You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Oasis Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The documentary Supersonic is quality

Behind the music one is good as well, with the English narration on YouTube, just before SOTSOG, a bit more uncut I prefer it

I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Bring It On Down. f**king hell I still blast it on the daily. Criminally underrated and Creation Records and the band really f**ked up there not having it exposed as a single. Drums on the whole let DM down
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Bring It On Down. f**king hell I still blast it on the daily. Criminally underrated and Creation Records and the band really f**ked up there not having it exposed as a single. Drums on the whole let DM down

I remember one year in the point they opened with that, was carnage!!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

I remember one year in the point they opened with that, was carnage!!
Lucky, I was born in 93, would have loved to have seen them mid 90s!

carnage in the I&UK 
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:16pm
Acquiesce
Supersonic
Slide Away 
Girl in the dirty shirt
Hello
Morning glory
Sunday Morning Call

All brilliant tunes but barely scratching the surface here.
The one band where I find it next to impossible to do them justice with a small such a small list. Suppose it shows how good they really were.
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:29pm
Supersonic
Americanisms View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Americanisms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:27pm
Was there ever a thread made for best Blur songs, or was it a short lived thread? Oasis are very good, but I think Blur are much better, seems to be a minority or unpopular opinion
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Americanisms Americanisms wrote:

Was there ever a thread made for best Blur songs, or was it a short lived thread? Oasis are very good, but I think Blur are much better, seems to be a minority or unpopular opinion
Blur are a better band musically,  but they didn't have anywhere near the same cultural impact.  I prefer Blur, but Oasis understood the masses: perhaps unintentionally!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Blur are a better band musically,  but they didn't have anywhere near the same cultural impact.  I prefer Blur, but Oasis understood the masses: perhaps unintentionally!

Oasis had the cultural impact they did because they had amazing songs and a singer who had one of the greatest voices ever heard in music. And they did it while being signed to the effectively bankrupt and shambolically run Creation Records. They would have been a massive success in any era, but they seemed to arrive at a perfect moment, they literally couldn't have chosen it any better had they tried. Acid house had declined and diversified, Madchester had gone, and Kurt Cobain shot himself five days before their first single was released, British guitar music had gone into a lull.

They created an energy and a swagger from which the whole of popular culture in Britain from 1994 to 1997 seemed to feed, but especially working class northern popular culture. The resurrection of British guitar music in popularity, the rise of the Premier League, popular television programmes like “Our Friends In The North”, Euro '96, Labour's election landslide. What I mean by that is that much, most or even all of that would have happened anyway but it would have felt very different. It's like imagining the 1963-1967 period without The Beatles. Oasis were like the cultural water that the whole of Britain swam in in that whole mid 90s period. You couldn't escape them. It was their world and everybody else was living in it.

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 2:45am

Love both bands but Blur would shade it for me...Pretty drunk now but best songs at a random pick now would be
Trimm Trabb
No Distance Left to Run
Under the Westway
You're so Great
End of a Century
For Tomorrow
There's no Other Way
Death of a Party

Was at Open'er festival in 2013 in Gdansk. They were headlining in which was their first ever show in Poland...Was class seeing how excited people were for it!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:05am
Blur were for middle class college goers and Oasis were for the working class brickies
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:43pm
Sad Song,sung by LiamClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:54pm
Gas panic is a f**king tuneClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Gas panic is a f**king tuneClap

Proper tune that.

I think Oasis pissed all over Blur really

Edited by Shoco - 24 May 2020 at 8:10pm

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:34pm
In Supersonic they show Oasis rehearsing in 1993 playing 'All Around the World'.  Yet it didn't appear until their 1997 album.   They really should have held back those B sides for the 3rd album and put some of the stuff off of Be Here Now on the B sides instead.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:26pm
The love of Oasis comes from way more than just music. For many people it was the first and perhaps only time they really connected with music. 

But. if you drill it down they had 2 goodish albums and nice B-sides but they churned out so much sh i te subsequently. I don't know how people still think the Gallaghers are musically relevant (not to mention politically...who gives a sh*te what NG thinks about Europe, or anything else?). 

They did incredibly well to exploit their modest talent. Whatever Noel had for that initial couple of years it deserted him badly; it would seem it was almost a fluke (i.e. 3 good years, 13 bad).

While Blur are not world beaters, there is serious talent there and some brilliant albums (13, in particular). It's not that Blur are for college people, it's that Blur are for music people. It's not a class thing at all.

Edited by Beavis - 24 May 2020 at 9:27pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:35pm
I think Be Here Now is incredibly underrated
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:36pm
oh and ps... just my opinion but I definitely think class comes into it 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic