You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Brolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salzburgnordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:44pm
JOeClap
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:51pm

Joe Brolly devastated by failure of kidney transplant to friend

Updated: Tuesday, 13 Nov 2012 14:47

Joe Brolly: &amp;quot;There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that.&amp;quot;
Joe Brolly: "There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that."

All-Ireland-winning footballer and RTÉ analyst Joe Brolly has spoken of the devastation he suffered on hearing his kidney donation to a friend had failed.

The 43-year-old barrister from Derry told RTÉ News at One it was an agonising time but he "would do it all again tomorrow if he could".

The organ that was transplanted to Shane Finnegan last month stopped working when complications were discovered nine days after the major operation.

Brolly said Shane's wife called in the middle of the night to tell him the operation had failed. He said despite claims Shane's body had rejected the organ, the kidney was in fact starved of oxygen because of a blood clot.

"There was obviously deep disappointment," he said. "The kidney that had been working perfectly had to be taken out. There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that.

Brolly said he "would be trying to get on", adding that he has started back running and hoped to return to work next month.

"But for Shane it's different" he said. "Because the stakes are very high, it wasn't really the sort of game you could afford to lose. For Shane, it was obviously was a hammer blow.

"The clock is ticking and he needs a kidney from a live donor urgently. He is very weak, he has lost a few stone and is very frail but mentally he is very strong."

Brolly insisted people should not be afraid of being a living donor.

"The scientific community isn't sure why we have two kidneys," he added. "You only need one kidney. Once you are healthy, you can be a living donor.

"If someone were interested, they can easily contact me, north or south. If someone put their hands up, the process is excellent, you know it's something well worth doing. I would do it all again tomorrow if I could."

He said it's been a great lesson for his children and the wider community, including St. Bridget's GAA club, where both he and Shane coached at under-age level.

During his time in hospital he said: "You could see lives being saved everyday".

There are currently 600 people in the Republic waiting for a kidney transplant, 200 in Northern Ireland - including Shane Finnegan.

Brolly added: "Between eight and 10 percent of those will die without getting a kidney and it's an awful waste, because if people filled out a donor card, it would make a massive, massive difference to other people's lives."

Edited by rolo - 13 Nov 2012 at 2:52pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:06am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:53am
It's really not. It's more self indulgent hyperbole. "If it wasn't for the GAA we would be America" is bombastic, anti historic sh*te. Of course the GAA is important to people and broadly does good, but so does every sport, but it entirely ignores the conservative history and commercial present of the organisation. It genuinely reads like he was on his second bottle of wine and had tears in his eyes writing this guff
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:07am
all his 'stories' are made up, complete bullsh*tter
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
Young Joe drove past me in his seven series when I was sitting in my AMG not last Tuesday evening around 5pm when I was parked up on Old Channel Road in Belfast.

Gave him a wee wink and a wave and he waved back. Gent of a man.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:43am
Joe hates Norn Iron so top man for me.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Young Joe drove past me in his seven series when I was sitting in my AMG not last Tuesday evening around 5pm when I was parked up on Old Channel Road in Belfast.

The window from my office looks onto that road Finty

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:56am

I was going past in the other direction in the Batmobile and beeped over but you both ignored me. I was very hurt by the snub and nearly spilled some of the Moet Dom Perignon White Gold that I was quaffing at the time. Imagine if I ruined my Dolce & Gabbana suit with that? I'd have to take the Lear jet over to my favorite Saville row tailor to get it replaced. 

El Puto Amo
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:57am
Good man Baggio I was parked there illegally for 23 minutes......cause I'm a rebel.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Joe does indeed drive the aforementioned beemer.... I had the tunnel closed one night, you know with loads of cones and signs and the electronic gantry signs too when he pulls up and inquires if the tunnel is closed. useless little tale that though but his car reg is in the English style I believe as opposed to Nordy and ends in 'GAA' 

Edited by Sham157 - 09 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:46pm
That's a good drop you were drinking
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:47pm
You what now? 
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:48pm
Does he really drive one of them? That was pot luck.
Lotto numbers this week are 1 7 13 23 28 31. Thanks. Hope you opened tje tunnel for the man
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm

Lotto numbers this week are 1 7 13 23 28 31. Thanks. Hope you opened tje tunnel for the man

What ConfusedLOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:54pm

It's a beemer, a big one and does indeed have th reg plate ending in GAA. There was some awards night on in Dublin that night. I thought at the time it was a 5 series but I didn't check that too closely when I seen the reg plate.

young AntrimMan can verify (to a degree) as we were discussing a trip or something at the time.

Oh and no, he was sent on his way via East Wall Road, Poplar Row, Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Road and onto the M1

Edited by Sham157 - 09 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

It's really not. It's more self indulgent hyperbole. "If it wasn't for the GAA we would be America" is bombastic, anti historic sh*te. Of course the GAA is important to people and broadly does good, but so does every sport, but it entirely ignores the conservative history and commercial present of the organisation. It genuinely reads like he was on his second bottle of wine and had tears in his eyes writing this guff

He was definitely drunk writing it, there was no attempt at coherence whatsoever
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

It's a beemer, a big one and does indeed have th reg plate ending in GAA. There was some awards night on in Dublin that night. I thought at the time it was a 5 series but I didn't check that too closely when I seen the reg plate.

young AntrimMan can verify (to a degree) as we were discussing a trip or something at the time.

Oh and no, he was sent on his way via East Wall Road, Poplar Row, Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Road and onto the M1

Well that solves last night's shooting. Sham the boss man sending out Joe the hit man Brolly
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic