Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Robbie Brady was a midfielder last time I checked. McCarthy is better than Cork, and Arter is around his level too. The great Steven Defour has 1 assist so far this season, and has at times struggled to get into Burnley's side, but he's the great player we're missing! I'm sure you'd regard him just as highly if he was Irish rather than Belgian.
Robbie Brady is not a central midfielder, nor will he ever be.
James McCarthy might well have been better if he wasn't constantly injured. Arter is a very average player who had a good run of form once, though the argument is there that Jack Cork could be having similar now. In fairness though, Cork showed far more as a young fella to lead me to believe that this is just a case of the right blend of maturity and the right manager for him.
Steven Defour is one of only  four players to have been involved in all 17 of Burnley's EPL games, starting all of them. That is quite an achievement for somebody who struggles to get into the side. I also don't get this Americanism that has drifted in to football of assist statistics, it is largely irrelevant and a little erroneous. Nevertheless, I wouldn't see 'assisting' as a huge part of his game, I would have assumed that was more Gudmundsson's role in the side. Defour wins the ball back and starts their counter attacks, a neat and efficient player with a good range of passing.
 The point I was making, is that it is a team game and we  are lacking in important facets of making a good team at the moment. I believe the manager must take some criticism for that, but overall I think he overachieved.
Your last comment, even though it was facetious,  shows how much you are missing that point by.
Jack Cork is one of the most underrated players in the PL. Loved him at Saints and would far prefer to have him in m team than McCarthy. Obviously injuries have held him back but he's ever been consistantly good
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:29pm
Long had a very good game last night i must say , now will he keep his place in the Burnley team when Mee is fit again is a very good question .
As for 4th place Clarets ( sorry just had to say that once ) they have some very fair players nothing too great as everyone knows , but it's Dyche has them playing as a team . I looked at the Stoke players ;last night and they have some very good players and one wondered why are they where they are in the league , i think it's easy to guess . 
Now i have seen all the Burnley games this season they work well but it's not pretty but it works for now , hey finish in the top half of the league and most Clarets will be very happy .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:45pm
If the argument is that it is possible to overachieve as an international team by maximising the limited player resources that we have to do better then of course that is correct but the same could apply to any of the teams that haven't qualified for the world cup, it doesn't make us any better than we are and in terms of player quality I'd hardly say we are underachieving by making the play offs. If you were to select a combined Denmark-ROI team out of the players involved in the matches then you would have 10 Danes and Shane Duffy.
Secondly Burnley are something of an anomaly, you can't just pick one side that reaches a high placing in one of the top leagues at one point in the season as our benchmark. You have to look at the overall quality of the top finishing few teams at the end of the season to gauge our relative level. There are never any Irish players in the champions league these days for a reason.
Thirdly if we had Gudmundsson who creates goals regularly and Wood who scores about one in three at the moment in the premiership that would still make us a significantly superior team to one that includes either Shane Long ,who hasn't offered any kind of goal threat at club or international level for 2 years or Daryl Murphy who would get in to no premiership team and which has no creative equivalent to Gudmundsson (Hoolahan now being on his last legs) and none imminently emerging on the horizon.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:13pm
Dropped.
We're decent enough..
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:39pm

Dropped.
Yer hard done by but another clean sheet .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:43pm

Dropped.

Needs to get out of there
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:05pm
MOTD reckon Tawkowski might have a 3 game ban coming his way so would be Long who popps back in
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 9:01am
Kevin will be playing today, but Wardy is injured.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Kevin will be playing today, but Wardy is injured.
Not heard anything too much about Wardy but i think he may be out for a couple of weeks at least . 

Edited by Claret Murph - 23 Dec 2017 at 11:19am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 6:42pm
Silly tackle to give away the penalty.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
Seems to have had a difficult day at the office so far.
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 3:47pm
Solid v Man Utd so far. Just pulled off a fantastic block v Ibrahimovic
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:58am
Should be back in the side at Newcastle on wednesday.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 1:24pm
Starting today v Man City, playing okay so far has got one or two good blocks/interceptions in, picked up a yellow card for a late tackle near the end of the half.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:03pm
Played well. Hendrick also played very well in a deeper midfield role.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 3:24pm
I will give Kevin MOTM today . 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 7:05pm
Kevin being highly praised on the Burnley forum for the consistant performances he has put in this season when he has been called upon.
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 8:09pm
great to see him finally get his chance in the premier league. been round the block a few times along the way.
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2008–2010Cork City16(1)
2010–Burnley31(0)
2010–2011→ Accrington Stanley (loan)15(0)
2011–2012→ Accrington Stanley (loan)24(4)
2012→ Rochdale (loan)16(0)
2012→ Portsmouth (loan)5(0)
2015–2016→ Barnsley (loan)11(2)
2016→ Milton Keynes Dons (loan)2(0)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
  Share Topic