You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:53pm
Good to see Long performing well.

Thank goodness for Dyche for giving Irish players a chance to show what they can do in the big time. There are fewer and fewer (what I would consider) 'Irish-friendly' managers plying their trade in the Premier League these days, with the likes of Bruce, Pulis, McCarthy, etc now operating at Championship level. Moyes getting the West Ham job has at least given Rice's and Cullen's careers a boost. British and Irish managers are simply more likely to give Irish players a fair crack of the whip. Would many non-Irish/UK coaches have given Duffy an opportunity to play top-flight football, as Hughton has done? And he's done very well. Foreign ownership and the present vogue for appointing managers from further afield is one of several reasons why Irish representation in the PL is now so low. O'Neill getting the Stoke job would have been welcome from that point of view.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 04 Feb 2018 at 10:56pm
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:58pm
The reason Irish representation in the PL is so low is becuase were not producing players of high enough quality.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:15pm
One of them - yes. Nobody denies this. England having fewer PL players to pick from means that dual-qualified players who may once have thrown in their lot with us are now far more reluctant to do so, knowing their chances of receiving at least one England cap are that much higher than once was. So a once healthy supply-line has been cut off.

There are several contributing reasons.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 04 Feb 2018 at 10:17pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

One of them - yes. Nobody denies this. England having fewer PL players to pick from means that dual-qualified players who may once have thrown in their lot with us are now far more reluctant to do so, knowing their chances of receiving at least one England cap are that much higher than once was. So a once healthy supply-line has been cut off.

There are several contributing reasons.

Yes and the main factor is that we as a nation are not producing enough good young players at a high enough rate, it's really that simple.

We as a country need to stop depending on the English footballing system so much in regard to our national teams.

It's not a myth that the more money thrown at grassroots and offering cheaper coaching courses to young and enthusiastic coaches that it will eventually yield results.

Edited by Green Devil - 04 Feb 2018 at 10:25pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:29pm

Good to see Long performing well.

Thank goodness for Dyche for giving Irish players a chance to show what they can do in the big time. There are fewer and fewer (what I would consideration) 'Irish-friendly' managers plying their trade in the Premier League these days, with the likes of Bruce, Pulis, McCarthy, etc now operating at Championship level. Moyes getting the West Ham job has at least given Rice's and Cullen's careers a boost. British and Irish managers are simply more likely to give Irish players a fair crack of the whip. Would many non-Irish/UK coaches have given Duffy an opportunity to play top-flight football, as Hughton has done? And he's done very well. Foreign ownership and the present vogue for appointing managers from further afield is one of several reasons why Irish representation in the PL is now so low. O'Neill getting the Stoke job would have been welcome from that point of view.

I don't think it's 'vogue' as much as there are a better standard of managers from further afield.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:32pm
It's a mix of both, the standard of the league is immeasurably higher than it was in our heyday of the 1990's, and we're producing slightly less quality, add those things together and it's no surprise we have less Premier League players. As well as that, foreign managers are probably less familiar with Irish players and therefore less likely to go for them.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 10:50pm
I certainly wouldn't disagree with that, but I was talking more specifically about why there aren't as many Irish players in the Premier League as in years gone by.

In terms of a more holistic, longer term approach, Iceland has presented a very good blueprint in this regard: better coaches; more of them; and an investment in infrastructure, including all-weather pitches and indoor facilities. An all-Island approach probably ought to be taken.

All of this would take a commitment to significant investment over a long period of time and the sort of competence and organisational skills hitherto unseen from the FAI - but we can all dream.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 04 Feb 2018 at 10:51pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The reason Irish representation in the PL is so low is becuase were not producing players of high enough quality.

Sham stop talking sense, its not like its '88.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
Ben Mee is out for the remainder of the season at Burnley and Kevin is back in the team.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 3:56pm
Scores with a header as Burnley go 2 up within the first 10 minutes against Leicester.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 14 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:12pm
starting to establish himself as a Premier League defender... great to see
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:19pm
He's at the age that he can't afford to be sitting on the bench all the time though. Needs to assess his options in the summer.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
He's impressed me quite a lot since he's broken too, a solid defender, tidy on the ball, and a surprising turn of pace. Just goes to show that you can never tell who'll end up being a good option!

Edited by The O'Shea - 14 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's impressed me quite a lot since he's broken too, a solid defender, tidy on the ball, and a surprising turn of pace. Just goes to show that you can never tell who'll end up being a good option!

He's looked quite good whenever I've seen him play, and the Burnley fans seem quite happy too.

The fact that he kind of came from nowhere isn't exactly rare for us. You can almost always count on some unknown lad just emerging and winning himself a place in the squad, every fews years. 

Our options at centre-back are as good as they've been in about ten years I think. While Clark hasn't seen much game time of late, between himself, Long, Duffy and Rice, we've four international standard centre-backs.

You'd be very hopeful that Duffy and Rice will both be playing at bigger clubs than they are currently at in the next few years. Shane could probably play for a solid mid-table side, while Rice could potentially play for some of the leagues bigger teams within the next three seasons.

Factor in the two young lads at Leeds - who have a lot of potential, there's also some solid championship standard defenders in Keogh and Pearce, while a few of our under-21 defenders have impressed out on loan in league 2. 

We've all of the above options, without even considering that Conor Masterson may very well get his breakthrough at Liverpool very soon. (Although I'm not too confident that Liverpool will be the club that he makes his career at).

And as I said, another lad or two will hopefully fly under the radar and pop up out of nowhere.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:15pm
Yep did very well today i must say , now would have got MOTM but Pope was outstanding for the Clarets . Still he has done ever so well and a super header for his goal also . 

Edited by Claret Murph - 14 Apr 2018 at 8:16pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:42pm
Burnley a goal down to Chelsea. Kevin Long with an own goal.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:23pm

Burnley a goal down to Chelsea. Kevin Long with an own goal.

Wasn't his fault really. Nick Pope was to blame for it.
The only way is up
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 6:26pm
Sean Dyche full of praise for Kevin after he came on as sub today for the Clarets.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
  Share Topic