 

I do think Oasis were the last great musical movement though and that's why they are more loved. Class was certainly an aspect, but I think they were the last of a chain of British bands that were the sound of their generation and time. Started with The Beatles and ended with Oasis and ran from Merseybeat to Britpop. No individual band has been as important since and are unlikely to be due to nature of the world. The fact that they had that punk attitude made ordinary lads empathise with them too. I might prefer Blur, but I wanted a night out with the Gallaghers.  I think every male music fan in the 90s, particularly if they were also into football,  wanted a session with them. Even now, I  would rather listen to Noel being a pound shop Morrissey(having started out as a pound shop Johnny Marr) than listen to Alex James talk about cheese.

f**k off with your sh*te LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 1:34pm
You might have heard of them, some people really liked them.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:54pm
Both great bands imo. Oasis are great to listen to on a night out or getting ready for a night out. Would rarely listen to them on a normal day. Some fantastic sing along anthems and their more mellow stuff is class by and large. They do have a fair bit of filler throughout their career tbf like most bands. People seem to dismiss Blur without giving them a proper listen. Absolutely fantastic back catalog, not just the more popular songs. Mightn't have had as many anthems as Oasis but the quality and variation of their music makes me keep coming back to them. Both were class anyway. Someone said how bad Noel's modern stuff is. I quite liked his first album. Liam knows the formula that works for him now, his solo stuff is off the same template as Oasis. Doing something different didn't work with Beady Eye. He knows what works anyway and is battering away successfully with it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:31pm
Would agree with that. I love Oasis when I am drinking, but not sure I could listen to a full album now. There's a few Blur albums that I still listen to reasonably regularly. I'm listening to 'Leisure' now and enjoying it, even though it has been a while. 'Sing' is probably my favourite Blur song.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Both great bands imo. Oasis are great to listen to on a night out or getting ready for a night out. Would rarely listen to them on a normal day. Some fantastic sing along anthems and their more mellow stuff is class by and large. They do have a fair bit of filler throughout their career tbf like most bands. People seem to dismiss Blur without giving them a proper listen. Absolutely fantastic back catalog, not just the more popular songs. Mightn't have had as many anthems as Oasis but the quality and variation of their music makes me keep coming back to them. Both were class anyway. Someone said how bad Noel's modern stuff is. I quite liked his first album. Liam knows the formula that works for him now, his solo stuff is off the same template as Oasis. Doing something different didn't work with Beady Eye. He knows what works anyway and is battering away successfully with it

Spot on. 

I love both bands but Blur's music is a lot more varied and technically superior than Oasis's. Oasis made a bigger impact though on the music scene. Blur were around longer but never exploded onto the music scene the way Oasis did. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:03pm

Would agree with that. I love Oasis when I am drinking, but not sure I could listen to a full album now. There's a few Blur albums that I still listen to reasonably regularly. I'm listening to 'Leisure' now and enjoying it, even though it has been a while. 'Sing' is probably my favourite Blur song.

Listened to it recently again and I love in Trainspotting how it gradually builds into the end of the baby death scene and it gets louder and louder in the scene when they're running down Princes Street from the shop security guards.  

One of Blur's best songs alright. Clap 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:23pm

Listened to that album earlier, myself find it really underrated. The band don't seem to particularly like it themselves but some very strong songs on it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:25pm
Definitely 'Turn up the Sun'
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

'Hello', they played it there one day at Tynecastle, real soccer song.

It's a great tune to open a gig with it Clap

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic